PDA

View Full Version : wheel makes a sound when accelerating from a stop (sometimes)

qnz
03-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Lately I've been hearing this sound when accelerating from a stop. It only happens like 1 out of 10 times I get in my car to drive so I havent had a chance to try to troubleshoot it. My best description of the sound is it sounds like a metal ship groaning (think Titanic when it started to break). When I would accelerating, I would hear a low "whomp" sound from (I think) the rear wheels. I believe it is wheel related because sometimes the sound would come around twice when accelerating, like "whomp....... whomp"

I thoguht maybe only of my calipers were loose but they feel sturdy. All my wheels are on tight too. Any suggestins guys?

03-Galant-ES
03-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Check to make sure calipers dont seize under heavy breaking, my old Montero had a frozen caliper and it made a similar noise to what you described.

Corey2kG
03-25-2010, 01:00 PM
your pads might be low start from the basics change rotors and pads if it still does it the caliper could be bad the caliper would be frozen if you cant get the piston back in i had a similar problem in the rear everything was changed so i changed the caliper it stopped

02redgalant
03-25-2010, 01:25 PM
check the calipers see if there frozen,if not check the hubs pull on 12' and 6' any play your bearings done.. if not quit giving fat chicks rides

qnz
06-26-2010, 08:19 PM
just to follow up, the rear caliper was seized. A way to tell if your caliper is seized is if your rotor is reddish. my other rear rotor is black in the middle, but the seized caliper turned my rotor to a orange-reddish color.

keith6110
06-26-2010, 10:58 PM
just an fyi, I've used parts plus brake fluid a few times and my brake calipers kept seizing up. So after a few new purchases over 2 years time; I drained my entire systems brake fluid and used a super tech brand brake fluid instead. Have had my brake calipers on for 2 years since without any seizing. Quality brake fluid seems to help keep the calipers in good shape. Just wanted to throw that out there from my own experiences.

JoeRad
06-27-2010, 07:55 AM
I have noticed alot of red dust around the passender side front wheel, how do you unseize a caliper?

Just changed the pads myself about 1 month ago

qnz
06-27-2010, 08:31 AM
you have to take it apart and rebuild it. or you can replace the caliper

JoeRad
06-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Basically give it a good clean yeah?