PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump rewire mod

4g64terror
03-04-2003, 08:49 PM
has anyone out there done it? any tutorials on it anywhere? im intrested because im going turbo

JiP
03-04-2003, 10:29 PM
Been there done that.

Very easy mod. Tutorial is in the dsm faqs:

http://www.vfaq.com/FAQlocator-index.html ('http://www.vfaq.com/FAQlocator-index.html')

seth98esT
03-04-2003, 10:33 PM
yep, i used a tutorial from there also

Khopari
03-04-2003, 10:49 PM
yo seth what does this mod suppost to do,, and does it work on the 8G

JiP
03-04-2003, 10:58 PM
Probably works on the 8gs. Mitsu is notorious for shitty wiring, headlights, fuel pumps, grounds, power lines, etc.

Fuel pump at full throttle under load shows a pathetic 9v, whihc means its pumping like shit. The wiring is so bad, changes wire sizes, connectors, gets tapped, its horrible. The rewier just hooked the original power line to a relay which triggers a new thick gauge 16 or so wire that you'll run from battery to the pump. This will give you a solid 12-14v at all speeds and your pump will pump better, there are some turbo guys running only a rewired pump at 8psi, and not an upgraded higher flowing one. That should be proof enough that it makes a big difference.

4g64terror
03-04-2003, 11:17 PM
the only rewire mod i see on there is for a 1gawd...shouldnt i be lookin at one for a 2g?

JiP
03-04-2003, 11:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4g64terror)</div><div class='quotemain'>the only rewire mod i see on there is for a 1gawd...shouldnt i be lookin at one for a 2g?</div>

Its there...bottom one on the list "2g fwd".

phizz2k
03-05-2003, 01:07 PM
Yo this may be the cheap way of doing things but I was wondering if I could just run a 10 gauge wire of the 8 gauge wire runing to my amplifer in the trunk since there so close together. Then hook up the rest of the setup the way it describes in the tutorial.

Jesse
03-05-2003, 01:11 PM
That'll work. Any increased power is better then what it has. There may be different voltages when your subs are hitting some of the lower frequency notes, but I'm sure it's fine.

This mod is pretty easy. Just run 10 or 12 gauge wire to a relay right next to the fuel pump. Use the stock power wire to turn the relay on (think of it like a remote wire for your amp from the cd player to turn your amp on), then ground the pump with the same size you use for power.

SIMPLE AS THAT

IllestGalant
03-05-2003, 01:11 PM
you could, but the relay is still going to be there to make the thicker wire pointless. the wire is only as good as its weakest link. the relay, make sure you buy a good one,

JiP
03-05-2003, 04:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IllestGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>you could, but the relay is still going to be there to make the thicker wire pointless. the wire is only as good as its weakest link. the relay, make sure you buy a good one,</div>

A relay is nothing more then an electric switch. Good or bad doesnt matter, the relay terminals for automotive relays are rated at 25+amps so it doesnt matter. Your fuel pump isnt gonna pull anywheres near that much power. The dinky mitsu line will trigger the relay to close the contact connecting the 10guage wire to the other 10gauge wire that goes to the fuel pump, the relay contacts are flat copper usually equal to around 4-10 gauge anyway so its all the same shit.

4g64terror
03-05-2003, 07:14 PM
cool cool thanks

4g64terror
03-05-2003, 08:20 PM
qestions guys,,i just checked out the 2g wire mod on vfaq...okay correct me if im wrong but they dont make any sense on there..okay u run 10 guage wire from the battery to the relay right??the wire going into the relay from the battery is 10 guage..but heres where its screwy, from the other side of the relay to the pump all they did was cut the factory wire and put a blade connector on it..so the power goes form a 10 guage wire into the relay and right back down to the factory size coming out of the relay....now using a weakest link theory whats the point in running 10 guage and then it going right back down into factory size wire? how could this increase voltage?

JiP
03-05-2003, 10:40 PM
You kinda have no choice but to have the small line on the fuel pump harness, however, electricaly speaking, the wire can handle the current your going to be feeding it. The only reason the stock wiring sucks is because the wire of that guage beeing run a long distance will not be able to hold the current, for the rewire only about 2" of that wire is used thats no big shit.

Btw if you really wanna see I had a friend sit in the back with a voltmeter back probing the fuel pump stock setup while I drove...cruising speed half throtle to full throttle measures 9v, unless you released the pedle and floor it again real fast you got a 30second 12-14v spike.

Now after the rewire...constant 12-14v no matter what throttle or conditions.

4g64terror
03-06-2003, 08:27 AM
cool cool i get it now..guess i better get crackin on it before the turbo gets done

krazienluv10
03-13-2003, 03:59 PM
will this change volts use up more gas or will the car actually be more efficient with its gas??

IllestGalant
03-13-2003, 09:09 PM
i don't get it. I am getting battery voltage at the fuel pump. I haven't touched shit

JiP
03-13-2003, 09:12 PM
i don't get it. I am getting battery voltage at the fuel pump. I haven't touched shit

Did you have a friend reading the voltage while your driving at heavy throttle? Cause thats when the voltage drops. If you have bat voltage under those conditions your the first one that I've ever heard of.

IllestGalant
03-13-2003, 09:15 PM
yeah, my friends name is Fluke 87 III

JiP
03-13-2003, 09:21 PM
Maybe it depends what year, I got 97. I know alot of 2g eclipse guys that had low fp voltage, and another friend of mine with a 98 galant after I did my rewire we checked his and he also had low voltage.

I only found out about this because I was hitting a rev limit at 3k, but if I lift my foot off the gas and slammed it back down the car would push passed 3k for a few seconds and stop again, I would have to keep releasing and flooring the throttle. Someone suggested the FP rewire that I was probably losing fuel pressure.

By releasing the throttle it gave the system a chance buld up a lil more power so when I floored it again the fp had regular voltage for a few seconds. I verified this by having a friend with a voltmeter sit in the back while I drove and did the throttle play. After the rewire, problem cured.

At partial throttle I was reading like 9v.

4g64terror
03-13-2003, 09:36 PM
jip have u changed our fuel filter?..how many miles do u have??your pump may be starting to go out and upping the voltage made it tolerable again..i wonder what its flowing right now...a new fuel pump might nopt be a bad idea..especially if u plan on turbocharging it.

4g64terror
03-13-2003, 09:36 PM
thats jut so weird that it would just start doing it out of no where..

JiP
03-13-2003, 09:46 PM
thats jut so weird that it would just start doing it out of no where..

Agreed. And the other 15 or so people that I have talked to on groups who have measured very low voltage at their fuel pump and did the rewire didnt have the problem that I had. So I duno, but the rewire sure did fix the problem. I'll change the pump when my car stops running https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

When I go turbo (wont be for another year), I was planning on geting a walbro 190, but for now, I dont worry about it.

Im worried more about installing my DIS converter tomorow and my engine knocking a hole through itself from advanced timing : O well its in the name of science. lol

GalantSpeed
03-18-2003, 11:35 AM
will doing the rewire lower the gas mileage at all?

g96nt
03-21-2003, 05:11 PM
re-wire Does not increase fuel consumption

re-wiring.. you guys *MUST* be careful
some of you have the FCM.. (which is hidden under the dash)
this thing lowers voltage to the Fuel-pump when it's not needed, to lower the line-pressure and supposedly help emissions in some Way, by eliminating the amount Of use the EVAP canister gets.

the good news, is that it never drops too low to not switch the relay.. but your #'s obviously *WILL* vary From fed-spec voltage Readings.

jus read-through, and make sure you do the install CLEANLY.... no open connections, clean soldering, and well-wrapped joints..(some of this Will be exposed to the elements)

JiP
03-21-2003, 06:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g96nt)</div><div class='quotemain'>re-wire Does not increase fuel consumption

re-wiring.. you guys *MUST* be careful
some of you have the FCM.. (which is hidden under the dash)
this thing lowers voltage to the Fuel-pump when it's not needed, to lower the line-pressure and supposedly help emissions in some Way, by eliminating the amount Of use the EVAP canister gets.

the good news, is that it never drops too low to not switch the relay.. but your #'s obviously *WILL* vary From fed-spec voltage Readings.
</div>

I would guess that I have it cause illestglant said he reads full voltage all the time. I have a cali spec car (how i duno) and most of my friends have cali spec galants, (meanwhile we all bought them from dealerships in ny lol) We all read 9v or so around crusing speed at 50% throttle. Not any more though https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

seth98esT
03-21-2003, 06:34 PM
hmmmm well ive had mine re-wired for about 6months now. no problems at all. Not sure if mine is cali or fed spec....

JiP
03-21-2003, 07:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth)</div><div class='quotemain'>hmmmm well ive had mine re-wired for about 6months now. Â*no problems at all. Â*Not sure if mine is cali or fed spec....</div>

The rewire fixed some of my major problems. If you have 2 cats I think its a cali spec, cause I HAD 2 lol Or you could just look up your vin number in caps and it will tell you.

g96nt
03-21-2003, 08:24 PM
if your exhaust manifold is a 4 to 1 style, With an o2 sensor right after the end, and followed by a catalytic converter.. you have a cali Spec

I think like 35+ states follow cali-spec's these days..
including all of new england (maybe minus VT) NJ/NY/PA

anyways.. Re-wiring The pump = ful 12-14V ALL the Time

GalantSpeed
03-21-2003, 11:39 PM
so umm........will doing this reduce the gas mileage?

seth98esT
03-22-2003, 12:24 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g96nt)</div><div class='quotemain'>re-wire Does not increase fuel consumption</div>

GalantSpeed
03-22-2003, 12:25 AM
lol, damn i'm blind, thanks for pointing that out!

krazienluv10
04-08-2003, 02:25 AM
hey i had a question with the grounding on the relay, which ground is suppose to go on the ground coil relay??? is it the ground with the plug that i clipped, the new ground that i am suppose to make and bolt to the chassy or the original ground...

krazienluv10
04-08-2003, 02:29 AM
wait do i solder all 3 together??? if i do why is the picture of the ground wire clip for the stock fuel pump, cant i just not clip it and solder it in with it???

seth98esT
04-08-2003, 02:32 AM
ClickHere ('http://www.vfaq.com/FAQlocator-index.html')

krazienluv10
04-08-2003, 02:47 AM
sorry guys hehe its soo simple but im getting confused with all the wires, what does contact 87 plug into?? is it the blue wire from the white harness that is clipped or the other side of that blue wire... that was clipped... thanks

krazienluv10
04-08-2003, 02:48 AM
sorry i mean contact 86

JiP
04-08-2003, 11:48 AM
Its pretty much impossible not to understand how to wire it with the 40 pictures shown on the site and full explanation of every little anoying detail unless ur too lazy to read...so read it.

And for ground, as far as this car is concerned, ground is ground is ground. A wire, or any metal part of the car thats not painted or insulated are all ground.

seth98esT
04-08-2003, 11:56 AM
i connected my ground wire to the seatbelt bolt...not too far away, but it was a good ground. i groundedmy amp to the driverside rear seatbelt bolt and it proved to be a solid ground...

krazienluv10
04-08-2003, 01:20 PM
ic i couldnt really see the pics at my house kuz there was something wrong with my internet soo allthe pictures was blurry but thanks for the info

Tiptronic
04-08-2003, 06:31 PM
does someone want to come to chicago and do mine. after the TB mod, i'm not touching shit else. that took me like a month to get back the way it was.

JiP
04-08-2003, 07:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MITSU_I4)</div><div class='quotemain'>does someone want to come to chicago and do mine. Â*after the TB mod, i'm not touching shit else. Â*that took me like a month to get back the way it was.</div>

You guys make me laugh. :laughing:

Tiptronic
04-08-2003, 07:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MITSU_I4)</div><div class='quotemain'>does someone want to come to chicago and do mine. Â*after the TB mod, i'm not touching shit else. Â*that took me like a month to get back the way it was.</div>

You guys make me laugh. :laughing:</div>

i'm serious, all that hesitation when i went to brake, then i couldnt get the damn thing to idle right. man, i'm just no good at this stuff. i'll stick to the show aspect

krazienluv10
04-08-2003, 11:38 PM
haha i dont even wanna touch the tb mod, i rather pay someone or something... i use my car daily might shit in my pants if something goes wrong...