PDA

View Full Version : white smoke please help!!!

Corey2kG
04-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Last week I started my car and reved it by mistake and there was a little cloud of white smoke and I noticed today when I went out this morning after my car warmed up there was aa light trail of white smoke coming from my car. It went away after about 10 minutes. What could it be I'm having issues troubleshooting.... please help... anyone

beam514
04-14-2010, 04:44 PM
it's probably just water vapor if you're not noticing it while driving or after it has warmed up. If this is not the case, then you might be burning coolant. Burnt coolant has a very distinct, sweet smell.. veryyyy different than water vapor. You'll know if it's coolant the second you smell something funky.

mrg7243
04-14-2010, 04:45 PM
blown head gasket, or you are some how getting oil into the combustion chambers,

beam514
04-14-2010, 04:51 PM
blown head gasket, or you are some how getting oil into the combustion chambers,

burning oil produces blue smoke, not white smoke. Believe me.. my 6G72 was blowing blue smoke EVERYWHERE haha

mrg7243
04-14-2010, 05:01 PM
ah my bad, just checked that out thanks for the insight

keith6110
04-14-2010, 05:18 PM
White smoke: White smoke is caused by water and or antifreeze entering the cylinder, and the engine trying to burn it with the fuel. The white smoke is steam. There are special gaskets (head gaskets are the primary gaskets) that keep the antifreeze from entering the cylinder area. The cylinder is where the fuel and air mixture are being compressed and burned. Any amount of antifreeze that enters this area will produce a white steam that will be present at the tailpipe area.

If white smoke is present, check to see if the proper amount of antifreeze is inside the radiator and the overflow bottle. Also check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake. Do not start the engine if the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, as serious internal engine damage can result.

How did antifreeze get in the oil or cylinder in the first place? The engine probably overheated and a head gasket failed due to excessive heat, thus allowing antifreeze to enter the cylinder (Where it is not meant to be).

Source: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/troubleshoot_smoke.htm

Corey2kG
04-14-2010, 05:19 PM
I did it in my shop I didn't smell coolant I put my hand up against the exhaust while it was running and I didn't smell coolant. The only leak I have is from the valve cover gasket in the back (v6) I looked in the spark plug ports and there's no oil I don't smell coolant. This past winter I smelled coolant in the cockpit but that was the heater core. This morning there was a thin cloud of smoke which went away. Its only when I rev the engine. I'm lost right now.

mrg7243
04-14-2010, 05:22 PM
did you seafoam it recenlty?? Do a compression test on each of the cylinders

Corey2kG
04-14-2010, 05:22 PM
White smoke: White smoke is caused by water and or antifreeze entering the cylinder, and the engine trying to burn it with the fuel. The white smoke is steam. There are special gaskets (head gaskets are the primary gaskets) that keep the antifreeze from entering the cylinder area. The cylinder is where the fuel and air mixture are being compressed and burned. Any amount of antifreeze that enters this area will produce a white steam that will be present at the tailpipe area.

If white smoke is present, check to see if the proper amount of antifreeze is inside the radiator and the overflow bottle. Also check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake. Do not start the engine if the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, as serious internal engine damage can result.

How did antifreeze get in the oil or cylinder in the first place? The engine probably overheated and a head gasket failed due to excessive heat, thus allowing antifreeze to enter the cylinder (Where it is not meant to be).

Source: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/troubleshoot_smoke.htm

I just changed my oil yesterday and it looked like regular 3500 mile oil that's why I'm lost...

beam514
04-14-2010, 05:24 PM
like I said before, I believe it to just be water vapor that is in the air and sits in the engine as the car sits. Then when you start it, the majority of it is heated up and thrown out the exhaust. But just to be sure, I would do like Keith posted and regularly check your coolant levels for a little while, as well as check the oil for contamination.

Corey2kG
04-14-2010, 05:26 PM
did you seafoam it recenlty?? Do a compression test on each of the cylinders

All is good I did all that trouble shooting I haven't had to do any major work to my engine nothings being mixed I feel like a retard lol cuz I can't figure this out.

Corey2kG
04-14-2010, 05:28 PM
In my shop when I rev it the smoke stays and it seems a little thick. But it doesn't smell like coolant.

RAZ_76
04-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Im sure one of those master mechanics could pin point exact cause =). If you ask me, nothing to worry about just yet. If the smoke persists, then worry. White smoke is definitely coolant burning in the block, the way it gets there is by a blown head gasket or cracked block.

Corey2kG
04-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Lmao still joking lol I didn't feel like asking them. They always busy there's like 50 people in my class and only 3 instuctors

RAZ_76
04-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Yeah, Im just joking now, Im over it..lol. I wouldn't worry about too much but if it gets more constant and longer, then worry,

keith6110
04-14-2010, 09:08 PM
feel any power changes?

Corey2kG
04-14-2010, 09:16 PM
feel any power changes?

What you mean power changes??? I guess its just condensation...

beam514
04-14-2010, 09:51 PM
power changes as in power of the engine while you're driving. Basically is your car lagging more than usual. But like I keep saying, I really think it's condensation if
a) the exhaust doesn't smell sweet
b) you didn't see any coolant in the oil
c) it has been a little cold lately (according to weather.com the low in your area was around 30-ish last night?)

keith6110
04-14-2010, 10:35 PM
power changes as in power of the engine while you're driving. Basically is your car lagging more than usual. But like I keep saying, I really think it's condensation if
a) the exhaust doesn't smell sweet
b) you didn't see any coolant in the oil
c) it has been a little cold lately (according to weather.com the low in your area was around 30-ish last night?)

ahaha on part c!

Stalker! jk.. great research

Corey2kG
04-14-2010, 11:08 PM
well when i drive up hill around 30 to 35 mph the rpms go to around 1300 and have to get her to downshift to go faster... even if i dont make her downshift the mph still goes up... but slowly... is that normal?