PDA

View Full Version : Changing your alternator on 8G

NVR-ENUF
08-20-2002, 09:07 PM
My installer told me I need to change to a bigger alternator. I have had a problem finding anyone who can make a 185 amp alternator for my galant. Has anyone else changed theirs? Any help would be nice.

slowgalant
08-20-2002, 09:21 PM
what did he install that you need a new alternator?

pinoyesv6
08-20-2002, 10:20 PM
im guessing you got some electronics like maybe tvs or a stereo or something. i know the alternator would be a good solution but a high output alternator is hard to find. you might want to get your current one rebuilt so that it produces more power or you might consider getting some alternatives like a stronger battery like an optima, some capacitors...

BIGMONEYDAY
08-21-2002, 09:17 AM
I've been tackling this subject for about 2 years now. First, unless you've find some resources that i haven't found, your not going to be able to find a 185 amp alternator or any shop willing to try to "rewind" it for you. They only real world answers that i've found is getting one from Stinger, Mechman, or Ohio Generator. I believe all 3 companies offer custom made ones in the price range of about $500, which is actually not too much higher than going back to the dealer for another stock 85 amp unit, but these custom units are running around 120-135 amps, I believe. Adding capacitors are a quick fix for most systems, and adding extra batteries could actually hurt you by adding addition charging strain on stock alternator unless you wire in an isolator. You will really only benefit by adding an extra battery if you plan on using your system while the car is not running. But if you want to be safe and protect yourself against prematurely killing your charging system, getting a new H.O. (high output) alternator is a good investment if you can afford it.

NVR-ENUF
08-21-2002, 01:01 PM
I have added two optima batteries and a 15 farad cap. bank in the back. I have two JL 300/4's on the mids and highs. I have the new JL 1000/1 on the on the three JL 12W6 v2's. I also have strobes and a tv. to run off of the batteries.

J. T. Z.
08-21-2002, 09:03 PM
Ohio Generator(which is one of the best in car audio) makes one for our cars. It costs around $600 and can be found at www.ampman.com. Its rated at 225 CCA but expect around 185 amps of hot(continuous) power.