PDA

View Full Version : Does this look normal?

03-Galant-ES
03-25-2010, 02:46 PM
While I was examining my 8G under the hood I noticed this
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/weirdo1808/img202.jpg

sorry for cell pic, but its this normal or not? Talking about elbow coming from the cap of the coolant overflow

OMEGA PHX
03-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Mine is pointing to the ground.

03-Galant-ES
03-25-2010, 02:59 PM
But its not connected to anything so its normal? Ok thats a relief I dont need other issues right now with my electrical issues.

WhiteGalant
03-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Yap ^^ x2

johnygezony
03-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah its fine, You should point it downwards so it can roll down that little grove made by the motor mount so it doesn't get your bay as nasty just in case you have some overflow

Joshua42007
03-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Its normal, that's the coolant over-flow line. Whenever the coolant tank gets too full it drains from that end of the hose. Mine looks the same, only dirtier lol

03-Galant-ES
03-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks guys. Im not sure if I am fixing the G right now or parking it and getting a daily. I love the car and would prefer to park it and fix everything and just enjoy her, but I also want her to be fixed right now lol.

johnygezony
03-25-2010, 03:09 PM
whats wrong with it ??!?!?!

Joshua42007
03-25-2010, 03:10 PM
http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp326/joshua42008/Josh/coolant.jpg

03-Galant-ES
03-25-2010, 03:11 PM
pic

ty sir

for those of you that dont know current issue with galant this happened last night

The Galant just shat on itself. The alternator went...again just did it 3 years ago. I have a battery monitor hooked up and saw that battery wasnt charging. So I turned off my heads and drove Galant from Hoboken to Levittown ~ 41 miles with no heads doing 60 mph waiting for engine to give out. I was sure it would die in NYC with all the lights and stopping, but it made it through NYC, to 495 down 495 to Northern State from Northern State to Wantagh down 4 exits on wantagh. Mine is the 6th. The radio started flickering so I was like oh shit got pulled over she stalled. I let her sit for 5 mins she started up again. I made it to my exit and she stalled at a red light. I sat there and a cop came by the cop said he would have to call a tow company if I didnt move it in 10 mins so I chatted with him told him what happened asked him if he could jump me. As he went to move his car for jump I noticed on battery monitor I had about 8V. So I gave it a try. She started no issue I told cop I would drive home with no head lights. He said since its 2am dont stop at red lights. So I drove straight through only saw one other car and honked at it as I blew through the red. I made it home and she stalled. I got in dads car jumped the G and put G in drive way. Took battery out and now the battery is hooked up to my charger. Dads car is in street. I am starting spring break early and I am gonna check out what happened. I fear I some how smashed the radiator in hoboken there was a bad hidden dip on passenger side. I didnt catch it in time and I heard a bang. So jacking up car tomorrow and seeing whats what. I am going to talk to my fiancee since she is first out of college about my possibly taking extra couple grand on school loan and buying a beater. That way I have an excuse to park the G and work on her :)

Edit: I should add I believe it is alternator based on the way the car behaved, but there is so much corrosion on my terminal connectors I may take them apart and sand them down and see if that was issue, it has happened a few times dont know why they get so corroded.

OMEGA PHX
03-25-2010, 03:12 PM
What's the problem with her?

edit: LOL you answered at the same time .

johnygezony
03-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Sounds like the cop was a good guy ?

03-Galant-ES
03-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Sounds like the cop was a good guy ?

he was decent still a bit of a dick, but let me go thank god.

ricky_db
03-25-2010, 04:11 PM
cant believe you just noticed there was a tube just hanging around under the hood at LEAST 2 years later lol

03-Galant-ES
03-25-2010, 04:19 PM
cant believe you just noticed there was a tube just hanging around under the hood at LEAST 2 years later lol

I was refilling my coolant and I looked at that and was like hmm.. the only reason I touched the coolant is cause with the electrical problem the temp gauge kept going between 1/4 and 1/2

ricky_db
03-25-2010, 04:23 PM
nice lol

Joshua42007
03-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Doesnt seem like your G is in that bad of shape, hope you get it all fixed though.

Reelax
03-25-2010, 05:49 PM
that overflow hose should be pointing down. just turn it at the fitting.

Stewi
03-25-2010, 09:52 PM
I doubt its the alternator. the car wouldnt have run after being jumped if it was the alternator. Alternators usually dont go out slowly, they go out instantly.

03-Galant-ES
03-25-2010, 10:00 PM
I doubt its the alternator. the car wouldnt have run after being jumped if it was the alternator. Alternators usually dont go out slowly, they go out instantly.

Any idea what it could be Brian? My alternator is less than 3 years old got it done in June of 07 and after recharging my batt last night and starting car a few diff times today the alternator is still not charging. I also started car and took positive terminal off battery too see if alternator kept it running and it didn't. The belt is spinning the alternator fine. I got under and looked and there are no marks on alternator so it wasnt smashed. The cop also didnt give me the jump he was going to move car and I put keys in ignition and according to the battery monitor I had enough juice to start it started but radio back light was dim and I didnt want to use brakes at all lol. It made it home and it would not start again unitl I used dads car to jump it and back it in driveway. I left dads car hooked up for a few mins to make sure I had enough juice to keep her running without his cars help.

Would a battery be able to drive a car with HIDs on for 40 miles including 2 miles through NYC without any help from an alternator?

4g63lover
03-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Is it possible you are overloading the system with all the H.I.D.s?

Also, I would check the crank pulley and the crank snout to make sure the index key isn't sheared off. Because if that is sheared off, it is possible that the belt is not spinning the alternator at full speed. It might look like it is spinning at full-speed but its probably not.

03-Galant-ES
03-25-2010, 11:15 PM
The HIDs are fine, I tried it with and without HIDs no charging at all. I drove from LI to Hoboken last night low and fog HIDs both on from 5pm-7pm no issues went out for ice cream didnt look at battery gauge then driving home while leaving hoboken with only lows on I looked at the gauge and it was reading 12V normally reads like 14ish when running so I turned off all electronics and drove home.

I was talking to brian and he said he thinks its Alternator now since when I disconnect positive terminal while car is running it dies right away.

So now I am wondering if 3G alternators fit our cars.

Stewi
03-26-2010, 03:20 PM
yes