PDA

View Full Version : Idle Issue

kcarel
04-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Ok, got a 2002 V6 here. I noticed I was misfiring on cylinder #5. Turned out to be a bad rotor and cap. I went ahead and pulled the plenum and replaced valve cover gaskets, spark plugs. Checked all wires to be around 5-7 ohms (good wires). Got it all back together, fires up just nicely. Now after I messed with the throttle body, the idle is a bit screwy I adjusted the idle with that 2-bolt slide that is mounted on the backside of the plenum to around 800-900 rpms. I noticed that when it's out of gear (park or neutral), it idles just fine. If I put it in gear (with brake applied) the rpms drop to 500 and the motor shimmys because the idle is so low. When I drive around the transmission seems confused and shifts at the wrong time during acceleration. I dont know how to explain this but it seems to dump off into the next gear too early leaving the car in a high gear at low speed making it seemingly sluggish.

So, I readjusted that slide I was talking about and gave it more rpms. I understand from the manual that these cars are designed to "learn" throttle position and will adjust idle to the proper rpm. So, I set the idle to 1500 rpm and when in gear (with brakes applied) it drops to 900. it's been a week now and the car has not adjusted the idle naturally.

Now, I dont know about you, but before I've never had the car fluxuate more than maybe 100-200 rpms being out of gear and in gear (with brake applied).

Sorry this is long but hopefully not confusing. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Da_Prodigy
04-07-2010, 11:30 AM
drive your car for a while so your car can relearn the proper idle

Corey2kG
04-07-2010, 11:41 AM
i had the same problem after i cleaned my throttle body i didnt adjust anything but when i disconnect my positive side of the batt. my idle messes up i would turn the car on and it would turn right back off. i would have to drive with 2 feet til i can get on the highway i would drive it for a few miles then let it sit for a few minutes and it would be fine try disconnect the batt. the negitive side 1st then from park all the way down to 1 have it try to relearn the pressures from the tranny. then after that disconnect the positive side drive with 2 feet and see if your idle will adjust itself....