PDA

View Full Version : Car makes VERY weird noises....help me out

HiperSilver
03-05-2003, 05:37 PM
Everytiem when i drive my car and sometimes when i hit the brakes it makes a clunking sound, like Clunk Clunk stops, then 5 minutes later it will make that sound, It sounds like its comign fromt he engine bay or the rear. Also i will drive the car , put it in park, i will still hear the sound, CLUNK. Pop the hood and i listen and i cant hear it. I have no clue what this is. Tell me the possibilities. could it be the suspension? i dont think its the brakes because i got them checked up and the fixed em up.

IllestGalant
03-05-2003, 10:25 PM
I had an intermittant clunk coming from the front end when stopping and
accelerating heavily. the cradle bolts were loose!!!

HiperSilver
03-06-2003, 05:54 PM
cradle bolts...sounds familiar
what are they?

IllestGalant
03-06-2003, 11:07 PM
if you look behind the wheels you will see that there are two arms. One goes straight across towards the engine and one curves back towards the rear of the car. Well the metal frame that the curved arm mounts too is the cradle. there are like
five bolts on each side.

bronxbombr
03-07-2003, 07:35 AM
yup, cradle https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

HiperSilver
03-08-2003, 12:06 AM
did it, nothing really all that lose, 2 bolts where snug but not tight, tightened them up, still makes the noise... one thing down. it seems to not be the brakes since that car can be in park and make that noise. Could it be the suspension? how should i check?

JiP
03-08-2003, 12:44 AM
If the noise occurs with your car in park i wouldnt think its ur suspension. Can you tell what side of the engine bay the sounds comming from? Maybe its a broken exhuast hanger that will rattle around while in park.

HiperSilver
03-09-2003, 12:04 AM
it sounds like its definatly coming from the left side, i cant tell if its in the front or rear. its one of those gay sounds that u cant quite determine. It will be in park ....one minute goes by...KNOCK...another minute...KNOCK...5 minutes...KNOCK, its pretty random. i wonder how i coudl check this out

IllestGalant
03-09-2003, 12:08 AM
whoa, wait a second, you don't hear the noise when you are driving. If you only hear it when your idiling and your not even moving, then it has nothing to do with the suspension

JiP
03-09-2003, 12:25 AM
Its defintly not suspension related.. Left side could be anything depending where your facing....is it Drivers side or Passenger side. I would spend some time with the car idling and wait close to the car listening rel hard to see if its coming from engine compartment or the rear. Somehow I doubt its comming from the rear unless it is a loose exhaust hanger so inspect them.

HiperSilver
03-10-2003, 06:46 PM
its comign from the frotn left side. no clue what it could be :-/

JiP
03-10-2003, 06:55 PM
What side is left??!! DRIVER or PASSENGER!

Maybe a loose or cracked engine mount.

HiperSilver
03-11-2003, 05:53 PM
coming from the drivers side front area, sorry i didnt clarify

how can i check for cracked mounts? just look and see if its cracked i guess, what else coudl it be.

IllestGalant
03-11-2003, 09:11 PM
if the car is in park and you hear the noise, then it has nothing to due with any moving parts except the motor and the torque converter in the tranny. it isn't engine mounts, they don't knock when you idle. you may have some engine knocking or a blown torque converter. Is it cold when you hear the knock. could also be a blown bearing in pulleys, e.g. alternator bearing, compressor, power steering, with intermittant clunk

HiperSilver
03-12-2003, 06:32 PM
thanks for the suggestions, im gonna look for all those thigns this weekedn