PDA

View Full Version : quick question about rear fender

Fresh_617
03-09-2010, 11:42 PM
hey guys me again....
2morrow is the big day but i was at the body shop and the guy told me something that stuck me kinda odd but at the same time it made sense...

he said if i shave the little grove on the inside of the fender where my tire is rubbing against that i am creating a opening for rust to set in?? i thought that the peice was solid so if it was cut that it will still be ok and not let the elements in but just by him looking at it he is saying that if u cut it that it will rust...

is there anyway around this?? i want my rims to fit for a few shows this season and 2 drive around looking nice but i dont wanna open my car to damage if i can prevent it...is there a way i can cut just enough so that there wont be a opening yet my rim will still fit flush without rubbing against anything?

i figured id bring my problem to my galant experts for their advice b4 i made my final choice

03-Galant-ES
03-10-2010, 12:14 AM
The rears can be cut slightly, there is a little lip where it can be cut, but that does open up a chance for the elements as it expose bare metal. If he puts it on a lift cuts the lip and then grinds it smooth then paints it it will be fine, just a few coats of flat black and a clear should do it. Nothing too bad, you could even rattle can the area.

The rear is one piece and is structurally integral to the car, so it is not wise to cut it.

I am going by experience with other cars that I have worked on at the body shop. I am only assuming its the same with the G, but I would wait for someone who has cut theirs before.

RAZ_76
03-10-2010, 12:17 AM
You don't have a rear fender, it's called a quarter panel. Whatever you do, do not cut that lip on the quarter panel. The quarter panel will lose its integrity if you cut that lip. The correct way of doing it is to fold that lip. With a heat gun and the right tool, it can be accomplished very easy.

Fresh_617
03-10-2010, 12:55 AM
yes this is what the guy adviced i do as well but he said the area would have 2 b repainted which i didnt wanna do that thill i went jdm

03-Galant-ES
03-10-2010, 12:59 AM
yes this is what the guy adviced i do as well but he said the area would have 2 b repainted which i didnt wanna do that thill i went jdm

If you roll it it shouldnt need to be repainted if he does it right

Fresh_617
03-10-2010, 01:02 AM
i seee so it can b rolled without repaint then?? i will inform the person that 2morrow

03-Galant-ES
03-10-2010, 01:17 AM
i seee so it can b rolled without repaint then?? i will inform the person that 2morrow

yeah make sure he uses a heat gun so the paint is more pliable.

Reelax
03-10-2010, 01:51 AM
my rear wells are cut and painted. they are not completely cut (still maybe 1/4"-1/2" left) so as not to compromise the well structurally but they are cut in an increasingly deep curve that gets deeper at the top to clear my tires and shallower at the front and rear of the well.