PDA

View Full Version : PRNDL relocation?

E_Emerson88
03-28-2010, 11:41 PM
I was driving my sisters Honda and i like how the PRNDL is in the cluster. I want to get a shift boot but it would cover the one in the shifter. Any ideas of an external PRNDL display that wont cost way too much?

E_Emerson88
03-30-2010, 04:25 AM
anybody? lol

polishmafia
03-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Your car only has 5 settings. How do you not know what gear you are in at any given time? Throw a boot on there and call it a day.

03-Galant-ES
03-30-2010, 09:12 AM
If you really need to know what gear you are in you can possibly make your own using 7 Leds. Wire them to the shifter under neath the console. Put a metal plate on the P and on on the shifter piece that slides. Wire it so that when they contact at like P then P is lit up. Then make a custom box with holes cut out labeled PRND32L and mount it somewhere that would look cool. That is probably the easiest route.

mitsu_vic
03-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Speaking of the PRNDL, is it supposed to light up? Someone asked me the other night how I knew which gear I was in, guess I never paid attention before and most of my driving is in day light...

03-Galant-ES
03-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Speaking of the PRNDL, is it supposed to light up? Someone asked me the other night how I knew which gear I was in, guess I never paid attention before and most of my driving is in day light...

no it is just a piece of orange reflector tape.

Da_Prodigy
03-30-2010, 09:36 AM
that would be a cool mod tbh if it is done right

viljar70
03-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Very simple Gear indicator would be to use Reed Switches.. their basicly Switches that react to a magnet

http://www.aquahub.com/store/media/floatwork-1.jpg

Their really cheap.. like 3-5$ for a 10-pack

Schematic is also really simple..

http://j.imagehost.org/0848/reed.jpg

The resistors have to calculated depending on the color..
(on a 12V system 560R for Red and Green, 475 for Blue and White)

Just put a Reed to Every Gear position and attach the Magnet on the Gear lever
and put the LED's where ever U want..

All LED's can have a common Positive or Negative.. so 8 wire LAN Cable would be perfect.

beam514
03-30-2010, 02:29 PM

no I think there's a little LED down there. Or a tiny bulb. Cause when I did the 5-speed swap I saw the bulb and had to remove it.

Jeffylou87
03-30-2010, 04:17 PM
That bulb lights up all the letters at once.. The tape is the only thing that moves.

beam514
03-30-2010, 05:53 PM
That bulb lights up all the letters at once.. The tape is the only thing that moves.

oh yea you're right. Only the slider thing moves.

but Emerson I wouldn't worry about making some custom PRNDL thing. It's pretty easy to tell what you're in. I was driving around for a little bit without the selector thing attached (so basically all it was only the shifter itself and a whole bunch of grease) and I could easily tell what gear I was in. From P you go to Reverse, then just 2 clicks to go to drive

Reelax
03-30-2010, 07:17 PM

there is a bulb in there. i replaced that bulb last year. there is even a tutorial here on how to replace it w/ LED's.