PDA

View Full Version : Recent drop... And need advise

CIENFUEGO1
04-09-2010, 09:13 AM
I've recently drop my 8g on kyb gr2 struts and Meagan springs. The rear got the hieght I want ( shaved fenders ) but the front didn't go as low as I though it would.Still need about an inch or so. Has this happend to anyone else? I'm thinking bout clamping them but I'm going to wait a month to see if by any chance it needs some kind of time to set properly. By the way she is sitting on a set of 17 inch steelies tires are 225 55 17. I'm trying a different look with this one.

03-Galant-ES
04-09-2010, 09:16 AM
I've recently drop my 8g on kyb gr2 struts and Meagan springs. The rear got the hieght I want ( shaved fenders ) but the front didn't go as low as I though it would.Still need about an inch or so. Has this happend to anyone else? I'm thinking bout clamping them but I'm going to wait a month to see if by any chance it needs some kind of time to set properly. By the way she is sitting on a set of 17 inch steelies tires are 225 55 17. I'm trying a different look with this one.

Those tires are way too big you should have 225/45-17

The car needs time to settle, but you can only go so low on struts and springs without cutting which can damage the strut or worse your car.

madkilla
04-09-2010, 10:22 AM
yup ur tire is too big its like the stock...just like 03galantes go low pro,,,225/45/17 is good just like my tires and they perform very well

warren
04-09-2010, 10:50 AM
same as me

CIENFUEGO1
04-09-2010, 11:57 AM
You know what, they are 45's my bad. So let me ask you this , why didn't the back react the same as the front?

showtime
04-09-2010, 12:47 PM
if you want to be slammed, you need coilovers.

RAZ_76
04-09-2010, 01:21 PM
You know what, they are 45's my bad. So let me ask you this , why didn't the back react the same as the front?

Front and rear are not the same, that would be why. Until you post pictures, us old timers wont know what you're talking about until you post some pictures to be able to tell you if it's normal or not. Ive had 3 different spring set ups and coilovers on my 3 galants, I could give you advice but first I need to see this gap that you're so unhappy with.

Here was one of my galants with megan springs, KYB agx struts/shocks, 17s with 225 45 and there was a small gap. This is a good drop for a daily driver. If you want it lower then this then you need coilovers and those will run you about 1000 shipped.

http://gi153.photobucket.com/groups/s220/MVVGKWHGP5/01build003.jpg

Corey2kG
04-09-2010, 01:49 PM
i know everyone is against cutting springs. im going to school for auto tech and just finished the suspension term and by dropping a car period will mess up the car its too much to get into but they do say cutting a spring makes it stiffer my buddy has a 2004 civic witm oem shocks/struts and tein springs he even cut a coil for a lower drop and it was fine it didnt bounce at all and handled like a dream imo if you do cut the springs just use caution if you cut too much theres no going back... they say if your gonna lower your car get a complete kit ex. adjustable control arms and a bunch of other shit... i tried looking for such a kit and couldnt find anything... its all up to you let the springs settle first...

CIENFUEGO1
04-09-2010, 02:07 PM
I'll post some pics later on tonight for y'all old school cats. But my gap is pretty much what that red one has, but it's only in the front. The back tucks in very well, like I said I'll post those pics tonight. How long should I wait to let them settle before I start trying to adjust?

RAZ_76
04-09-2010, 04:19 PM
I'll post some pics later on tonight for y'all old school cats. But my gap is pretty much what that red one has, but it's only in the front. The back tucks in very well, like I said I'll post those pics tonight. How long should I wait to let them settle before I start trying to adjust?
Well if that's the case, then it's normal.

AmericanJambo
04-09-2010, 04:40 PM
http://gi153.photobucket.com/groups/s220/MVVGKWHGP5/01build003.jpg

That is about as perfect a drop as i've ever seen. Looks like I'll be copying your setup. ;) Did you have to adjust your camber?

CIENFUEGO1
04-09-2010, 05:57 PM
How the hell do i put a freaking pic in this reply!

03-Galant-ES
04-09-2010, 06:01 PM
How the hell do i put a freaking pic in this reply!

post it on photobucket or image shack and put the picture url in [img....] url here [...../img]

without the periods.

RAZ_76
04-10-2010, 12:49 AM
That is about as perfect a drop as i've ever seen. Looks like I'll be copying your setup. ;) Did you have to adjust your camber?

Yes, rear only, used Ingalls.

CIENFUEGO1
04-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Here we go, again how long do ya'll think i should wait till i try to fix? do ya'll think it's possible that they sent me the front springs to a v6 instead of i4?
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/CIENFUEGO1/photo2.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/CIENFUEGO1/photo3.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/CIENFUEGO1/securedownload1.jpg

CIENFUEGO1
04-10-2010, 11:38 AM
damn them pics came out big as fuck.

Corey2kG
04-10-2010, 11:43 AM
it should take about a month or so for the springs to settle and holy thats slammed...

CIENFUEGO1
04-10-2010, 11:52 AM
bet that up corey.

OMEGA PHX
04-10-2010, 11:58 AM
You are really slammed, but I would like to see picture of your car on the street, side pics of the car on a leveled surface.

RAZ_76
04-10-2010, 12:06 PM
That's pefect, what are you complaining about??? Nobody makes a spring that will drop the front more and give it a rake. Right now it's leveled since the rear quarter panel sits lower then the front, it's just how it's designed.

Corey2kG
04-10-2010, 12:18 PM
i meant to say holy shit lol it does look good too low for my taste usually when i see an 8g dropped the back looks like it sit higher or almost even after the springs settle if the front isnt where you want it you may have to cut about a half a coil...

8g831
04-10-2010, 01:07 PM
thats good dude looks just like my drop once you settle in and you start scraping by accident youll see no need to go lower just add some rims and your straight

4g63lover
04-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Jeffy Lou is going to jizz when he sees your wheel/tire set-up.

CIENFUEGO1
04-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Oh i didnt know that. What am i complaining about? The bitch looks uneven. Yours looks even. I guess i'll wait a month like corey said to see if it evens out. I'll try and gets those pics on the street later on today.

Reelax
04-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Oh i didnt know that. What am i complaining about? The bitch looks uneven. Yours looks even. I guess i'll wait a month like corey said to see if it evens out. I'll try and gets those pics on the street later on today.

give it time to settle as the front will come down a little more but not much. but if you wanna get the gaps perfectly even your going to have to go full coilovers or air.

here is a side shot of my car with the gaps even, but i'm on full coilovers (TEIN SS-P). notice how the front is slightly lower than the rear because the front well is bigger than the rear:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff8/ooreelaxoo/garageprofile1a.jpg

Corey2kG
04-10-2010, 03:55 PM
just gotta be patient lol 19's should fill that up if you gonna keep the blackouts like reelax said go to coilovers if not if your still not happy with the front then cut the springs...

Jeffylou87
04-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks for taking my idea of using P71 interceptor center caps..

CIENFUEGO1
04-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Ur idea? Yeah I still Gota get rid of the ford shit. Like I said I'm trying somthing diffrent. Relax your shit is what I'm looking for I'll probably end up cuting a bit thanks bro

OMEGA PHX
04-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Ur idea? Yeah I still Gota get rid of the ford shit. Like I said I'm trying somthing diffrent. Relax your shit is what I'm looking for I'll probably end up cuting a bit thanks bro

Dude Reelax showed you his picture to show you the best way to lower your car more than 2" or get a even wheel gap: Full Coilovers.

I wouldn't recommend cutting the springs and Megan springs even less since they are much shorter than normal to drop you the 2" or so they drop. If you want to slam your car do it right from the first time go Full coilovers or Airbags to have the height adjustability.

RAZ_76
04-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Dude Reelax showed you his picture to show you the best way to lower your car more than 2" or get a even wheel gap: Full Coilovers.

I wouldn't recommend cutting the springs and Megan springs even less since they are much shorter than normal to drop you the 2" or so they drop. If you want to slam your car do it right from the first time go Full coilovers or Airbags to have the height adjustability.

Let him, he ain't listening.

CIENFUEGO1
04-11-2010, 01:12 AM
Oh I'm listening but fortunatly I'm the proud father of two beautyful boys and don't have the funds for those nice coil overs or those real nice airbags. I'm actualy lucky I was able to get these struts and cheap springs. But your input is very much apreciated I hope To keep doing more things to my g, she deserves it, she's been through alot with me.

RAZ_76
04-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Oh I'm listening but fortunatly I'm the proud father of two beautyful boys and don't have the funds for those nice coil overs or those real nice airbags. I'm actualy lucky I was able to get these struts and cheap springs. But your input is very much apreciated I hope To keep doing more things to my g, she deserves it, she's been through alot with me.

If she's been through a lot with you, don't you think she deserves the best an don't cut corners and endanger your kids life when they are riding with you??? Cutting those Megan will be unsafe, specially at highway speeds.

Corey2kG
04-11-2010, 01:35 PM
honestly everyone here doesnt like the whole cutting springs thing... if you cut too much off your springs it wouldnt be safe... if you cut the right amount you would be fine i cut my bro in laws tein springs on his civic and he raced alot and his car handled and performed at its best and i cut my stock springs on my G in the front 2 weeks ago and she drives just fine and im on the highway alot... i wouldnt give you any bs i have 3 boys myself 6 4 n 1... and i live about a half hour away from them on the highway and i pick them up every weekend... imo its really your decision just make the right one... the only reason i cut my springs is cuz all the springs didnt give me the drop i wanted... pm me if you got any ?'s heres a pic of my G
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz203/holiday0808/012.jpg

RAZ_76
04-11-2010, 01:52 PM
honestly everyone here doesnt like the whole cutting springs thing... if you cut too much off your springs it wouldnt be safe... if you cut the right amount you would be fine i cut my bro in laws tein springs on his civic and he raced a lot and his car handled and performed at its best and i cut my stock springs on my G in the front 2 weeks ago and she drives just fine and I'm on the highway a lot... i wouldn't give you any bs i have 3 boys myself 6 4 n 1... and i live about a half hour away from them on the highway and i pick them up every weekend... imo its really your decision just make the right one... the only reason i cut my springs is cuz all the springs didnt give me the drop i wanted... pm me if you got any ?'s heres a pic of my G
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz203/holiday0808/012.jpg
Teins drop is less then Megan. Have you looked at his ride, you see how low it sits already. Springs and their rate are designed a certain way for a reason. It might ride fine but one day when you might just need to avoid something quickly, the response might throw you off enough to make you lose control but all you guys that cut corners, go ahead an encourage this cheesy, rice technique. Also, one day you might need to brake hard, guess what happens when you lessened the strength on those front coils by cutting them?? Wont be my kids riding in these cars. How do I know?? Because back hen I was 18 and stupid, I too said shut up, Im cutting my springs and they ride fine until one day when I had to avoid something and learned the hard way. If you can't afford to do it right, don't do it until you have cash. You have to understand the cars suspension design and why it's the way it is, not just do stuff to it because everyone does it. That's what separates tasteful cars from rice, knowledge.

Im done trying to share knowledge with rice mentality.

Corey2kG
04-11-2010, 02:22 PM
oh believe me ive done all that ive tested my car b4 i even took her out i did a little obsticle course for all those different reason she handles fine brakes fine ive had no issues but to each his own... when i get my girl her own car ill be getting tein springs...

4g63lover
04-11-2010, 03:34 PM
The problem with cutting springs is the fact that no one can "accurately" cut each spring so they'll have the same spring rate once theyre done. Essentially what you are doing is only shortening the spring but not compensating for the strength that was lost by cutting one "coil" or whatever.

To each his own like you said, if putting your childrens lives and yourself in danger is your thing then go for it. I'll stick to proper lowering springs/coilovers.

Corey2kG
04-11-2010, 04:06 PM
i suppose your right if your gonna cut your springs dont be ridiculous about it... if you cut too much of course your gonna have issues thats why you take the time to cut them little by little which is what did did til i got to where i wanted im not going any lower then what i am she doesnt bounce or ride rough handling is the same as b4 and brakes a little better... my girl is a beginner driver and putting lowering springs would kill my G she drives just as good at the stock ride height i cut 1 whole coil and maybe a quarter off the next... any lower i would be stupid to even think of driving her and again to each his own and this is what i chose to do for the time being... im going to school for auto tech and they even say its ok to cut the springs and my instructors are ASE cert. senior master techs with 30+ years in the auto field and they even say its ok to cut them as long has its not excessive... now if anyone else has higher credentials then that then let me know... even show me proof that cutting the springs are bad i would believe it... im not trying to start any shit with anybody but i know what im talking about... opinions are great but like i always say to my kids..."dont knock it til you try it"...imo

CIENFUEGO1
04-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Damn you guys are starting to get heated here. Don't make it personal. Your trying to make me sound like I'm willing to put my kids life in danger. Like Corey said opinions are great.... This isn't my first car and the last thing I want to do is ghetto rig my car. Like I said earlier I already bought and installed what I got and all I keep hearing from some of y'all is how I should buy this and that, don't get mad. I'm very happy with how the car is riding and handling, just wanted to see if I can take it down that extra inch. I'm looking for advise not a lecture on how "ricey" I am. Thanks to all you guys.

RedGalant2k1
04-11-2010, 05:18 PM
i suppose your right if your gonna cut your springs dont be ridiculous about it... if you cut too much of course your gonna have issues thats why you take the time to cut them little by little which is what did did til i got to where i wanted im not going any lower then what i am she doesnt bounce or ride rough handling is the same as b4 and brakes a little better... my girl is a beginner driver and putting lowering springs would kill my G she drives just as good at the stock ride height i cut 1 whole coil and maybe a quarter off the next... any lower i would be stupid to even think of driving her and again to each his own and this is what i chose to do for the time being... im going to school for auto tech and they even say its ok to cut the springs and my instructors are ASE cert. senior master techs with 30+ years in the auto field and they even say its ok to cut them as long has its not excessive... now if anyone else has higher credentials then that then let me know... even show me proof that cutting the springs are bad i would believe it... im not trying to start any shit with anybody but i know what im talking about... opinions are great but like i always say to my kids..."dont knock it til you try it"...imo

Your instructors aren't suspension engineers, nor can they say they understand the dynamics of each piece of your suspension system enough to alter one thing without taking into account that one thing affecting the entire balance of the car. I know hundreds of auto technicians, many of them also master techs, many have their own races cars. And I supply parts and tires to many other high end automotive shops, never once have I heard any of them say at any level it is ok to cut the springs.

Now keep in mind I'm not advocating that its completely stupid...that is if it is a trailer queen or strictly show car then its for a certain purpose, and isn't intended for everyday use. However, if the car is driven everyday than it is just plain insane to do especially considering the affect it has on handling dynamics.

RAZ_76
04-11-2010, 05:33 PM

I've had my ASE for almost 15 years, have experience doing suspension work ( airbags on trucks, springs and others, paint and body, worked on planes for over 20 years dude but ok. What do you have to support your theory?? Your teacher giving you bad advice and you cutting your springs? You call that proof??Your master mechanics know their stuff? Really?! I would transfer from that school if that's the advice they give to students now in days. I doubt they ditell you that but if they did. Makes sense why they are teachers now and not out in the field.

You're going to school to be a mechanic but still cutting corners?? I would expect that from a ricer that doesn't know any better. The advices I give are from experience, no hear say. I almost died from cutting corners and cutting coils. What proof do you have that it wont cause a problem??. You really want that advice to be on your conscious if something happens?? It's sad that your are going to school to learn how to do things the right way but still insist on using rice mentality. It goes to show that once a ricer, always a ricer.:075:

Corey2kG
04-11-2010, 07:38 PM
this has gotten way off subject im not getting mad at anyone all im saying is you can cut the springs for what cienfuego1 is trying to accomplish cutting part of one coil would be fine... raz we good im not mad i hope your not mad no need for "name callin" we just bumpin heads thats all my instructors said you can cut the springs but thats a worse comes to worst situation if any body wants to get techincal we all are doing it wrong we should be dropping our cars with complete kits not just springs or coilovers ive never seen one for any G... period dropping a car is screwing up all the specs on any car... theres no need for any one to get mad isnt this what this forum is for??? i dont need enemies or bs im just saying my G handles and drives and brakes fine even under bad conditions raz i hope we good im just saying yeah i cut this corner but im not regreting it i will get my teins but only when its me driving the G... i dont race or do the track just work school and home so what i did it serves its purpose thats all...and rg2k1 your right as well no there not but everything serves its purpose... i hope all of you understand what im trying to say.... this is the point of this forum everyone helps everyone... and no one can front unless your a mitsu prof most of this is trial n error.... and in that pic of my G thats a speed bump thats why it might look low...its really not everythings just even...

4g63lover
04-11-2010, 07:45 PM
im going to school for auto tech and they even say its ok to cut the springs and my instructors are ASE cert. senior master techs with 30+ years in the auto field and they even say its ok to cut them as long has its not excessive...

I would like to know what auto tech school you go to because I go to Universal Technical Institute in Glendale Heights, IL and I've never heard any of the ASE certified instructors at my school tell me that cutting springs are okay.

Corey2kG
04-11-2010, 07:50 PM
still missing the point its not the greatest thing to do but it can be done just not excessively...i go to porter n chester the powerpoints we cover in lecture it does mention it... it just says cutting them makes it stiffer thats all... theres no need to take it out of context...

mrg7243
04-11-2010, 08:50 PM
honestly its each to his own, everyone is taught differently, i mentioned lowering my car to one of my neighbors who is an ASE certified mechanic and he said cut the springs, that his opinion, my opinion is screw that, i wouldn't feel comfortable riding around on cut springs. but as i said each to his own. from what ive gathered this forum is all about opinions on how to do things, there is no set way you have to do things. somebody may say that they dont like the way you do something, but that there opinion. its whatever makes you happy ...... and thats my opinion ;)

4g63lover
04-11-2010, 09:09 PM
still missing the point its not the greatest thing to do but it can be done just not excessively...i go to porter n chester the powerpoints we cover in lecture it does mention it... it just says cutting them makes it stiffer thats all... theres no need to take it out of context...

well, figured since you were high and mighty about being a "auto tech" student, I'd try and feel the air up on the pedestal you put yourself on. :wink:

All I'm saying is, there is a lot of "opinions" about how to do something on a car. whether it's the "wrong" way or "right" way there is a PROPER way of doing things. Cutting springs are FAR from being the proper way to lower your car IMO. In your past posts in this thread you've been pushing your arguement because you claim to be in school for "auto-tech" which is irrelevant in the first place because not because you go to school to learn this shit, doesn't mean you are above the person who has actually experienced the wrong end of the stick. Vise-Versa.

I'm sorry to post more irrelevant shit on here, but I can't stand the "I am an auto tech student so I know more than you" attitude. I'm also an auto tech student and I deal with pricks like these everyday. Not saying you are one of them because I dont know you personally to insult you but your comment hit a nerve with me.

No hard feelings on my part and again, I'm sorry for jacking this thread.

To the OP, I love the way the car looks, let the springs settle down and see if you like the stance. If you want to cut it, then cut it. It's your car after all.

03-Galant-ES
04-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Corey2000Galant: I know you are an auto tech student, but punctuation is not a hard concept to grasp. In fact I believe my 6 year old niece is getting the hang of punctuation as well.

I am sorry, but I have to speak my mind now. You and your instructors point of view on this topic are, to me, irrelevant. Take what you can from the school you are going to in terms of mechanical knowledge and working on cars. There is a difference between mechanical engineers and mechanical technicians. Speaking as a person who attended an Engineering college cutting springs is a bad idea. Spring rates are something that we learned there in like our first semester. Yes cutting springs does change the spring ratio and make them stiffer, but you are changing the ratio by compressing the spring more from top to bottom so that when you hit a bump or when the tension is released it is released quickly. This can result in a bouncy ride(I don't want to hear about your experience or your Honda owning brothers experience). The bouncing ride can cause the car to bottom out more by compressing down faster or can chance the vehicles handing ability by making it lose traction when traction is needed. A respected TGC member with more experience than you states the bad that happened when he cut corners and his handling was compromised and another member also argued that you are not as precise in cutting as you think you are and you still argued for the advantages of cutting springs. You cut stock springs, you took you technical knowledge and thought you knew more then the engineer that designed the product and that is where shit hits the fan. Engineers go through a lot more schooling for a reason, ASE certification takes what 18 months of schooling? Masters 24 months? Something along those lines I believe Mechanical engineering can take from 4 years for a bachelors to 6 or 7 years for a masters. So you tell me who knows more about the materials they are dealing with and the quality of the product they are turning out the tech who installs or the engineer who designs.

I agree that dropping on springs and struts is not ideal, but it is 25x better then someone cutting their stock springs without knowing specs especially when that some one thinks that removing 1.25 coils is no excessive modification of a product. So imho, stop being cheap and go buy some 200 lowering springs for the same drop you have now and be safe rather then risking your lives, but worse risking the lives of the people around you by cutting corners.

To the OP if you want a harsher drop, save up for coilovers and enjoy what you have now. There is a reason you dont see me cutting my springs when I want my drop to be more. Be safe and enjoy your car, be stupid and you may end up enjoying a casket. Take from this what you will.

Corey2kG
04-11-2010, 10:16 PM
im not trying to be "all high n mighty" im not better then anyone... yes its cutting corners and yes i understand spring ratios i just did the suspension term about six weeks ago, i will eventually buy springs but for now im just gonna leave her the way she is. we burnin up this guys thread with this nonsense... everyone has their own knowledge of cars and what to do n what not to do... im just saying from my experience i cut my springs and she rides just like she did at stock ride height. mass is full of pot holes and ive hit a few since i cut them i havent bottomed out and i dont bounce. i wish someone could drive her youselves... and again im not smarter then anyone on here im just saying what i learned. im not trying to have beef with anyone after all we here to be "friends" right? n offer help n give opinions and give our input right??? no beef no bullshit its all opinions...n as far as "punctuation" i dont care about it im not writing an essay or a term paper so oh well...lol all the bullshit aside in the end we just giving our opinons... and thats all that counts... and differences of opinions are a good thing. with most of these threads conversations go a little off topic, people bump heads thats just the way forums are... i dont know anyone here n i wouldnt mind meeting some of you guys in my area but again i dont want no bs with members here... please understand im a good guy easy to get along with so dont think with this thread that im an asshole or trying to bump heads with anyone here... let this post right here be the END of this bs. i looke dat some of my previous post in this thread and i do seem like an asshole but im really not. PEACE BROTHERS lmao....

CIENFUEGO1
04-12-2010, 05:41 AM
So what kind of coil overs do some of you guys recomend?

RAZ_76
04-12-2010, 09:46 AM
So what kind of coil overs do some of you guys recomend?

The cheap route?? Megan or Basic Tein.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN-COILOVER-DAMPER-KIT-00-05-ECLIPSE-99-04-GALANT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem414bcd8057QQitem Z280444633175QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fA ccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEIN-BASIC-COILOVER-DAMPER-MITSUBISHI-ECLIPSE-00-01-05_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b04cfadaQQitemZ170 461559514QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcces sories

Corey2kG
04-12-2010, 10:43 AM
those sound good a little pricey but worth the saving up...

RAZ_76
04-12-2010, 11:19 AM
those sound good a little pricey but worth the saving up...

Pricey?? Those two are probably the cheapest coilovers, there are better ones in the 1500 to 2300 range. But yes Mr. Rice, when you do something right, it costs.

Corey2kG
04-12-2010, 11:23 AM
oh you still got jokes lol its all good ill be mr. rice lol but still $800 to $900 is alot im trying to save up $1500 to get my bodywork and car painted right now...

CIENFUEGO1
04-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I see some of y'all get the setup from eclipses'. What year and model is compatible with the 8g? I told y'all I just got this setup. Didn't want to cut or heat the stock ones. I'll probably keep this setup for a bit. Trying to get a tahoe for the kids, my g is my daily.

Corey2kG
04-12-2010, 11:54 AM
2000-2005 eclipse are compatible...