PDA

View Full Version : HID's just installed... and they don't work.

tr1kst4nce
03-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Yep... that's right... just installed them. Double checked wiring, and everything. Even went and plugged the old bulbs back in just to check... the HID doesn't work.

Don't know why... but I'm pissed... trying to talk to somebody at DDM now.

Reelax
03-26-2010, 05:40 PM
did you disable daytime running lights? if so, try reversing polarity. also if they are single beam non-projector (replacing hi/lo bulbs), try turning off your hi beams as the wiring for 9007 bulbs turns off low beam when high beam is activated.

tr1kst4nce
03-26-2010, 06:09 PM
did you disable daytime running lights? if so, try reversing polarity. also if they are single beam non-projector (replacing hi/lo bulbs), try turning off your hi beams as the wiring for 9007 bulbs turns off low beam when high beam is activated.

DRL's were already disabled... and yeah it was reverse polarity.

I got so pissed I quadruple checked all connections and then out of curiousity i flipped the connector to the ballast... worked like a charm. Didn't think about reverse polarity... but then again, it IS a jap car... so...

But thanks for the help anyways reelax... you da man. WHOOO... good thing I got it fixed before the rep got on the phone with DDM... I was about to chew 'em out.

They're working now. You can delete this post if you want.

Reelax
03-26-2010, 06:11 PM
glad it worked out!

OMEGA PHX
03-26-2010, 07:37 PM
I couldn't believe they didn't work but glad you fix it now let see some night pics lol.

Joshua42007
03-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Im glad it all worked out. I had the exact same problem when i installed my first HID kit on my 8g. Just flipped the polarity on one side of the ballast and voila, they worked.

tr1kst4nce
03-26-2010, 08:55 PM
I couldn't believe they didn't work but glad you fix it now let see some night pics lol.

You'll get some pictures tomorrow for sure. I'm beat and I let my girlfriend loan my camera to her parents tonight for some church thing-a-magig. I'll get some pics tomorrow and especially when I get the fog lights on there.

I will tell you this. 6000k 35W... AWESOME. Glad I didn't get 55W. I only got flashed by one person earlier tonight and thats cuz I was on a hill and they were lower than me. The cut off isn't as fancy as projectors, but you can see a nice cut off and the 6000k is fantastic white with just a slight shade of purplish blue. Looks very classy and there is nothing you can't see on the road.

I'm VERY impressed. VERY satisfied. Although UPS's shipping out of Cali sucks.

Pic's coming tomorow evening folks.

LatinoX20
03-26-2010, 09:37 PM
how long did u wait for the shipping? i just ordered mine on monday and i got an email saying they were out of stock and would be getting some yesterday... still waiting for shipping confirmation tho..

Reelax
03-27-2010, 03:06 AM
You'll get some pictures tomorrow for sure. I'm beat and I let my girlfriend loan my camera to her parents tonight for some church thing-a-magig. I'll get some pics tomorrow and especially when I get the fog lights on there.

I will tell you this. 6000k 35W... AWESOME. Glad I didn't get 55W. I only got flashed by one person earlier tonight and thats cuz I was on a hill and they were lower than me. The cut off isn't as fancy as projectors, but you can see a nice cut off and the 6000k is fantastic white with just a slight shade of purplish blue. Looks very classy and there is nothing you can't see on the road.

I'm VERY impressed. VERY satisfied. Although UPS's shipping out of Cali sucks.

Pic's coming tomorow evening folks.

now that u have HID headlights go verify/readjust the aim... the aim becomes very important since you are now putting out MUCH more light. here is the procedure:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4962528_aim-headlights.html

tr1kst4nce
03-27-2010, 02:38 PM
how long did u wait for the shipping? i just ordered mine on monday and i got an email saying they were out of stock and would be getting some yesterday... still waiting for shipping confirmation tho..

Well I ordered on a Thursday and hoped they'd get out Friday, cuz their website says most orders ship within 24-48 hours. But they are closed on the weekend so my order didn't get shipped til Monday. I received them Friday. You'll need to take into consideration that they are coming from California. California's UPS and USPS is VERY slow. I can get stuff from almost any other state in 3 days with UPS ground, sometimes depending on how early in the day it ships and what state. But Cali is VERY slow, with everything.

I heard that they are short staffed, and have a lot of orders to fill due to their sales. So... Even when I call it takes them awhile to answer. I got an email from UPS with a tracking number saying they expect the package for shipping. Then when I got the email the next day from DDM saying it had shipped, they pasted the wrong tracking number on the email. So I called them, and they said yeah the person doing the computer just pasted the wrong tracking number. So....

They are slow to ship, but pretty good about their customer service and support. Very pleasant and helpful on the phone.

I think they are just swamped and understaffed. Product came shipped very nicely, they even go in and put a foam piece around the bulb and then tape around the plastic tube that holds the bulbs for shipping so they dont come loose. Each ballast and bulb is in its own individual box and then they put all 4 into a larger box.

So yeah... like I said. Slow to ship and get the order processed, and then UPS and USPS is slow out of Cali. But well worth the wait. At least their customer service is top notch. And the chick I spoke with let me flirt too ;-)

tr1kst4nce
03-27-2010, 02:41 PM
now that u have HID headlights go verify/readjust the aim... the aim becomes very important since you are now putting out MUCH more light. here is the procedure:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4962528_aim-headlights.html

I thought about that last night when I took them for a test drive. Went past 3 cops and didn't have trouble. The only person to flash me was at the bottom of a hill as I was going over it. I think they are pretty well straight but I'm going to find a nice level parking lot and a wall and just make sure.

ALSO... question for you guys. My right headlight, the one I spent the most time with trying to get the darn bulb in the socket (since there is no way of knowing which end is spose to be up). I spent about 15-20 minutes trying to line up the little notches and stuff, and I know I got down real low behind the housing and was breathing into it (still a little chilly outside here). Last night I noticed there was a little condensation on the upper portion inside the headlight. Now today its moved to the bottom.

You guys think once it warms up a bit outside eventually it will go away? Or.... ?

johnygezony
03-27-2010, 03:51 PM
it IS a jap car... so...

Your car is made in Normal, Illinois

LatinoX20
03-27-2010, 04:51 PM
cant wait till mine get here... post pics of ur lights

Galantes2001
03-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Had the same problem lol..

tr1kst4nce
03-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Your car is made in Normal, Illinois

Don't be stupid.

Still a Japanese company and design. Just like BMW is German, they have a plant here in SC and several other countries. Doesn't change the fact that it's a German car.

johnygezony
03-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Don't be stupid.

Whoa there chief

rocgalant
03-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Good for you. I bet your happy they just goofed on the tracking number and didn't actually send your bulbs somewhere else. I'm still waiting for my correct bulbs to arrive. Then again, according to UPS, they only received my returned bulbs on Friday.

tr1kst4nce
03-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Good for you. I bet your happy they just goofed on the tracking number and didn't actually send your bulbs somewhere else. I'm still waiting for my correct bulbs to arrive. Then again, according to UPS, they only received my returned bulbs on Friday.

For the past several years, anytime I've sent anything or had something coming from Cali, whether it's UPS, FedEx, USPS, it's ALWAYS slow. But at least they paid for the shipping for you to send them back. It's a hassle, but at least you know you're dealing with a reputable company when they do that.

tr1kst4nce
03-28-2010, 01:42 PM
As promised I got some pics taken of the HID. Clearly I'm no professional photographer, but you guys get the idea.

I also took a pic of the parking lights after I did an LED modification in them. The parking lights are putting out 60 lumens. And the turn signals are just swapped out 1157 bulbs by APC, hyper white.

I didn't get to adjust the aiming just yet, because it started to rain last night, but they are pretty straight for now.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k204/tr1kst4nce/P1010086.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k204/tr1kst4nce/P1010087.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k204/tr1kst4nce/P1010088.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k204/tr1kst4nce/P1010089.jpg

$DMoney$
03-28-2010, 01:56 PM
good job man looks good did you have to take apart the light to do those LED & turning signals or did you just swap the bulb?

tr1kst4nce
03-28-2010, 02:26 PM
good job man looks good did you have to take apart the light to do those LED & turning signals or did you just swap the bulb?

I swapped them with these (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2FWLED-xLX.htm) from Super Bright LED's. I've used their stuff before, good products, fast shipping, great service.

I ordered 2 sets, one of the "natural" white and one of the "cool" white. The cool whites were bright as hell, but still had too much of a violet hue around the edges, like a 10000k HID look, which probably woulda gotten me pulled over, plus I just didn't think they matched well with my HID. The natural white is more like my 6000k HID's, they have a real pure white with just a hint of the rich purple around the edges at just the right angle. Great stuff.

rocgalant
03-28-2010, 03:51 PM
For the past several years, anytime I've sent anything or had something coming from Cali, whether it's UPS, FedEx, USPS, it's ALWAYS slow. But at least they paid for the shipping for you to send them back. It's a hassle, but at least you know you're dealing with a reputable company when they do that.

Yeah I've read good things about DDM from a few different car sites (bmw, honda, and this site). So I was pretty confident that they wouldn't pull some funny business. And like you, the female I spoke to (maybe they only hire female customer service reps cuz mostly guys do stuff to their cars?) was really nice and helpful. I just hope they speed up the shipment of my replacements so I can see at night like you!

OMEGA PHX
03-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Nice, leds look good.

$DMoney$
03-28-2010, 07:09 PM
oh ok sweet