PDA

View Full Version : Turbo problems...

reiketsutsukigami
03-15-2010, 04:11 PM
alright well im pretty new to cars got my galant just finished installing a turbo kit myself in the garage. she starts and drives but if i push into the gas 3.5k rpm or higher while in drive she stalls out and in neutral if i rev to 6k she shuts off or almost does any ideas what the prblem could be? let me know if you need any information on what i put in or did thanks.

qnz
03-15-2010, 04:26 PM
my guess is you need a tune. hard to diagnose without knowing what parts you have, and pics

G-spot
03-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Welcome to TGC, sounds like a tuning problem.

Wait, hold on? How can you be new to cars when you just installed a turbo kit by yourself in your own garage? Are you Doogie Howser M.D?

Sleepervr-4
03-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Installed any electronics? If so I would check on that wiring making sure you wired everything correct.

mko
03-15-2010, 05:01 PM
are you running on stock injectors, give more info

reiketsutsukigami
03-15-2010, 05:15 PM
im still using stock injectors i had 4g63 injectors but they were leaking and running far to rich but i didnt have a resistor box either so im not sure if that would fix it and i know i need to get an engine management/evo ecu but i was kinda hoping it would still run ok without it im gonna get some pics up in about 20 mins thanks for your help in advance.

mko
03-15-2010, 05:56 PM
lol, theres ur answer

at 3,5k rpms when you hit full boost the injectors proly run at 100%+ duty cycle and they cant supply the fuel needed and the ECU cuts off. With DSM injectors /450cc/ youll need a resistor pack and something to tune them out. SAFC or MAFT will work. W/o these you run super rich as you said

Shadow19
03-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Yea.. i put a MAFT pro in my car and i still ran super rich with the 450s and they werent toned down... I fouled the plugs and washed a little fuel in my oil. I would recommend getting some electronics man..... You dont know what its really doing without them. Its the more expensive part of the build but do it right the first time and never do it again u know?

reiketsutsukigami
03-15-2010, 06:05 PM
hey i feel dumb for asking but i checked the faq guide and still cant figure out how to post pics i cant find the button its talking about anywhere? and thanks yeah im gonna start looking into the maft and resistor does a maft from a 2g eclipse work or no?

mko
03-15-2010, 06:07 PM
make a photobucket account, upload ur pics and the copy and paste the IMG code

reiketsutsukigami
03-15-2010, 06:32 PM
heres the link for the pics of the turbo and such http://pbckt.com/sS.YTh

Shadow19
03-15-2010, 06:42 PM
IDK much about external wastegates.. However. there is no way in hell id have that wastegate dumping back into my engine bay like that. What exhaust manifold is that? Is that from a dsm or an evo? Looks to me like the wastegate needs to be flipped back over to where the o2 housing is at then tied into there. That air is going to be WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too hot coming out of there and dumping right back into the engine bay. Maybe if you ran a pipe that dumped it lower youd be fine however this is just my opinion. But i will tell you that your o2 wires and that coupling going to your turbo wont make it very long like that. On the contrary i dont see a maf sensor.. where is yours located?

reiketsutsukigami
03-15-2010, 06:43 PM
and a quick list of the info i know i used my dads old turbo he upgraded to something much bigger i think its got like ar 50 ive got the obx manifold a custom homemade downpipe iridium spark plugs and wires 2.5 in intercooler piping cxracing xcess wastegate rs1 bov jdm egt oil press water temp boost press gauges jdm oil filter relocation/oil cooler kit basic oil feed/return lines brass fitting brazed onto the oil pan manual boost controller i think thats everything.

reiketsutsukigami
03-15-2010, 06:44 PM
i will be routing it around the turbo and out the bottom but for now its not getting any use so im making it look real nice and perfect

Shadow19
03-15-2010, 06:49 PM
i will be routing it around the turbo and out the bottom but for now its not getting any use so im making it look real nice and perfect

Just cut the dump pipe for the wastegate and flip it around to your exhaust side and have it re-welded. However those oil lines look like they are rubbing on the pipe and fan housing. Personally id cover them with some fuel tubing or something just to be sure the line isnt going to have a hole rubbed in it. Thats what i did with my setup when i ran my oil line. On another note i also forgot to tell you that im OCD.....

reiketsutsukigami
03-15-2010, 06:54 PM
lol yea everyone in my family has bad ocd and im almost already done with the dump pipe so im just gonna leave it less chance for something to go wrong especially after i already got a new radiator hose. i know ive still got a ways to go but im focused on getting it to run properly so i can get it clean its killing me to see her so dirty the rims are in such a bad state right now.

reiketsutsukigami
03-15-2010, 07:02 PM
and yea im gonna put something in between the lines not too sure what yet maybe some kinda rubber buffer\seperator

Shadow19
03-15-2010, 07:04 PM
do it right the first time and you wont have to worry about coming back. You can have that manifold re-welded for like 40 bucks or less. Thats my suggestion. Where is your MAF sensor?

reiketsutsukigami
03-15-2010, 07:24 PM
on the drivers side going through where the intake box used to sit cut out that area gorund down and padded the edges air filters attached to the maf

mko
03-15-2010, 08:10 PM
i wouldnt trust that wastegate tho. The ebay brand are no reliable at all

reiketsutsukigami
03-15-2010, 08:13 PM
any brands you would reccomend?

mko
03-15-2010, 08:34 PM
tial

qnz
03-15-2010, 08:39 PM
wow, no engine management at all? When the car hits even 1 psi, it is using the last known fuel table before it went into no mans land. I wouldnt want to push the car past 0 psi because there is nothing telling the comptuer how much extra fuel to use.

reiketsutsukigami
03-15-2010, 09:08 PM
yeah im glad i dont need it for dd right now im looking into getting the evo ecu.nvrmnd found a good thread reading through it.