PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Catalytic Converter

Gtsnapper
03-10-2010, 10:38 AM
I have a quick question about purchasing a catalytic converter. I previously posted about the bank #1 pre-cat O2 sensor, on my (cali spec) GTZ I was changing. After changing it and driving for 50 miles I got a PO421 code, so I'm thinking that as I'd driven it quite a bit with a bad pre-cat O2 sensor, with a very rich fuel mixture, this would coincide with a worn out bank #1 catalytic converter.

So I'm looking around at some aftermarket (firewall side) catalytic converters, but my question is, I've also read customer reviews that although they had no problems with their aftermarket cats, some brands had no mountings to hold the heat shield, so they'd just gone without using them. Is this a good idea? considering I plan a road trip next month to the east coast, the car will have to withstand many hours of driving.

Thanks for reading.

ezekiel.glnt
03-19-2010, 03:03 AM
from what ive read the only reason the heat shield is there is to basicaliy warn folk not to touch there after uve been driving, someone correct me if im wrong ...

\\\\\\\\\\\\

Gtsnapper
03-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the advice. I've had a new Walker cat delivered, and will get that fitted within the next few days.

run1206
03-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Let us know what happens after the install. I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket cat converter as well, and I'm helping my aunt get one for her 02 ES; she throws the Cat Converter Below Efficiency code and can't pass inspections.

Da_silvagride
03-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Is everyone getting this code? I have been getting bank 1 senor readings on my check engine light. It turns on and off. On most long drives it turns off then turns back on later. Some people told its the cat and others have told its the sensor. What should i replace? Or do the O2 sensor trick and slip a spark plug washer on it and set it back in so it won't hit the stream of exhaust.

Gtsnapper
04-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the advice Guys, I've had the new cat on for a week now without the heat shield, no problems at all and thankfully no engine light anymore.

Now that problem is fixed and the weather is warming up, I can get on with some more mods. :)

ISMASG90
07-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Gtsnapper- Where did you get the cat from? thanks

Isaurio
07-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Is everyone getting this code? I have been getting bank 1 senor readings on my check engine light. It turns on and off. On most long drives it turns off then turns back on later. Some people told its the cat and others have told its the sensor. What should i replace? Or do the O2 sensor trick and slip a spark plug washer on it and set it back in so it won't hit the stream of exhaust.

Yeah bad O2 sensor. after a while they usually go bad because of the heat. Just replace the sensor. Or take it out and clean it.

plasmosis
09-25-2010, 08:48 AM
re : Catalytic Converter (http://www.allexhaust.com/magnaflowcatalyticconverter/)

My mechanic destroyed the eastern exhaust, Im trying to fin out if the walker caddilac conver could be a bolt on install.

bronxbombr
09-25-2010, 11:24 AM
i have brand new Walker cats right now for sale.

djhah
09-25-2010, 03:47 PM
I am having this problem I resently had the cat replaced and the code came back on I am lost myself.