PDA

View Full Version : Sputtering

mrg7243
03-29-2010, 06:04 PM
I have a huge problem, My car sputters, it does it in all the gears and even on jack stands. When i start the car its very hard to start, i cant hear the fuel pump prime(i have no backseats in the car), when i start to drive off its fine at around 1500rpm, but unless i sit there and drive like a granny it starts to sputter when it hits around 1800rpm, and by sputter i mean completey lose power and make a dah dah dah dah sound, (like a j-brake on a tractor trailer but not as loud) until i roll off the throttle alittle bit.

But if i drive like a grannny and slowly get the car up to 2500rpms and roll into a little its sputters and loses power again.

WTF could this be, i have brand new o2 sensors, and new plugs. The throttle body is clean along with the maf and filter, IAC is good. What could it be??

varroa
03-29-2010, 06:59 PM
so did you run the tests for the fuel pump and it checked out ok?

try replacing the fuel filter.

mrg7243
03-29-2010, 07:17 PM
no i didnt i couldnt find anything on how to test it, but i will check the fuse and relay this weekend, the fuel filter is attached to the pump right??

varroa
03-29-2010, 07:39 PM
yes and is a pain in the ass to replace. it takes a few large trash bags, a lot of shop paper towels, a lot of elbow grease (to remove teh fukken ring around the fuel pump) and about two-three hours to do this.

mrg7243
03-29-2010, 07:47 PM
damn, well i got a five day weekend with spring break so hopefully something should come together. I am about to order a used fuel pump from a guy who had an 02 galant with 94,000 and he said it worked great, so ill see it cheap

varroa
03-29-2010, 08:30 PM
hmm. ok.

a new OEM fuel filter runs about $50 plus shipping, if i remember right. www.oemmitsubishiparts.com.

my old one was yellow and covered with the same gunk as the rest of the fuel pump parts. i have 140k miles and owned it since 99k. only try to use shell gasoline.