PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover - OE vs. replacement

kcarel
03-16-2010, 09:47 AM
I've got the plenum off my v6 and spark plugs are just coated in oil. time to replace valve cover gaskets and tubes.

Nearest dealer is 100 miles, so I'd either order these online OR go with a replacement kit at a local auto store.

Im a toyota guy. Rule of thumb for toyotas is to NEVER buy gaskets, seals or bearings from aftermarket. ALWAYS OE since tolerances are tighter and quality is so much better OEM.

Not sure if this rule applies to mitsubishis. In looking at the OEM gasket set online, they want $61 for everything. I could get a replacement (non-OE) kit for half the price.

Will I be fine going with a replacement to save the money? Or is this a "get what you pay for" moment? Please give me some input. I do NOT want to mess with that plenum for a very long time.

Thanks!

00galantguy
03-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Personally I have always used autozone gasket on my mitsus with no problems

OMEGA PHX
03-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Personally I wouldn't buy any gaskets or seals if they aren't OEM. For online check rockauto.com, oemmitsubishiparts.com.

kcarel
03-18-2010, 09:19 AM
I got the old gaskets out last night. holy cow, what a true pain in the ass digging that out of the channel between the baffle and the outside edge. I could have easily sliced my hand open on that thin sheet metal baffle if the screwdriver slipped. I couldnt believe how caked in the gaskets were. Terrible.

Does anyone know how the baffle is in place? I want to powder coat it but I have to clean the VC up and I generally use aluminum oxide for my blast media. I do not want media to get caught up in the baffle so I generally take the baffle off and reinstall with screws. With the thin valve cover, I doubt I could get a tap deep enough to bolt it down. Anyone know how the baffle is assembled?

Thanks!