PDA

View Full Version : Bad Pulley/Belt?

Colton5419
03-12-2010, 07:14 PM
I just noticed (hard not to notice) a horrid sound coming from my engine.

Checked it out and thought it was just a noisy belt, but some belt dressing and conditioner on it and the noise is still there, if not worse.

Took it to MIDAS today, (not concerned with reviews on the place, this mechanic has always done good with this car, even resurfaced my rotors and checked all brakes free of charge the last visit - at least an hours work)

He said it could be a bad pulley/belt and also mentioned something about the water pump but said it didn't seem to get worse with the AC on, told me to come back on a dryer day, (was very wet and damp) they couldn't pin point the problem at the time and asked to come back on a nice dry day.. I don't think it's leaking though - can hit high speeds with no signs of over heating.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Guesstimated cost to repair? etc?

Hope this video can help. - Cheers!

QrvM0VSp_34

polishmafia
03-12-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm glad you like the guy, and that he has done good work for you in the past... but he couldn't pinpoint it? Geezus, thats bad. Take the belt off (takes 30 seconds), check the pulleys and the tensioner, and if thats not it then move forward.

My suggestion to you is to take it anywhere else. Get it fixed asap.

Colton5419
03-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Main reason was how busy the shop was at the time, all the lifts had a car on them, and some waiting in line (5 lifts and about 2 cars waiting).

He had orders that came in wrong and was stressing about getting the correct parts, my problem was minuscule really, in comparison that is.

Other than that I think they were worried that the water pump may have been leaking, but it was raining hard and hard to tell if it was just wet or not.

Colton5419
03-13-2010, 10:28 AM
THIS IS HOW IT SOUNDS NOW - STILL A NOISE BUT MUCH QUIETER

Anyone have a pretty good idea?

PoPNvTtbCt4

Sleepervr-4
03-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Hard to tell from the vid but it sounds like one of the bearings on a pully is acting up. Just take off the belt and spin them by hand. If it makes noise then you know the rest. Good luck

Colton5419
03-13-2010, 10:55 AM
I have a feeling it's the power steering pulley, (noise appears loudest on that side rather than the alternator)