PDA

View Full Version : OEM Oil filter Vs Aftermarket Oil Filter

varroa
03-28-2010, 04:35 AM
Can someone please explain this to me?

Is it that people just don't know that the OEM oil filter only costs less than $6 from your local dealer, or about $5 plus shipping if bought online?

Why do people still are trying to buy piece of shit FRAM and other filters for the same money? Captain Obvious says: it's not because they are trying to save some money. Then WHY?

Which filter do you use in your Galant?

johnygezony
03-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Ive heard Fram is garbage, Fram Uses Cardboard end caps

RedGalant2k1
03-28-2010, 09:25 AM
I use only OEM or AMSoil filters, everything else is second tier, including Mobil One and K&N.

keith6110
03-28-2010, 10:21 AM
i picked fram because thats what i use. Thanks to this subject being brought up, i think im going to switch. I just researched and found some stuff to confirm fram is the worst filter to use. Just wanted to say Thank You!

9G
03-28-2010, 05:00 PM
i use both oem and pure one.

02redgalant
03-28-2010, 06:38 PM
oem why waste money..

WhiteGalant
03-28-2010, 07:22 PM
K&n and mobil one for me.

varroa
03-29-2010, 07:05 AM
Keith6110: glad i could help.
WhiteGalant: could you explain how (or why) K&N or Mobil are better than OEM? i mean, sounds like the old argument about synthetic vs mineral engine oils. bottom line is, if you drive normally, not overly aggressive (which 95% of people do) and change your oil regularly (which 95% of auto enthusiasts do), then it doesn't make sense to use synthetic: mineral oil will not break down under regular conditions in the recommended service intervals, and actually changing oil more often might be better for the engine, because removing the old oil also removes all the suspended carbon particles and whatnot.

i change the oil filter with every oil change, and in this case, any longer-lasting oil filter is just as useful as a having two condoms on at the same time: one is just enough to do the job.
imho.