PDA

View Full Version : HID kits for non projectors

tr1kst4nce
03-11-2010, 01:04 AM
My girlfriend has been bugging me to do some mods to her 2005 Galant ES for awhile now, so I thought I'd stop in here and see what kind of input/help I can get.

First, she wants HID's to match my Audi. It's clear to me without projectors she won't get the same kind of beam pattern, but none the less.

I don't intend to blow $200+ on a kit when she probably won't have the car for more than a couple more years. What are some good HID kits that are proportional in quality to cost? Any with a good warranty? Also, with the different wattages, I would think a 35W would be plenty since they aren't projectors? Experiences? Opinions anyone?

In addition, she's got daytime running lights, I would assume there is a fuse or perhaps a pin I can remove/bend out of place, but she lost the manual to her car... so.... how do I disable DRL's?

showtime
03-11-2010, 01:09 AM
ddm tuning...best hid kit I ever owned, and search the 9G how to section they might have a how to on disabling DRL's

showtime
03-11-2010, 01:10 AM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=34370

disable DRL ^

rocgalant
03-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes there are a lot of threads in this section talking about HIDs w/o projectors and disabling DRL. Luckily, there are only a few pages of threads in this section so it should be a quick search

tr1kst4nce
03-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Yes there are a lot of threads in this section talking about HIDs w/o projectors and disabling DRL. Luckily, there are only a few pages of threads in this section so it should be a quick search

Ah, there is a search feature. Sorry about that, I'm new to the whole "forum" thing. I'll get the hang of it eventually. Thanks for the help.

rocgalant
03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Yes, there is a search feature. But I didn't mean that you should type in a keyword and use that search button. If you just scroll through this section 'Customizing your 9G,' you will should find everything you need to answer your questions pretty quickly. I meant that there are only a couple of pages worth of threads in this section so you can quickly scroll through and find the answers.

tr1kst4nce
03-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Ah ok, thanks :)

Would I want to kick in the extra $20 and get the hi/lo kit from DDM tuning? Or do you think the standard lo's will be fine?

johnygezony
03-11-2010, 03:14 PM
get the hi/lo's if you want hi beams, the 9g housing is a dual-filament set-up. and since there are two filaments in a hi/lo or a shield of some sort then cut off's will be better.

OMEGA PHX
03-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Would I want to kick in the extra $20 and get the hi/lo kit from DDM tuning? Or do you think the standard lo's will be fine?

I think that the standard lows fine are but if you don't want to lose your high/lo functionality, then go for it, and you should buy the DDM digital slim ballast, as they use less current than the Apexcone, less stress to the car electrical system.

rocgalant
03-11-2010, 07:07 PM

I will let you know soon. I should the hi/lo 35w kit in the mail by tomorrow. I'll try to install and see how they do over the weekend, then post pics. From what I've read on this forum, people seem pretty content with just lows but they have projectors. And I think (can't remember exactly) they have the 55w.

The DDMtuning hi/lo kits do not have a separate bulb for the high beam. The bulb has a magnetic base so when you flick the high beam switch, it just moves the bulb, which changes the light pattern. You may not notice much difference between the hi and lo beams with these bulbs.

Also, there is no difference in electrical strain with the slim or normal ballasts.

This information is right on their website under the support- knowledgebase.

Hope this helps

tr1kst4nce
03-11-2010, 07:45 PM
The DDMtuning hi/lo kits do not have a separate bulb for the high beam. The bulb has a magnetic base so when you flick the high beam switch, it just moves the bulb, which changes the light pattern. You may not notice much difference between the hi and lo beams with these bulbs.

Awesome, yeah I was gonna get the 35W ones also so... let me know when you get them on and do some pics, that should help. If there's not much diff between hi and lo then I'll get just the lo.

Let me know. Appreciate it.

tr1kst4nce
03-13-2010, 01:44 PM
I will let you know soon. I should the hi/lo 35w kit in the mail by tomorrow. I'll try to install and see how they do over the weekend, then post pics.

whats the verdict?

rocgalant
03-13-2010, 02:57 PM
I tried to do it yesterday afternoon but I had my little girl in the backseat and felt guilty keeping her there for long. Didn't have anyone to watch her. I can post pics tonight of the ballast, bulbs and wiring harness. The slim ballast is surprisingly small. Maybe I just had the wrong expectations.

Anyway, I would advise looking into your engine bay now and planning a spot to place the ballasts. The engine bay is ridiculously tight. And if you have a 09 like me (don't know about the other years for 9g) you also have to contend with the strut bar (near the firewall) and front braces (near the headlight housing).

I'm going to try tomorrow morning. Hopefully, it's not raining and I'll knock it out then.

tr1kst4nce
03-14-2010, 05:01 AM
I'm going to try tomorrow morning. Hopefully, it's not raining and I'll knock it out then.

cool... lookin forward to it... my gf's is an 05, plus it's the 4cyl so it shouldnt be a problem finding a place to put them

rocgalant
03-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Sorry big guy. It's looking doubtful for today too. Effing rain all day yesterday and today. I may have to wait until next weekend to knock it out. It's such an easy job too. :011:

rocgalant
03-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Yeah it's a wrap for the HIDs this weekend. I'm working now. I was able to put some dynamat on my rear deck. Really easy job if your thinking about doing that. But omg, there is a plastic tab on either side of the rear deck's carpet, which holds the carpet in place. It's probably the most frustrating thing that I've dealt with on my car to date. It was super annoying taking off and even more annoying trying to put back in. I quit cuz I had to go to work, plus you can't really see it anyway.

tr1kst4nce
03-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Sorry big guy. It's looking doubtful for today too. Effing rain all day yesterday and today. I may have to wait until next weekend to knock it out. It's such an easy job too. :011:

Tease...

rocgalant
03-18-2010, 08:20 PM
So you're gonna love this (or hate it). I went to install the bulbs today and (drum roll)...they don't fit! I pulled half the base off the bulb, put my car's headlight locking ring on, then put the half base back on like I'm apparently supposed to. But when I tried to place the bulb in the headlamp and secure the locking ring, it wouldn't lock. Like the bulb's base or the bulb itself was too long. Well, smart me went and checked the package and of course, it's the wrong bulb. Now I'm probably gonna have to wait to send the bulbs back, then wait for them to send me the right bulbs. Sigh

tr1kst4nce
03-18-2010, 09:51 PM
So you're gonna love this (or hate it). I went to install the bulbs today and (drum roll)...they don't fit! I pulled half the base off the bulb, put my car's headlight locking ring on, then put the half base back on like I'm apparently supposed to. But when I tried to place the bulb in the headlamp and secure the locking ring, it wouldn't lock. Like the bulb's base or the bulb itself was too long. Well, smart me went and checked the package and of course, it's the wrong bulb. Now I'm probably gonna have to wait to send the bulbs back, then wait for them to send me the right bulbs. Sigh

Wait... what bulbs did you order? 9007? Cuz I just ordered 9007 today, and if they don't work, I need to know ASAP so I can stop the order before it ships.

rocgalant
03-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Wait... what bulbs did you order? 9007? Cuz I just ordered 9007 today, and if they don't work, I need to know ASAP so I can stop the order before it ships.

I ordered the 9007 hi/lo 35w kit but received 9004 hi/lo.

I read that you put 9007 into a 9004 headlight so I would assume that you could put a 9004 into a 9007 headlight. When I was trying to install the 9004 bulb, I was just about able to get the bulb in place and secure the locking ring, but I just couldn't get the ring to twist and lock in place. I guess that's for the best because after-all, it is a 9004 bulb, not a 9007 bulb and the hi/lo/ground plugs are different.

tr1kst4nce
03-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Something I just noticed... On DDM's site, there is a "tutorial" on how to install the kit yourself, and it shows how to do it with every type of bulb. When you look, 9004 bulbs are part of the same tutorial as 9007. Look...

http://ddmtuning.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=1&pcid=0&nav=0

I wonder if they think 9004 should work on 9007 and sent you the 9004 on purpose, to a degree.

rocgalant
03-19-2010, 12:27 PM
I just called them because I didn't want to wait for someone to respond to my ticket online. The person emailed me an RMA and told me to just return the bulbs. So I'm supposed to hold on to the ballasts and the wiring harness. They will replace the 9004s and send me the correct 9007 bulbs. After I PM'ed you, I checked a couple other forums online and it turns out that the 9004 bulb is longer, which explains why it didn't fit in my housing.

Thanks for the heads up though.

tr1kst4nce
03-19-2010, 12:52 PM
I just called them because I didn't want to wait for someone to respond to my ticket online. The person emailed me an RMA and told me to just return the bulbs. So I'm supposed to hold on to the ballasts and the wiring harness. They will replace the 9004s and send me the correct 9007 bulbs. After I PM'ed you, I checked a couple other forums online and it turns out that the 9004 bulb is longer, which explains why it didn't fit in my housing.

Thanks for the heads up though.

No problem bro. Are they reimbursing you for the shipping to return it to them?

rocgalant
03-19-2010, 01:58 PM
No problem bro. Are they reimbursing you for the shipping to return it to them?

The provided me with a UPS return shipping label so there is no cost to send to them. Speaking with the associate (I didn't think to ask) and checking the website, it does not appear that I would pay for them to ship the correct bulbs to me. I would expect that they wouldn't though. It's not like I'm the one that screwed up.

keith6110
03-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Well even tho this is in an 8g. i said i would post after my kit came. I just got done installing and i couldn't be happier. Basically my low beams are my new high beams lol.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/my%20galant/100_0154.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/my%20galant/100_0155.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/my%20galant/100_0159.jpg

These pictures don't really do justice. They are just sweet looking inside and outside of the car.

tr1kst4nce
03-20-2010, 03:58 AM
Well even tho this is in an 8g. i said i would post after my kit came. I just got done installing and i couldn't be happier. Basically my low beams are my new high beams lol.

These pictures don't really do justice. They are just sweet looking inside and outside of the car.

Nice... what K rating did you go with for the fogs and the lo's?

keith6110
03-20-2010, 05:29 AM
Nice... what K rating did you go with for the fogs and the lo's?

Ha the lo's are still hid imitation bulbs (basically stock bulb with blue tint). I went with 8000k in the fogs. My kit is from option racing through ebay. I've heard good things about the company and wanted to give it a try.