PDA

View Full Version : 03 Keyless/Domelight/etc fuse blowing at random

Twelvoltz
04-01-2010, 08:06 PM
First, I apologize if this specific problem has been covered, but after searching through the forums I can not seem to find an answer. As the posts I was able to find reference aftermarket accessories. I have a friend with an 03 Galant that keeps blowing the 10amp fuse that controls the interior lights and keyless entry. The car has no aftermarket accessories. The first time he brought me the car, I replaced the fuse and all seemed well for the 5 hours the car was here. The next day he calls to say it went out again.

My plan of attack is the obvious, start taking things apart looking for shorts, frays, voltage drops, etc. But I was hoping someone else had the same problem and might be able to point me in a direction to start looking.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

The picture shows the fuse in question.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx111/Twelvoltz/Galant%20Fuse/2010-04-01194856.jpg

Twelvoltz
04-02-2010, 11:07 AM
OK, I believe I found the problem and how to repair it. Again, if this has been posted before please feel free to delete the thread. After pulling the under hood fuse box out, tracing the entire harness through the vehicle, removing the radio, tracing that harness through the dash, I decided to pull the dome light assembly. This is where I believe the entire problem lies. The switch that controls the dome selector (whether or not the light comes on with the door, or manually on, or off) uses as metal bar to contact between constant hot, or switched hot controlled by the door pins (I assume anyway) was touching between the ground and hot traces. It appears that the plastic tab that is supposed to hold the bar in place gives way. Simply pushing the bar down on the tab, taking a soldering iron to the plastic tab to hold the bar in place resolved the problem. Picture shows what I am so feebly attempting to explain, and I hope it clarifies it for anyone who may run into the same problem.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx111/Twelvoltz/Galant%20Fuse/GalantLight.jpg

Twelvoltz
04-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Actually, now that I stare at the photo, and thinking that most imported vehicles switch ground the labels and description I gave might be incorrect in identifying the polarities of the metal traces. I am thinking the center might be hot and the outer traces are ground. I never actually metered it once I found the problem. However the repair is still the same procedure. Or at least it was for me.

dimushor
04-02-2010, 11:18 AM
loool, nice monologue!!!

03-Galant-ES
04-02-2010, 11:34 AM
yeah the dome light has a history of shorting that fuse, the radio should be on it as well. I had that issue twice in 07

Twelvoltz
04-02-2010, 01:37 PM
loool, nice monologue!!!

LOL, I tend to ramble...sorry.