PDA

View Full Version : ignition switch broken... options?

qnz
03-06-2010, 09:32 PM
So I'm in the process of returning my GSX back on the road. It was stolen a few months ago and then found stripped a few weeks later. One of the things that was damaged was the ignition. The tumbler is currently ripped out. I saw the towtruck driver able to start the car with a screwdriver.

What are some options to getting this fixed?

How do you replace this part?

I think the steering lock is also related to the ignition? I can turn the wheel the whole way withouht the key

Is a push button starter fiesible at this point? what about keyless igntion systems like in some of the newest cars

WhiteGalant
03-06-2010, 09:56 PM
See if you can get an ignition out of an eclipse at the junkyard, get the vin number from the car u took the ignition from and go to the dealer and explain the situation.

ricky_db
03-07-2010, 01:26 AM
:FIREdevil: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=40033 :FIREdevil:

kolio
03-07-2010, 02:20 AM
i had to replace the tumbler in my jeep. the part is cheap, it's getting a locksmith to make it work with your key. it ran me $175 total. the part was like $50

i would look into the push button starts too

qnz
03-07-2010, 09:13 AM
thanks for the thread ricky

i didnt know a locksmitch could get the tumbler to work with any key.

how do I fix the steering lock? what is that connected to?

minesbroken
03-07-2010, 10:06 AM
I was toying with they Idea of a push to start. since there is a chip in the key in most Mitsubishi's though its tricky. I thought about using a transponder bypass module that would be triggered when I disarm the alarm to make the car think that the key is in, and having the alarm deactivate the module when it is armed. that way you still have security but it seems that your car doesn't have a transponder or the tow truck driver wouldn't have been able to start it with a screwdriver and it probably wouldn't have been stolen in the first place.
yours is simple but you should get an alarm with a starter kill so it doesn't happen again lol.

Stewi
03-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Aaron your best bet is to buy a used steering column assy with the lock and tumler and then have the locksmith code the ignition cylinder to your key. I know a good locksmith who works in queens, he did my friends civic for like $100 and he comes right to your house.

qnz
03-07-2010, 11:57 AM
$175 sounds better than $420 for the keyless ignition i guess

I was thinking about it since now is a good a time as any, but it is a luxury for a non-luxury car.

fatal1
03-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Aaron your best bet is to buy a used steering column assy with the lock and tumler and then have the locksmith code the ignition cylinder to your key. I know a good locksmith who works in queens, he did my friends civic for like $100 and he comes right to your house.

brian, would he be able to cut and program a spare key my outlander only came with one and obviously we would like another...my brother also needs an extra as his galant only came with one...

Stewi
03-07-2010, 08:57 PM
brian, would he be able to cut and program a spare key my outlander only came with one and obviously we would like another...my brother also needs an extra as his galant only came with one...

I dont think he can do chip'd keys. I think your only option for that is to order it from the dealer with the VIN#.

minesbroken
03-08-2010, 06:49 AM
there are a lot of locksmiths that do chipped keys now. There is Suffolk lock in lindenhurst for example. They can do any chip key and they come to you.

ricky_db
03-08-2010, 08:01 AM
my local stealership told me 50 for the key and 100 to program it lol. i told them no

qnz
03-08-2010, 09:01 AM

how hard is it to replace the steering column assembly? Could I give the GSX a better turning radius while this is out? hehe

Stewi
03-08-2010, 06:44 PM
how hard is it to replace the steering column assembly? Could I give the GSX a better turning radius while this is out? hehe

easy

I can pull out my steering column in about 15 minutes.