PDA

View Full Version : Misfire issues, help?

Grandpa1
05-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Hey guys, new member here, hope im in the right area;) i own a 1999 Galant 2.4L base model. The problem is it feels like a slight misfire at idle. The engine also seems to rattle? Ive cleaned the throttle body, the timing belt and water pump were done right before i bought it, spark plugs and wires and coil boots, air filter, pcv valve, oil change, and seafoam in the gas tank. When i cleaned the throttle body a random misfire code popped up, pulled the neg. Cable and it hasnt come back. It only has these symptoms at idle and drives amazing. Anyone else have this problem? Ant ideas on a solution? And its an automatic. Any help is appreciated, thanks! Grandpa1

varroa
05-02-2010, 02:58 AM
so no hesitation on acceleration or going up a steep hill? nothing under load?

if not - then it's not misfire but something with the vacuum or the IAC, i think. does it do any of the "misfiring" in the "D" or just simple neutral?

the "rattling" is pretty normal for 4g64, in my experience.

if it does that under load (i.e. hard acceleration or up a hill), then try to make it sputter and hesitate until it the "check engine" light comes on, then you'll know the exact malfunction.

Isaurio
05-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Any check engine lights on? Some bad sensor could make cylinders to miss fire. Check vacuum lines for any air leaks. Also check MAF sensor connection and clean it up with MAF cleaner. Check throttle body position sensor too.