PDA

View Full Version : automatic question???

PMMA1997
03-04-2003, 10:55 AM
In an automatic car does putting the gear in neutral while on a red light helps in gas consumption? :? Any of you guys do this? Does doing this help the car in any way? Thanks

Kain
03-04-2003, 12:49 PM
It wears out the shifter linkage a bit faster... I do it sometimes to cut down on the shaking (I'm still trying to get the transmission level right for the 25-75 degree days here in GA) And when I'm too lazy to sit with my foot on the brake at long lights. Otherwise, there's no real benefit. Your idle is actually lower in D than in Neutral anyway.

IllestGalant
03-04-2003, 06:07 PM
just leave it in drive

o0 XeRO G 0o
03-04-2003, 07:02 PM
only time i put my car in neutral is when i'm cruisin the streets and i see ahonda or another import, and people on the sidewalk. i kick it into neutral and rev the engine at em. then back into drive it goes and away I go... "vroom"

manybrews
03-04-2003, 10:38 PM
it helps nothing.

in fact, it can actually raise fuel consumption depending on when you do it.

I.E, i know some old coots that occasionally shift into nuetral when decelerating because it (in their words) saves gas.
this, of course, is totally wrong on todays fuel injected cars. As youre decelerating, the fuel injectors are shut off. They are NOT shut off if you pop it back into nuetral, as the car will need to idle.
This is a small example, but true nontheless.