PDA

View Full Version : Front end hum/vibration

anticon
04-27-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm sure there's dozens of similar threads, but I did search for a while and could still use some help.
At nearly any speed, I feel a moderate vibration through the gas pedal and an accompanying hum. It doesn't sound to me like it's coming from either side really or anything engine-related; just seems to come from the front center almost. I jacked up the front and tried to wiggle the wheels and there seems to be no play at all on either side. I spun the wheels and didn't notice any noise that seemed irregular to me. The CV boots are in tact - how can I tell if it might be my axles?
This seems to have started soon after I heard a strange sound like I had run over something and didn't see anything in the road behind me. There are no other drivability issues.
Any help is appreciated!

galant305
04-27-2010, 05:01 PM
if a v6 and you dropped, its normal, i ve been ldriving my G for more tha 6 years like that
and it feel bad, this one of the reason that i dont want to keep my G when i get another car.

anticon
04-27-2010, 05:35 PM
I also noticed today that the noise/vibe is present only while going straight or turning right. It is absent during even slight left turns. I also swapped to a different set of wheels so it is not wheel or tire related.

M-Rod
04-27-2010, 07:22 PM
I used to think the same thing about my car. Thought it was normal, just because it was droppped, etc.

A few months ago when I ditched my auto trans and went 5-speed, I replaced the front hub assemblies and my vibration issue was solved. Depending on the age and how many miles your car has, it may not be a bad idea to replace them.

anticon
04-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I will just try replacing those as I already have one sitting in my garage so it couldn't hurt. Im at about 102k miles and to the best of my knowledge they've never been replaced.