PDA

View Full Version : Stock Fog Light Switch + Aftermarket Fog Lights

cscotty
03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Hey all. I searched and didnt find the answer so here goes:

I am trying to wire a set of aftermarket fog lamps to my OEM switch. I already removed the stock fog lights and now I'm ready to wire it up to the switch. The only issue is that I dont know how to do that.

Can someone help me out? I saw a few tutorials but they were about getting the light in the dash, or installing aftermarket lights separate all together.

Any and all help is appreciated. Oh, and here are the lights I purchased:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_WHITE-FOG-LIGHT-KIT-Pilot_12028716-P_N3151F_A%7CGRP2044____

Thanks,
Scott

03-Galant-ES
03-10-2010, 05:53 PM
are you doing independent fogs or just the way that stocks are so they work with low beams?

The easiest way to wire them is to either cut the stock wires or get a 899 male...I think its male and use the open ended wires to wire to hot wire and ground wire of the after market fog.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/weirdo1808/3-10-10-1-1.jpg?t=1268265651

Its one of the ends above, which ever the harness is on the car opposite of that, so I think that its is the male side.

Reelax
03-10-2010, 06:21 PM
ignore the tutorials you read regarding the dash indicator and such... those were for completely different issues... replacing the switch. you are working on the other side, replacing the foglamps.

if your new foglamps came w/ a bunch of wires and a new switch, ignore those. that stuff is used if your car is not pre-wired for fogs or if you are adding another set. in this case you will be using the re-existing wiring already present in the car (what used to power your old fogs).

each of the foglamps you purchased has 2 wires right? the old ones you removed had 2 wires right? there are two wires in each hole where the foglight cam out of now right? one is postive and one is negative. test them to find out which is which (it might not even matter since you are using halogens). positive on the foglight goes to positive in the hole and negative goes to negative.

now everything should work like before.

cscotty
03-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Cool Thanks Reelax. I'm gonna try that.

Sadly though, the fogs werent working when I purchased the car a few weeks ago. The fog on the driverside didnt have any wires going to it, and the fog on the passengerside had a wire on it. I will use a tester to see whether or not current is travelling through the lights.

The indicator does light up on the dash when I turn the lights on but they havent worked since I got the car.

Thanks,
Scott

cscotty
03-11-2010, 12:19 PM
ignore the tutorials you read regarding the dash indicator and such... those were for completely different issues... replacing the switch. you are working on the other side, replacing the foglamps.

if your new foglamps came w/ a bunch of wires and a new switch, ignore those. that stuff is used if your car is not pre-wired for fogs or if you are adding another set. in this case you will be using the re-existing wiring already present in the car (what used to power your old fogs).

each of the foglamps you purchased has 2 wires right? the old ones you removed had 2 wires right? there are two wires in each hole where the foglight cam out of now right? one is postive and one is negative. test them to find out which is which (it might not even matter since you are using halogens). positive on the foglight goes to positive in the hole and negative goes to negative

now everything should work like before.

hey man. I did just as you said and it works perfectly. First I tested each wire for continuity using my multimeter to know whether the wires were actually connected right and they were. Then I tried to select a wire and determine whether it was the geoundnor not by checking for continuity from one wire to a ground. Wel both wires showed a short so like you said it didn't matter. So I plugged up the bulbs to test them and they worked great.

Just in case anyone wants to know, there are two wires going to the fog lamps. A red wire and a black wire. I wired to ground coming from my aftermarket bulbs to the black wire and the white wire to the red wire on the harness. Everything works perfect. Pics coming soon.

Thanks again!

Scott

Reelax
03-11-2010, 05:12 PM
glad it worked out!

mtgraves2010
04-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the earlier info as well. I took out my old OEM fog-lights, and bought some custom fog lights on EBAY and put XENON bulbs in them. I used the fog-light assembly bracket of my old lights to install the new ones. Check it out...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3088591