PDA

View Full Version : I have a few questions.....

MANIAC
04-20-2010, 03:56 PM
I have a 99 es 4 cylinder and when I put it in drive or reverse and press the gas it sputters really bad unless i take foot off the gas and press it again and then most the timeis stops but its only when i put it in gear and press the gas it does have 150k miles just got it so i think it needs alot of things done to it such throttle body cleaning plugs wires and packs which this is the first vehicle i have owned that has the core packs need to service tranny and do a radiator flush due to the water in it looks orange..
So it there any pictures or tuts on how to clean the throttle body what to use yada yada also changing the core packs i know these are basic to you guys but Ive been a owner of a 96 s10 for years and all these core packs and stuff are a little greek and when I do it myself I like to know what I am doing so I dontjack it up ?:)
Also I want to upgrade the cooling system whats the best radiator and the oil one as well sorry for the stupidity still learning this stuff lol. I just dont want to put alot of money into something that i could have gotten from somewere cheaper and a better product... and helpful info would be great but I mostly need help with that sputtering that it is doing thanks ahead of time

MANIAC
04-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Also is the royal purple oil really worth it or no also my car seems to run a ton better with high grade gas but when i put unleaded in it, it acts up alot more alot of my friends say us top grade gas and that the purple is the best to use want to know your thoughts

HungarianHunter
04-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Let me see if I can answer a few questions for you.

Note: I'm pretty novice with cars, I only know as much as these guys on here have helped me with, so make sure a veteran member double checks my info ;)

Alright, so throttle body. What I would do is go to a valvoline station, or similar, and buy a fuel injection system cleaner kit. This comes with throttle body cleaner, fuel line cleaner, and one other item that I cannot remember. I used one of these kits and all of my "sputtering" you're talking about went away.

To clean the throttle body you just pull off the plastic tubing that is connected to it and that runs to the air box, (filter for your intake), and spray the cleaning solution on the squeegy you get in the kit, and get all the carbon (black crap) off of the inside of the throttle body. Then, pour the fuel injector cleaner into your gas tank, then fill up. I wish I could remember the third item in that kit, I just know it's related.

I would replace the spark plugs, and ignition wires too, like you mentioned, and *possibly* get your transmittion flushed, although there is some contraversy as to whether or not this is a good idea at such high mileage. I got mine flushed at about 110k miles, and it has worked well ever since (I'm at 130k now).

Also, as you said, definitely change your oil. With such a high mileage vehicle you will want to use synthetic oil. Use 5w30 oil as well. Brand will vary based on preference, so get some opinions.

Well that's my 2 cents, guys please feel free to chime in and correct anything I may have said wrong :)

MANIAC
04-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanx for the info I sprayed some b12 on a rag and cleaned the throttle body and then ran somefuelinjection cleaner and filled upwith high grade gas and it is running better.. I went to autozone yesterday and the put it on the scanner for mesaid the ias failed and cylinder 2 misfire... So i know def the plugs need to be done the ias prob just needs to be cleaned since my engine compartment is nasty dirty....

Corey2kG
04-25-2010, 12:55 PM
it sounds like your coil packs might be shot.

RedGalant2k1
04-25-2010, 01:13 PM
it sounds like your coil packs might be shot.

Why do you keep giving advice on everything that you don't know for sure?

Coil packs won't cause a idle problem under braking or acceleration, at least not very likely. If the car only starts to sputter when under acceleration or braking the first thing to check is for a vacuum leak. Typically the Idle air control sensor is the first culprit.

He should pull a vacuum line and test for vacuum, make sure it is of correct pressure, and not leaking anywhere. THEN he can move to the Idle air control motor, then the plugs, wires, and coil packs.