PDA

View Full Version : have two oil leak that I need help with

Dominicano
03-05-2010, 11:03 AM
So my cars starter shorted out because of an oil leak that saturated the starter. The dealer fixed the starter for me but I denied the service to fix the leak for now because it only happens under pressure. They wanted 90 bucks for the parts and close to 350 for labor. They also noticed another leak at the valve covers which they wanted 610 dollars for that and an extra 290 if the plugs are messed up.

I have a V6

1> Need to change the CAM Bore plug seals and The distributor seals.

2> For the valve cover resealing gasket, spark plug seal and oil cap seal.

The weird thing is that I got this car the 60K service (belt, plugs changing) about 1.5 year ago and I have only added 6000 miles on the car since and the starter that shorted out was only 3 years old from when I changed it with Denver. so why didnt the other dealer catch it then? well whatcha gonna do lol.

So if you guys have any tips that can help me tackles this it would be great

silversurfer
03-06-2010, 04:34 PM
fix the oil leaks but always get two quotes maybe from someone u know and trust too.

Dominicano
03-06-2010, 07:19 PM
yeah I didn't say I wasn't going to fix the leak i just need to know if anyone has done it before with any tips as I want to do it myself.

Stewi
03-06-2010, 08:20 PM
The cam bore seals are the seals that sit at the end of the cams behind the cam gears. This means you will need to remove the timing belt in order to do it. The Valve cover gaskets its just a matter of removing the intake manifold then the valve covers and replacing them. You should change the valve cover gaskets and the little gaskets that go around the spark plug holes all at once. I would let a shop do the cam seals unless your confident in doing the timing belt yourself.

Dominicano
03-07-2010, 12:13 AM
The cam bore seals are the seals that sit at the end of the cams behind the cam gears. This means you will need to remove the timing belt in order to do it. The Valve cover gaskets its just a matter of removing the intake manifold then the valve covers and replacing them. You should change the valve cover gaskets and the little gaskets that go around the spark plug holes all at once. I would let a shop do the cam seals unless your confident in doing the timing belt yourself.

you know I had the dealership do the 60K service to change all the belts and there was one piece they were trying to take out but it snapped it was a gear on one end. I have to take a look at my paper work, could it be while they fixed this piece is why I have the leak?

fatal1
03-07-2010, 12:25 AM
i agree with brian have the shop do the cam seals...the calve covers etc are easy...i actually did mine semi recently and it only took about 2 1/2 hrs start to finish with a few breaks in between

Dominicano
03-07-2010, 12:32 AM
yeah I looked at my paper work the crankshaft sprocket had broken off when they were doing my belt changes.

I agree as far as the cam bore I did not know it involved removing the timing belt i can follow directions good but never done that.

qnz
03-07-2010, 12:51 AM
i dont think they change the camshaft seals and valve cover seals at 60k service normally.