PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Modz....

01Galant
03-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Yo wassup i just turned 15, and my mom is buying me a clean 2001 galant from this indian dude whos visa expired, anyways, its a nice car its the GTZ i think, its got some intake thingy, flomaster, and american racing rims...

So yea i found TGC and didn't know there were so many mods, anyways i have a job but it dont pay much and i was just wondering what some cheap mods were that i could do. Plus i have barely any experience with cars, but my dad could help me..... SO yeah maybe not a hard mod but i was just looking for something to save up for and spend some time on the car to make it nicer. \

Thanks Dan

run1206
03-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Cheap
Reliable
Fast

pick two

forgot who mentioned that quote here but still applies. Common starters are Intake/Headers/Exhaust. The last two require working on the car in more detail. Other mods are the Manual Transmission swap, Outlander Intake Manifold Swap, turbo swap, and Head swaps.

post up pics when you can
Enjoy the site. Don't forget to use the search feature, alot of info in the Tutorials section.

blue8g
03-05-2010, 06:41 PM
i know platano had that in his sig before he was banned ^

beam514
03-05-2010, 06:48 PM
When you say you want your car to be "nicer," in what sense do you mean? Looks or performance?

infliction
03-05-2010, 07:33 PM
no offense to the new member and new driver. but it seems like the car already has a healthy start on performance mods.
he may not agree, but i dont think the car needs to be any faster at this point.
i'd suggest lowering it. and maybe replacing the wheels.. american racing wheels are usually pretty heavy.. and not good looking :/

but lets see some pictures so we know what we're dealing with ;)

Galantfan88
03-05-2010, 08:18 PM
The GTZ models are vary nice with its interior and the way it performes with the v6 3.0 motor....I would say the car is pretty much set.

It really depends how much you want to spend or what you really wanna do with the car. Intake is good with exhaust work on it...not just the muffler im talking headers and down to muffler. Lowering the car would be also nice and i gatta see the rims to judge them. Get some pix up...but if you wanna go alil more further with the car you got some good stuff when it comes to swapping the 6g75 motor in but hey good luck and welcome to TGC.

If need help just ask

IceDouTGaLanT
03-05-2010, 08:45 PM
I leave the car alone performance wise,since your a new driver its pretty quick from the batt. I'd start with some cheep DYI mods, which can be found in the tutorial section. Maybe add some tints, Hids, things which will benefit you driving while setting you apart from other galants.

krow
03-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Drop it + rims (together if possible). Good luck and sound nicer than my first car at 15!

iisaac021
03-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Hey im 17 and i got my 1st car in october which is an 99' es model my first mod was my sound system...get used to driving your car before you start adding peformance parts..start with looks Rims/Tints/Sound/Bodykit

Da_Prodigy
03-05-2010, 09:54 PM
well performance wise your pretty much set from what you said it already nothing really else that is cheap that you can do atm. For looks you can clear the corners interior led conversions, tint windows, customise the grill, lower the car, change the front seats, upgrade sound system. To get ideas on what to do just read through the hundreds of pages TGC has on "Customizing your 8G" to get ideas on what to do and how to do it and how it will look.

iisaac021
03-05-2010, 09:56 PM
It just doesnt get any better than that prodigy

Da_Prodigy
03-05-2010, 10:00 PM
btw don't get crazy and start racing other cars or speeding just take your time getting used to how the car handles. Don't wanna see your galant in the graveyard or you getting hurt:orangesigh:

01Galant
03-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Yea as far as the safe driving goes.... I would totally take on another galant if i saw one but i know its hecka stupid so i wouldnt.

As for pictures, its not my car yet... the guys visa expires in April and hes leaving on APril 1st so thats when i get it... He said the rims were $500 ea and they look better than half the rims i see on the road nowadays.

As for what i wanted to change, i was thinking like looks wise

and i live in CA so neons are illegal, but does anybody know to what extent? Like can i keep them in the inside of my car and just have them on when its parked. I would love to get a neon license pl8 and light up under the hood and the interior. But im not sure if they are illegal.....

I kinda wanna replace the dash lights, it seems like a good mod to start with, gonna hit them up with some deep blue and make the needle transparent.

He said the stereo system is already premium or something

Also, what exactly does tinting mean? like tinting the lights, windows or what? and isnt it illegal or something?

In addition, i think it would be sick to do the grille but it seems kinda hard...

Whats a body kit?
Whats a HID?

SOZ
FOR
THE
NUB
Questions

starh4x
03-06-2010, 12:11 AM
chill chill you don't wanna throw a bunch of tacky stuff on the car, there not bad looking cars anyways with just a drop and some nice wheels.

we wanna see pictures!

Galantfan88
03-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Yeah you dont really need to go far at all to make the G's look bad ass... a good lowering kit and nice rims just do it man. The car already has a decent sporty look to it and last thing you want is a big wing...tinted lights, and other stuff thats a big nono on Galants. American Racing rims are a nono for me...get rid of those and just get Evo rims or just other ones that look good on the car. Like I said do go crazy with body kits or anything else, the car looks great the way it is...just lower it with nice rims and HID to go with.

G-spot
03-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Neons and under 18?...situation like that are kinda sound all too familiar for your age. You can do the easy way and get it right the first time without much regrets from just by listening/taking notes from what these people has to say since the majority has experience with this or you can proceed the hard way and get "a red nugget", placed on the ignore list, and get internet flamed really poorly. We had one like you not too long ago and unfortunately for him, he had to learned it the hard way. Luckily for him, he actualy got smart and did it right.....on his 3rd try :106:

01Galant
03-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Ok So im still left with a few questions

1) whats an HID
2) whats a body kit
3) how much would some evo rims cost
4) how much would each one cost?

01Galant
03-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Neons and under 18?...situation like that are kinda sound all too familiar for your age. You can do the easy way and get it right the first time without much regrets from just by listening/taking notes from what these people has to say since the majority has experience with this or you can proceed the hard way and get "a red nugget", placed on the ignore list, and get internet flamed really poorly. We had one like you not too long ago and unfortunately for him, he had to learned it the hard way. Luckily for him, he actualy got smart and did it right.....on his 3rd try :106:

Gotcha ditch the neon lights idea.... too cliche ?

01Galant
03-06-2010, 12:50 AM
The reason i want to know about all this stuff before i even have my permit is because i read somewhere on this forum that i should plan what i want to do with my car then save up for it on the way.

So i was wondering what i could do, rims seem a little bit outta my price range atm so i guess im gonna have to live with my american racing.....

Still looking for some ideas,

2 Criteria,

Somewhat Cheap
Not Illegal

Things im looking at right now:

Grill Mod

Clearing Corners

Replacing dash lights and making the needle transparent

Really want some neon inside my car, maybe i will just get 2 blue lights and put them where you step into the car

Still looking for some more suggestions

01Galant
03-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Should i take off the words on the back of the car for a more clean look or is this a no no?

E_Emerson88
03-06-2010, 04:13 AM
dude, this is your car. you dont really have to ask people here what to do with your car. the more you ask, the more negative comments your gonna get if you havent already noticed. use the forum and learn before you ask, good luck

Da_Prodigy
03-06-2010, 06:52 AM
i recommend you look through the car garage in here or search cardomain.com to get better ideas on how your car could potentially turn out.

mrg7243
03-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Not trying to disrespect any of the previous posters but honestly just do what you like, alot of these guys say do this and do this, but its your car not theirs. ITs what ever makes you happy. I cleared the turns on my car, and a few people said thats the past, get with the new and keep them. But hey i like them and noone can change that. Just google around, car domain, this forum, theres a few other forums, to get ideas for what you like. As for EVo rims, check out evomn.com they always have rims for sale. Another pointer, is all suspension things, like sway bars, bushings, shocks, springs, and what not, can be used from an 2000-2005 eclipse. And most motor performance

01Galant
03-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Not trying to disrespect any of the previous posters but honestly just do what you like, alot of these guys say do this and do this, but its your car not theirs. ITs what ever makes you happy. I cleared the turns on my car, and a few people said thats the past, get with the new and keep them. But hey i like them and noone can change that. Just google around, car domain, this forum, theres a few other forums, to get ideas for what you like. As for EVo rims, check out evomn.com they always have rims for sale. Another pointer, is all suspension things, like sway bars, bushings, shocks, springs, and what not, can be used from an 2000-2005 eclipse. And most motor performance

one of the most heplful posts yet..... Yea the only reason i made this thread was to narrow down the hard stuff that i cant do, to some of the easy stuff i can do :8G: :072::072::072::072::072:

03-Galant-ES
03-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Ok So im still left with a few questions

1) whats an HID
2) whats a body kit
3) how much would some evo rims cost
4) how much would each one cost?

HIDs are High Intensity Discharge gas bulbs. They are brighter then normal halogens which you have now, but seeing as you have reflectors they will blind people if you go above 35w. You can get them at ddmtuning between 29.99+shipping and 49.99+shipping.

Body kits, price varies and you can look at other members builds in member rides forum. http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n67/sargesagara/part%202/galantvr42tl.jpg that is a super vr4 body kit, you can get this on your car with light modifications and you can get it from Cali over at SoCal autowerks in fg at a nice price. Or you can get it from trigg for like double what cali charges in oem abs(plastic material)
If I were you since you are a new driver avoid body kits right now as you will most likely scrape something or someone.

Evo Rims it depends, but if you go over to evoM.com, the evo forums, you can probably get a good deal on them without tires and then get 225/45-17(if you get 17'' evos) for around 100 or so each so 900-1000 after tires and allignment. There are members on here that can get you good deals on tires as well.

If your car is not lowered I would suggest lowering it, that is one of the first things I have done and I love it. This is in my honest opinion. Dont do anything you see on fast and the furious, although a fun franchise they know nothing about cars. Stay away from neons, tinted lights, Boeing 747 wings, non color matched body kits, spinners, coffee can mufflers and etc. Keep your car clean and you will be much happier.

wow. just plain ignorant. you just disrespected almost everyone on TGC in one post.

yeah he did haha

01Galant
03-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Ok How do i lower it? Do i have to buy a kit? maybe u could drop me a nice link...

dude he likes hondas lol... :097:

i used to ride hondas for dirt bikes but now im a yamaha man, 2stroke and 4stroke

:icon_notworth:

Also thanks to 03 galant es, another extremely helpful post

01Galant
03-06-2010, 11:58 AM
oh and to lower a car there are a few options

1.) cut stock springs (don't do this)
2.) lowering springs (Best for a DD imo)
3.) adjustable springs
4.) full coil-overs (most recommended)

:squish:

Whats a "DD"?
Whats cheapest and whats the easiest

Maybe you could post a link to a few sites that sell these?

blue8g
03-06-2010, 12:01 PM
:squish:

Whats a "DD"?

Anyways could you drop me a link?

daily driver

springs = http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1588

full coil-overs http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2515

adjustable springs = http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-02-03-04-05-ECLIPSE-COIL-OVERS-COILOVERS-SPRINGS-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27af2ab3ddQQitemZ17 0442535901QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcce ssories (garbage)

01Galant
03-06-2010, 12:18 PM
daily driver

springs = http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1588

full coil-overs http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2515

adjustable springs = http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-02-03-04-05-ECLIPSE-COIL-OVERS-COILOVERS-SPRINGS-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27af2ab3ddQQitemZ17 0442535901QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcce ssories (garbage)

I like those s-tech springs, is it $297 for ea or for 4 of them. Hard to install or do they need to be done at a shop :nono:

blue8g
03-06-2010, 12:27 PM
247 for the set of 4, i installed them with a friend of mine in his garage, but if you go that route i'd recommend buying a set of kyb gr2/agx or some other shocks/struts because the oem one's won't mix that well with new springs

oh and i linked you a set for a 4 cyl the set for a 6 is 255

03-Galant-ES
03-06-2010, 01:22 PM
This is where I got mine from http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tein-99-03-MITSUBISHI-GALANT-S-Tech-Lowering-Springs_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eab415125QQite mZ200441680165QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5f Accessories

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/weirdo1808/100_2360.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/weirdo1808/100_2120-1.jpg

That is my car lowered

johnygezony
03-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Focus on getting a job first and getting all the preventative maintenance done first, and then once your car is healthy, then you can go one an start to change its looks. Its an old car and things will start going wrong, so if you want to stay on the road, save up some money and give it a through look around or take it into a shop for a routine check up.

8g831
03-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Just do what u want with your car man,in this board you will find every question your possibly looking for just search,i suggest some wheels,a drop,maybe a lip once you read up on it and some side skirts for now till you get a bit older, learn about the cars performance and possibilities with it and then do some engine work

01Galant
03-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Alright everyone thanks for the advice, i think i have an idea of what i want to do now, but can i ask if grill mods tend to turn out oK?

starh4x
03-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Alright everyone thanks for the advice, i think i have an idea of what i want to do now, but can i ask if grill mods tend to turn out oK?

so whats your plan?

polishmafia
03-06-2010, 10:26 PM
If anyone would like to continue talking shit, please go on. The disrespect and bullshit in this thread is an absolute horrible display of who and what TGC is made of.

For those that turned this thread into a complete CF and made me waste 20 minutes of my time cleaning up the thread, see you in 48 hours. :)

Da_Prodigy
03-06-2010, 10:38 PM
ouch two people banned

polishmafia
03-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Actually three... You can be the 4th if you'd like.

Prophet
03-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Actually three... You can be the 4th if you'd like.

I don't think he meant any disrespect Pete...

Pete is right... everyone let's get back to helping a new member to TGC on the right track... I didn't see any of the negative posts but lets be helpful and grow the community vs destroying it with negativity...

So with that being let's get back to topic or we will just lock this thread and the OP can either make a new one or do a search...

OMEGA PHX
03-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Well back to topic, The first thing, you should do all the maintenance required, change fluids, have it scanned in Pepboys (its free) or any major automotive store, write down the codes and bring them here so you know what is needed to be done.

After that If I were you I would save up money to buy some lowering springs and shocks, the lowering springs depends on how much you want to lower the car there are many springs like Eibach, Megan, Tein, Progress and they all have different drops. The Teins are the most used in this community and in a above post there are photos of a car using them, just need to search your application 99-03 V6 Galant or 00-05 V6 Eclipse as they share the same suspensions and engines. All the springs packages come with all 4 necessary springs. In the Tutorial section theres a How To so I encourage you to take a look there. When Installing Lowering Springs you should buy new shocks the most used are KYB GR2s or KYB AGX (they have adjustable stiffness and are more expensive).

After that I would go for the rims it doesn't matter if you dont have the money right away just save up for them, its worth it, the rims are whats going to make you really fall in love with your car, you can buy some OEM Evo rims or you can look around in the forum, you can look at this thread https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=40332&highlight=favorite+wheel take ideas. The rims buy most be 5 x 114.3.

I know it a long read but it should be helpful, for me when talking about looks these two things are the most important.

Mike_ODell
03-07-2010, 12:08 AM

I tried to make a grill but didnt come out as clean as I wanted....If you do it buy a spare from a junkyard thats what I did. Used the one from the junkyard as my project but I found out I am not the greatest at making it I cut all the fins out but the middle brace killed me.:rtard:. lol. Maybe its something you are good at:thumb:. Give it a try and good luck if you try it and read the tutorials on it over and over before doing it. This is the most helpful site for a galant. Ive fixed and upgraded everything on my car because of previous threads. Keep searching and searching....its on here.

Id save for lowering and rims. That is the most noticeable change that will make your car stand out. Browse craigslist for deals on wheels...might find used ones real cheap.

Im still waiting to find a great deal on a lowering setup myself....oh keep checking the for sale section on here. Might find some useful parts in there from time to time.

#1 tip - be patient and dont rush into anything.

cheap mod that you might like is tinting your tails (of course if you like that look).

I used VHT nightshade(ebay) but I did a lite coat and then clear coat. Didnt want too dark because you might get a ticket/repair order.

anyways best of luck!:bigsmile:

01Galant
03-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Well back to topic, The first thing, you should do all the maintenance required, change fluids, have it scanned in Pepboys (its free) or any major automotive store, write down the codes and bring them here so you know what is needed to be done.

After that If I were you I would save up money to buy some lowering springs and shocks, the lowering springs depends on how much you want to lower the car there are many springs like Eibach, Megan, Tein, Progress and they all have different drops. The Teins are the most used in this community and in a above post there are photos of a car using them, just need to search your application 99-03 V6 Galant or 00-05 V6 Eclipse as they share the same suspensions and engines. All the springs packages come with all 4 necessary springs. In the Tutorial section theres a How To so I encourage you to take a look there. When Installing Lowering Springs you should buy new shocks the most used are KYB GR2s or KYB AGX (they have adjustable stiffness and are more expensive).

After that I would go for the rims it doesn't matter if you dont have the money right away just save up for them, its worth it, the rims are whats going to make you really fall in love with your car, you can buy some OEM Evo rims or you can look around in the forum, you can look at this thread https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=40332&highlight=favorite+wheel take ideas. The rims buy most be 5 x 114.3.

I know it a long read but it should be helpful, for me when talking about looks these two things are the most important.

The guy was my moms friend and stuff so i know he is telling the truth when he says he treated the car nicely. Anyways i will hit pepboys up and get that report for yall

Also why should i get new shocks when i get the lowering springs?

tjones156
03-08-2010, 04:45 AM
The guy was my moms friend and stuff so i know he is telling the truth when he says he treated the car nicely. Anyways i will hit pepboys up and get that report for yall

Also why should i get new shocks when i get the lowering springs?

Stock shocks on our G's are known to blow with lowering springs due to the higher spring rates in a short amount of time. Thats why its highly recommended to get new shocks along with your lowering springs. Minus well skip the hassle and go for coilovers. The height adjustability on them is a great feature to get the stance you want for your whip

Stepsascend
03-18-2010, 02:07 PM
The first thing i did when i got my galant was black out the tails. Do it yourself with that VHT niteshades spray. It only looks good on some colors IMO though. its quick, reliable, and cheap haha.

mrg7243
03-18-2010, 05:36 PM
why did 01 galant get banned???

OMEGA PHX
03-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Look in here-----> https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=40533

mrg7243
03-18-2010, 06:41 PM
ah i see