PDA

View Full Version : protecto wrap???

dGALANTc
04-15-2010, 12:37 PM
I installed my sound system and the rattling is, to say the least, annoying.
Went to the local home depot to pick up the cheap stuff for sound deadning and they protecto wrap they have doesn't have the foil on it. It has some thin plastic instead just wondering if it is the wrong stuff or did they just change something?
And most of all will it still work or should I get my money back?? Thanks guys for any help.
didn't know where to post this sorry if it's in the wrong spot

mko
04-15-2010, 01:15 PM
maybe this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260499229217&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

dGALANTc
04-15-2010, 01:35 PM
that's exactly what I got but they told me it's all they had.... Is that not the right thing? Thanks for the fast reply

G-spot
04-15-2010, 01:59 PM
It's not the foil that deadens sound rather it's the sticky tar that keeps stuff from rattling. The foil (or plastic) is there to keep the tar from melting and dripping away.

dGALANTc
04-15-2010, 02:17 PM
y thank you good sir... I do have another question tho... When you double layer do you peel both sides of the bottom layer or not? Never installed before so newbie ?s just had to come out..lol

G-spot
04-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Just peel off one side

dGALANTc
04-15-2010, 07:02 PM
thanks G -spot consider it done this weekend!!!

Shadow19
04-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Yea. That shit is used to water proof windows. I would know because i did construction. Some call it window seal, some call it bitchithane(sp?). Supposedly it works great.

dGALANTc
04-16-2010, 09:21 AM
it was in the window isle in home depot... So I'm sure your right. I'll see how it works firsthand for sound deadning pretty soon.

AmericanJambo
04-16-2010, 10:26 AM
So this stuff won't make your car smell like tar or chemicals when it gets hot out?

Shadow19
04-16-2010, 11:39 AM
All I have to say is be sure that you really want this shit in your car. Once its applied and heat gets to it you're not getting it off very easily. When we took it off it used to peel layers of plywood off its so strong. As for the tar smell I'm really not sure. Set it out in the sun for a day and let it get hot as hell and see if you can deal with the smell.

dGALANTc
04-16-2010, 11:43 AM
^thats a good question but i wouldnt think so considering that Dynamat uses the same tar sticky stuff and ive never heard any complaints about it... but im not looking to cover my entire car i just have a few "problem" areas i want to coat and i need something.. Dynamat is too expensive when this stuff is almost the same and works extremely similar...This info i read on TGC.

AmericanJambo
04-16-2010, 11:56 AM
I want to do my entire car with sound deadening. I think I priced out Hushmat and it came out to just under $400 so I'd love to find a less expensive material but I absolutely don't want my car to stink like tar or chemicals. So hopefully dGALANTc will let us know how it works out.

dGALANTc
04-16-2010, 12:16 PM
will do, although it wont be too hot in stl to see if it smells bad because of heat. but i will let you know whatever information i get as soon as i get it.

dGALANTc
04-18-2010, 11:43 PM
ok so i installed it today and as for sound deadening it is GREAT. it didnt completely stop the rattle but since i didnt expect it to its ok.
only one coat and only in the trunk. so i would say for the price you cant go wrong.

as for the smell i really cant say anything since it only got to about 70 degrees here plus it is only in the trunk ill do the doors later on and maybe i can be more help then...

i didnt take any pics today sorry i will try to asap tho that is if you want pics...

SPD_FRK
04-19-2010, 12:07 AM
There is a lot of information on the internet about the "cheap" materials such as what you have found at the local hardware type stores. The stuff you are using is an asphalt based product (mostly composed of tar), which is normal for what it is intended for (housing/construction/roofing material). You may not notice the smell much, some do and others simply don't. The downside to all of this cheap material that is asphalt based is once that tar/asphalt is applied to the car, and it heats up, the smell will linger in the car and soak into all of your car's interior fabric. Not too many people will find it enjoyable to ride in a car that stinks of fresh tar/asphalt....definitely something to consider when you take on this type of project.

The correct stuff to use is stuff like Dynamat, B-Quiet, FatMat, or Second Skin brands. There is a ton of information out there on each of those I named, as well as others I didn't. These products are expensive yes, but they are also made with the proper materials and shipped to you in sheets as any sound deadening material should be. You want to find a Butyl based material such as what Dynamat, B-Quiet, and Second Skin use. The foil on the back side of the material is simply to give some thermal efficiency to the material you lay down ontop of killing the rattles.

Just laying down the base layer you will eliminate some of the rattles, but you will spend a great deal of time doing this to all areas if you want it done right the first time (floor pans, trunk, spare tire well, the doors, etc...). After ths layer has been put down, you would apply a thicker foam like material over that which helps to kill some of the lower frequency rattles/noises from the car (engine and exhaust rumble).

I actually just finished laying down Second Skin Damplifier Lite in my Galant this weekend. The product I chose was the lightest they offered (don't want any excess weight), but the material was very easy to lay out in the car. I covered the floor pans, front and rear, the tunnel section of the floor, the firewall, and the door skins. Just from dropping small bolts in the car, and shutting the doors I noticed a significant improvement. I am not setting up for sound quality of the car audio stuff, simply just replaced the cheap factory materials that were in place.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/HD-SPDFRK/Galant/DSC_0002.jpg

I purchased 60sq ft directly from Second Skin for about $125. I still have to finish the trunk, but I still have a good amount of the material left to use.

Hope that helps any of you others that read this. I know some are hard pressed for money, bt if you take the cheap way out and it does come back to bite you in the butt later, you are out all of the time and money spent doing it the cheap way.

dGALANTc
04-19-2010, 12:37 AM
^^^^ Thanks a lot SPD_FRK. that was very valuable info right there. kinda has me thinking twice about it. i see that you did it the RIGHT way! that looks good man. wanna do mine???lol... no im joking.... unless you will do it.

AmericanJambo
04-19-2010, 09:57 AM
I purchased 60sq ft directly from Second Skin for about $125. I still have to finish the trunk, but I still have a good amount of the material left to use.

This is fantastic information, thank you. You bought the regular "Damplifer" right? The 60ft roll isn't listed on their website. Just the 40ft and the 80ft. Do you have a link tothe 60ft roll for $125.00? Is there enough material left to do the trunk and the underside of the hood? Thanks!

SPD_FRK
04-19-2010, 08:24 PM
This is fantastic information, thank you. You bought the regular "Damplifer" right? The 60ft roll isn't listed on their website. Just the 40ft and the 80ft. Do you have a link tothe 60ft roll for $125.00? Is there enough material left to do the trunk and the underside of the hood? Thanks!
That is nuts, I just checed out the sit and they no longer have Damplifier Lite listed. I wonder if they got rid of the stuff possibly? I may have got lucky because I just ordered mine abotu 2 weeks ago lol.

The Damplifier will be just the same, a little thicker and heavier per sq ft but nothing serious.

Jeffylou87
04-19-2010, 08:45 PM
You should also put rubber grommets in between the license plate and the trunk.. Around each screw.. Also, you should put the two bottom screws in..

dGALANTc
04-19-2010, 08:59 PM
thanks guys... i have decided to do things the right way.. so i will be searching for some cheap stuff that is actually made for what im using it for.

Jedi iRevo
07-21-2010, 01:56 AM
i bought this u think it will do the same trick?? it cost me like 17$ or should i consider buying peel and seal or protector wrap?

http://www.bestmaterials.com/images/u-seal-copper-large.jpg

dGALANTc
07-21-2010, 09:21 AM
well I think it would work but you might want to read what spd_frk wrote he is all knowing. (wanting to be just like him when I grow up lol)... But seriously he knows more about it than I do and I took the protecto wrap off my car after reading his post.

Rach3T8G
07-21-2010, 10:29 AM
why not use dyno matt

G-spot
07-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Dyna mat is fine. I just got back from Home Depot and bought some Protecto wrap for the window siding. I was shocked the product was alot different from 5 years ago. It turned out they went cheap on us and replaced the aluminum shielding with......teflon sheets. Talk about cutting back on cost! I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

OMEGA PHX
07-21-2010, 12:37 PM
why not use dyno matt

The problem with dynamat is that its expensive.

Hey dGALANTc, what system did you put on?
what did you ended up using?

Jedi iRevo
07-21-2010, 01:17 PM
it feels like it has aluminum on it so idk if i should even try i only got 2 12"s in da trunk lol

dGALANTc
07-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Hey dGALANTc, what system did you put on?
what did you ended up using?

i just have two 12" kenwoods powered with two 600 watt kenwood amps. sounds pretty good.

but i went ahead and bought the expensive dynamatt just to cut it down a little. i also removed the third brake light in the rear window since i have one on my spoiler because this was a big part of the rattle, although this isnt a option for all G's

Corey2kG
07-21-2010, 04:44 PM
I have 2 12' clarions and a 1800 kenwood in mine rattling is not that bad im gonna be removing my high mount has well when i paint n install my spoiler. just gotta sit on my trunk lmao although i would like to put some dynamat. about $360 installed the complete trunk

EDIT 12" lol my bad

dGALANTc
07-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I have 2 12' clarions and a 1800 kenwood in mine rattling is not that bad im gonna be removing my high mount has well when i paint n install my spoiler. just gotta sit on my trunk lmao although i would like to put some dynamat. about $360 installed the complete trunk

two 12 foot subs how did you get em in the trunk... lol j/k but the high mount was my main prob when that was removed i just went to the local custom sounds and got an $80 dynamat kit for the bad spots

Corey2kG
07-21-2010, 05:39 PM
damn i wish it was that cheap for me too lol. i just stuffed a rag under there lol

Jedi iRevo
07-21-2010, 08:45 PM
sooo i put da 17$ stuff i actualy worked pretty gud da tar was thick thou but it got the job done i jus ordered a dynamat liscence plate kit jus to show off i guess lo jk