View Full Version : 4G64 to 6G74 Swap

Rach3T8G
05-04-2010, 10:31 PM
so i have the 2.4L & im picking up the diamante 3.5L engine on thursday..i was just wondering is there any1 here that has went from the 2.4 to the 3.5? b/c im not sure if all the harnesses are the same & will i need a new ecu or can i keep mine?

03-Galant-ES
05-04-2010, 10:33 PM
You need a new front clip basically. If you searched you would know that the mounts arent the same and it would be more worthwhile to sell your g buy a 6g72 g and swap in the 6g74

beam514
05-04-2010, 10:35 PM
It's going to take a lot to put the 3.5L in your car. Your ECU is made to run 4 cylinders, not 6, so you're going to need the V6 ECU. There's quite a few modifications to swap from I4 to V6, and I don't personally know of anyone that has pulled it off. Everyone (including me) is going to tell you that the easier option is to sell your I4 and buy a V6. I have only known of one instance where a V6 was swapped to an I4 (vegasmatt) and I don't know the extensiveness of modifications required for that.

EDIT: oh and the transmission won't bolt up either, so you'll need the V6 transmission, axles, etc.

03-Galant-ES
05-04-2010, 10:36 PM
It's going to take a lot to put the 3.5L in your car. Your ECU is made to run 4 cylinders, not 6, so you're going to need the V6 ECU. There's quite a few modifications to swap from I4 to V6, and I don't personally know of anyone that has pulled it off. Everyone (including me) is going to tell you that the easier option is to sell your I4 and buy a V6. I have only known of one instance where a V6 was swapped to an I4 (vegasmatt) and I don't know the extensiveness of modifications required for that.

EDIT: oh and the transmission won't bolt up either, so you'll need the V6 transmission

vegasmatt has a little more money to play with then a few of us I believe and I think Cali helped him.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=28102&highlight=6g72+swap

That should answer your questions. Search before you purchase :)

Rach3T8G
05-04-2010, 10:40 PM
so its basically kind of impossible to do this swap w/o puttin a shit load of money into this project & i thought the trannys were the same btwn the I4 & V6

03-Galant-ES
05-04-2010, 10:41 PM
so its basically kind of impossible to do this swap w/o puttin a shit load of money into this project & i thought the trannys were the same btwn the I4 & V6

I wish, I would be 5spd by now.
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=30183&highlight=v6+swaphttp://

beam514
05-04-2010, 10:42 PM
No the I4 and V6 transmissions are very different from each other. If they were the same then a lot of V6 members here would have used I4 transmissions (which seem to be a lot easier to find.. or cheaper.. I think) for the 5 speed swap. But then again I guess you haven't been here that long so it would be hard to know that. But anyway, yes, if you really want to do this swap, the cheapest way would be to sell your car and swap all your mods over to another 8G, then perform the 6G74 into that 8G.

03-Galant-ES
05-04-2010, 10:47 PM
No the I4 and V6 transmissions are very different from each other. If they were the same then a lot of V6 members here would have used I4 transmissions (which seem to be a lot easier to find.. or cheaper.. I think) for the 5 speed swap. But then again I guess you haven't been here that long so it would be hard to know that. But anyway, yes, if you really want to do this swap, the cheapest way would be to sell your car and swap all your mods over to another 8G, then perform the 6G74 into that 8G.

Hmmm how expensive are 6g72 trannies? Im having issues with price on 4g64 :-P Wow off topic, but this question has been answered :)

beam514
05-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Hmmm how expensive are 6g72 trannies? Im having issues with price on 4g64 :-P Wow off topic, but this question has been answered :)

usually about $600 +. Some of the ones listed locally are even $1200

Rach3T8G
05-04-2010, 11:01 PM
wow guess ima stick to my 2.4L & continue moddin it b/c its alot 2 get another G with the V6 & then swap motors but thanks for the tips i really appreciate it

Galantfan88
05-04-2010, 11:06 PM
wow guess ima stick to my 2.4L & continue moddin it b/c its alot 2 get another G with the V6 & then swap motors but thanks for the tips i really appreciate it

Yeah deff stick with the 2.4l bc with out the money this project will never be accomplished. Why dont you look into an Evo swap and going 5 speed?

Rach3T8G
05-04-2010, 11:23 PM
i have looked into the evo swap & 5 speed but my only problem is i dnt know how 2 drive stick or where 2 find an evo engine for cheap

03-Galant-ES
05-04-2010, 11:25 PM
You can check evolutionm for engines also car-parts.com.

Stick is easy i stressed it my first time, but didnt stall first day.

Rach3T8G
05-04-2010, 11:28 PM
yea thats my biggest worry & im looking into it now

Galantfan88
05-04-2010, 11:30 PM
i have looked into the evo swap & 5 speed but my only problem is i dnt know how 2 drive stick or where 2 find an evo engine for cheap

Thats as much of what I can think of if your looking for a swap or if you wanna do an Evo 8 head swap thats cheaper than just buying the motor. As far with 5 speed, its alot of fun...not in traffic but other than that its not that hard to learn just takes alil bit of time and practice. If anything...if your not going to big power keep the auto tranny and do the DOCH head swap...or just keep the motor stock and use an Evo 8 turbo set up...you have many people on here like qnz, Goosey running turbo on stock motor kkicking more than 250 hp. And qnz has an auto tranny still. You just have to search and get as much info as you can about these builds ok

03-Galant-ES
05-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Thats as much of what I can think of if your looking for a swap or if you wanna do an Evo 8 head swap thats cheaper than just buying the motor. As far with 5 speed, its alot of fun...not in traffic but other than that its not that hard to learn just takes alil bit of time and practice. If anything...if your not going to big power keep the auto tranny and do the DOCH head swap...or just keep the motor stock and use an Evo 8 turbo set up...you have many people on here like qnz, Goosey running turbo on stock motor kkicking more than 250 hp. And qnz has an auto tranny still. You just have to search and get as much info as you can about these builds ok

Im on my way to stock evo 8 turbo set up :)

evom is where you want to go for \stock turbo parts.

Boosted
05-05-2010, 10:06 AM

Look into the DOHC head swap and the 5 speed swap. Or you can follow Cali or Stewi and swap in an Evo motor. There is still alot that can be done with your car and alot of power can be built with that 4G64.

Galantfan88
05-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Im on my way to stock evo 8 turbo set up :)

evom is where you want to go for \stock turbo parts.

That would be really hot on your car, when you ganna get it started buddddyy???