PDA

View Full Version : DDM Tuning Relay Harness Q???

tr1kst4nce
03-23-2010, 03:39 PM
The DDM Tuning HID Relay Harness (http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=133&parent=94) doesn't allow you to make your selection for what type of bulb size. I assume I would use the adapters that come with the bulbs to hook up to the one end, but the end that would normally plug into my stock fog light harness... You guys think it's just a positive and negative wire... or???? What?

03-Galant-ES
03-23-2010, 04:59 PM
The ddm tuning bulbs and ballasts are universal. or let me rephrase that the bulbs can be used either 35w or 55w and the balasts are all the same with different wattages. the relay probably plugs into ballast so it will be the same no mattr what bulb or ballast. or at least thats my thinking

tr1kst4nce
03-23-2010, 07:19 PM
The ddm tuning bulbs and ballasts are universal. or let me rephrase that the bulbs can be used either 35w or 55w and the balasts are all the same with different wattages. the relay probably plugs into ballast so it will be the same no mattr what bulb or ballast. or at least thats my thinking

Well yeah I know about the part that plugs into the bulb and ballast, I'm talking about the part of the relay harness that would plug into my factory wiring that runs to control the fogs or in my case specifically.. the part that will run up to the toggle switch. It could either be a specific plug, or I'm hoping just a positive wire and negative to run the positive to the toggle switch.

03-Galant-ES
03-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Well yeah I know about the part that plugs into the bulb and ballast, I'm talking about the part of the relay harness that would plug into my factory wiring that runs to control the fogs or in my case specifically.. the part that will run up to the toggle switch. It could either be a specific plug, or I'm hoping just a positive wire and negative to run the positive to the toggle switch.

That I am unsure of as you are adding wiring. Chances are its positive and negative. If it is a specific plug. Cut it off if it is just a 2 pin plug such as a 880 or 9006 bulb connector and hard wire it as you would a positive and negative. I did this with my high and low beam HIDs since there was way too much wiring with 2 ballasts 2 bulbs 1 turn signal and 8 halo bulbs on each side so I shortened all the wires hard wired and rewrapped. You should essentially be able to do the same. With any specific plug.

edit: Ok I finally took a look at the link I do not know about those harnesses they seem like the ones the older style HIDs used so hopefully somone else can help you out here.

KaziKai
03-23-2010, 08:48 PM
What does the relay do? make it brighter? cause I got the 10k and its not purple.... its very blue!

showtime
03-23-2010, 08:50 PM
What does the relay do? make it brighter? cause I got the 10k and its not purple.... its very blue!

takes power straight from the battery and not the OEM headlight harness.

03-Galant-ES
03-23-2010, 08:57 PM
takes power straight from the battery and not the OEM headlight harness.

Isnt it used on a lot of cars that have really weak harnesses? Our cars seem to be able to support the HIDs no issues.

showtime
03-23-2010, 09:11 PM
i dont have the harness and I dont have any problems, I am running 35 watt 6K lows only...I will be hi-low soon

03-Galant-ES
03-23-2010, 09:17 PM
i dont have the harness and I dont have any problems, I am running 35 watt 6K lows only...I will be hi-low soon

I think he is getting the Harness since he doesnt have existing wiring for the fogs.

tr1kst4nce
03-23-2010, 11:00 PM
I think he is getting the Harness since he doesnt have existing wiring for the fogs.

That would be correct, also I'm getting a 55W kit for the fogs, and its better and safer to use a relay harness with the 55W kits. It will help prevent flickering, plus it will isolate the switch from seeing heavy loads of power, and allow me to power the lights directly from the battery. It will just work better.

I'll have to call DDM tuning and see what they say about the harness... or...

I'll just grab a relay harness off ebay where I know what I'm getting.

03-Galant-ES
03-23-2010, 11:13 PM
That would be correct, also I'm getting a 55W kit for the fogs, and its better and safer to use a relay harness with the 55W kits. It will help prevent flickering, among other things. It will just work better.

55w with most fogs isnt suggested since typically fog housings are smaller and cannot stand the heat from the bulbs. I am using headlight projectors as fogs and still dont feel safe going above 35w nor do i see the need here is my cut off line.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/weirdo1808/3-20-10-2.jpg?t=1269403935
that is compared to 55w bulbs in the low beam projector and at 4pm while sun was still out.

tr1kst4nce
03-23-2010, 11:24 PM
55w with most fogs isnt suggested since typically fog housings are smaller and cannot stand the heat from the bulbs. I am using headlight projectors as fogs and still dont feel safe going above 35w nor do i see the need here is my cut off line.

that is compared to 55w bulbs in the low beam projector and at 4pm while sun was still out.

Well I figured since the fog lights will be projectors, 55W would be good. Plus the housings are all metal, so I figured that it could handle it. Especially since they already would hold 55W, but you could have a point. 35W could be overkill since I'll already have 35W HID's on my non projector headlights.

03-Galant-ES
03-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Well I figured since the fog lights will be projectors, 55W would be good. Plus the housings are all metal, so I figured that it could handle it. Especially since they already would hold 55W, but you could have a point. 35W could be overkill since I'll already have 35W HID's on my non projector headlights.

They hold 55w halogens, 55w halogens and 55w HIDs are completely different in heat content. Put on your 35w HID heads for 10 minutes then feel lens. Put on a friends 55w halogens for 10 minutes and feel lens. Just because wattage is the same dont imagine heat content to be anywhere similar. I think 100w halogens may be comparable to the heat of 35w HIDs to be honest.