PDA

View Full Version : Fender Rolling

keith6110
03-22-2010, 12:42 PM
I did see the baseball method and everything. I just thought i would share this with everyone if the instructions were not clear enough. I'm going to try this suggestion as this persons method is a little different than anything else i have read so far.

searched aw and compiled everyone's idea realized if theres a 100 ways to do this then it can't be that hard...so home i go last night go dig threw the garage find me a 2 and half foot piece of 2 inch black ABS pipe, heater/hairdryer, and get the floor jack (you can use the factory jack here as you are not lifting car off ground. Using no cloth as plastic doesn't do anything to paint. Raise my car so i can get pipe between fender...heat fender..lower car a bit...roll...lower...heat again...more roll...

THEN i found the secret: by making edge of pipe even with edge of fender lip you can roll the lip as flat as the rear...no fender liner trimming required it tucks up behind lip after it gets warm. (you can heat fender liner to mold even further away but i didn't find this necessary)

No pics but some quick drawings.

Believe me never did this before and it really was easy and looks perfect.

Source and pictures at:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1540667

Fresh_617
03-22-2010, 12:49 PM
does this method warp the paint on the outside of the fender??

OMEGA PHX
03-22-2010, 01:14 PM
does this method warp the paint on the outside of the fender??

Thats why you use the hair dryer/heatgun, to protect the paint making it flexible. In the tut he doesn't heat the outside of the fender but I think is needed or you'll end up F**ing your paint.

Fresh_617
03-22-2010, 03:11 PM
u have to heat the outside or just the part ur trying 2 bend? im not trying to warp the paint or anything also not to sound retarted but where can i find a 2" abs plastic pipe???

OMEGA PHX
03-22-2010, 03:52 PM
u have to heat the outside or just the part ur trying 2 bend? im not trying to warp the paint or anything also not to sound retarted but where can i find a 2" abs plastic pipe???

I would say both to your first question, and try finding the pipe at a hardware store.

keith6110
03-22-2010, 06:22 PM
i think this particular piping he's using is just basically drain piping. Meaning you can get a piece of PVC piping or probably get a piece of electrical conduit piping. I believe all of these share almost the same properties.

Fresh_617
03-22-2010, 08:52 PM
but the impression im under is that he used that pipe bcuz it wont bend but yet bcuz of the material it wont damage the car is this correct?

Cali
03-22-2010, 09:21 PM
i have a fender roller available if you'd like to rent it. PM me.

keith6110
03-22-2010, 09:58 PM
but the impression im under is that he used that pipe bcuz it wont bend but yet bcuz of the material it wont damage the car is this correct?

Yes this is correct. the pipe is basically strong plastic. You still have to be careful when you do it, but yea.

keith6110
03-22-2010, 09:59 PM
i have a fender roller available if you'd like to rent it. PM me.

How much is it to rent a roller from you?

Fresh_617
03-22-2010, 10:09 PM
very good question and how do u use it? is it simlar to the method above ?

keith6110
03-22-2010, 10:11 PM
very good question and how do u use it? is it simlar to the method above ?

if you're talking about the roller. I believe it bolts to the wheel bearing? I also think it has a jack like system to add more pressure to the fender as its being heated up.

Fresh_617
03-22-2010, 10:17 PM
does it provide heat 2 the area as its rolling as well? and also i noticed that the method above was done on a audi, does that apply to our cars 2 i noticed that there are 2 peices to our 8g fenders and there fairly thick how do we "roll it" when that lip...dont really kno what to call the area...extends thru the whole wheel well? we have to bend the whole area or just a certin part"

OMEGA PHX
03-22-2010, 11:15 PM
This video shows you a Eastwood fender roller VV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqiTfYyaI1A

Fresh_617
03-22-2010, 11:37 PM
ah i see very interesting very interesting that helped alot thanks i will try to find some plastic pipe 2morrow lol

ricky_db
03-23-2010, 01:18 AM
cut dem shitz out

keith6110
03-23-2010, 02:54 AM
cut dem shitz out

I would but our fenders have important welds that keep the inner and outer fenders together. I know people have done it. But especially for me, its not a good idea.

Fresh_617
03-23-2010, 03:21 PM
I would but our fenders have important welds that keep the inner and outer fenders together. I know people have done it. But especially for me, its not a good idea.

when r u gonna try? im lookin 4 the pipe and ima give it a shot...even tho on that forum they were using a audi it should still be pratically the same right?

E_Emerson88
03-23-2010, 03:42 PM
cut dem shitz out

yup =]

ricky_db
03-23-2010, 04:10 PM

ok maybe not lol im sure you northern guys have hell with rust as it is dont need any separated raw metal. but im in dry ass Texas... dem shitz got cut yoe. i rolled them with the PVC method first wasnt enough so i got jiggy

keith6110
03-23-2010, 06:01 PM
when r u gonna try? im lookin 4 the pipe and ima give it a shot...even tho on that forum they were using a audi it should still be pratically the same right?

Should be the same, yep. I'm going to be doing mine before the end of april for sure. I've got 18s to put on. I don't care what it takes cuz they're going on the car one way or another lol.

Fresh_617
03-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Should be the same, yep. I'm going to be doing mine before the end of april for sure. I've got 18s to put on. I don't care what it takes cuz they're going on the car one way or another lol.

apiril?? damn lol im trynna get dis done b4 the end of this week i got 20s to put on n dem bitches is goin on the car weather they like it or not:dumbass:

keith6110
03-23-2010, 10:39 PM
yea.. i wish i could do that. i actually owe money on my taxes this year and i still dont have tires for my 18's so yea.. im looking at $1200 i need before the end of april. =/ it sucks.

Fresh_617
03-23-2010, 10:57 PM
damn man i feel u well if i decide 2 do it ill let u kno how it turns out...i seen another fender bending product on ivory8g build thread i wanna see if his worked b4 i try this method i dont want to mess up my paint or even worse my car