PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Problems

mrg7243
03-28-2010, 06:43 PM
I am wondering if my fuel pump is going bad. The car is hard to start, it makes this sputtering sound, it makes this sounds in p, r, n, d, 3, 2, 1, i cant here it priming when i turn the key to ACC, it has gotten progressively worse, when i give it more gas, it sputters, and loses power. How would i check the pump to see if its still in good condition. If its not the pump then what could it be

varroa
03-29-2010, 07:09 AM
it could be a long list of things. bad MAF, dirty throttle body, dirty air filter, dirty fuel filter, bad ignition coils, bad gas, bad idle motor, bad o2 sensor, dirty or clogged injectors, dirty or clogged fuel lines.

to rule out the fuel pump, you will need to run the electric tests on it. they are described in detail in the factory service manual. maybe even in the haynes manual.

mrg7243
03-29-2010, 07:53 AM
heynes didnt cover it, maf is clean, throttle body was just cleaned, air filter is brand new, maybe fuel filter, or coils. gas is fine, idle motor is good, o2 sensors are brand new, injectors, ill put some injector cleaner in, doubtful the fuelines

varroa
03-29-2010, 08:30 AM
well i know only one way to test injectors for flow/cleanliness. it's called Witch Hunter Performance, a company based near Seattle, WA. you ship them your injectors, they flow test them, then clean and replace stuff like fuel filters, o-rings, and other removable things, and the flow test them again. they give you a print out of "before" and "after" measurements. you can google them.

still, run the tests on the pump if you still think it's the culprit. but i assume the OBD would throw a code if it was the pump.

ezekiel.glnt
03-31-2010, 10:03 PM
I am wondering if my fuel pump is going bad. The car is hard to start, it makes this sputtering sound, it makes this sounds in p, r, n, d, 3, 2, 1, i cant here it priming when i turn the key to ACC, it has gotten progressively worse, when i give it more gas, it sputters, and loses power. How would i check the pump to see if its still in good condition. If its not the pump then what could it be

try going to the fuel pump relay and pull it out (turn key to acc), one of those leads should be hot, basically bypass the relay with a small wire , you should be able to hear your pump prime if its good. hope this helps.

GALANT59
04-02-2010, 12:56 AM
try going to the fuel pump relay and pull it out (turn key to acc), one of those leads should be hot, basically bypass the relay with a small wire , you should be able to hear your pump prime if its good. hope this helps.

im having the same issue...took the fuel pump out ran a pos and neg wire from the batt to it ...worked....put it back in and plugged the wires and turn the ignition on nothing....so now im thinking its the relay...but dont know were its located....can you tell me where its located ?

mrg7243
04-02-2010, 09:04 AM
i know the relay is located in the engine compartment fuse box

GALANT59
04-02-2010, 11:36 AM
yha but which one is it .....under the cover theres no indication

mrg7243
04-02-2010, 01:00 PM
check the owners manuel i dont have my stuff in front of me

GALANT59
04-02-2010, 06:29 PM
lol dont have one

GalantEVOII
05-14-2010, 04:32 PM
I believe its the one marked with a "P" and an engine-shaped icon in the box under the "P"

GalantEVOII
05-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Then again I wasn't thinking.... I looked at mine assuming yours is a 4 cyl 8G too... Geez...

mrg7243
05-15-2010, 07:34 PM
oh i have picture of where it is and which one one my phone just have been to lazy to take them off and post, ill do it with in the next few days.
and i have no clue what the issue is, i am replaceing the head gasket, cause im buring off coolant and my exhaust has a sickly sweet smell to it, and no my cats havent gone bad since they are brand new the both of them.

mrg7243
05-16-2010, 07:01 PM
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af322/mrg7243/Galant/0411101140.jpg
heres where the fuse is

and for clearer you can see where it was removed from, the fuse next to it is the trannsmission fuse
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af322/mrg7243/Galant/0411101140a.jpg

GalantEVOII
05-19-2010, 09:40 PM
right... right... it was pointed out in the Haynes manual.
Now that I have fuel pump issues, I found that my fuel pump works but is weak
because I can hear the "whirring" sound as I crank the car but that initial "whirr" when I turn the key to the ON position does not sound. I noticed that my old battery was completely discharged so I got a brand new battery and tried again. Still no "whirring" from the fuel pump as I turn the key to the ON position and it is still weak because I can hear it only when I press my ear to the fuel pump service hole. I am trying not to think of the pump being faulty so I ordered a new relay as I noticed there was no click from the relay when the circuit closes...

mrg7243
05-19-2010, 09:58 PM
i noticed with my car before i pulled everything(check my build thread tommorrow and youll see what i mean) mine wouldnt do it on the ON position, but when i crank the motor, and then let of it you can here it prime

GalantEVOII
05-19-2010, 10:17 PM
That happened to me once.... electricity is my weak point....
I am powerless to fix my problem

varroa
05-19-2010, 11:37 PM
did you try to pull the pump out and run electric tests? how about replacing the fuel filter? how many miles on the current filter?

GalantEVOII
05-20-2010, 12:09 AM
the filter is new... tests show that the pump is good. but I might have to re-test it and if it hasn't been replaced since the car was built then it has 180000 miles on it... it worked fine until the car overheated. I replaces everything that needed to be replaced, and prior to replacing the battery, I was able to hear the pump prime... it just magically went to a weak-sounding "whirr"

GalantEVOII
05-20-2010, 12:21 AM
even when i jumped the relay