PDA

View Full Version : I'm in desperate need of some help...

Chaps
05-06-2010, 07:26 PM
So on 4/26/10, my tabs expired
4/27/10 I went to emissions, and failed. Code #P0421
5/6/10 I go to Firestone, a certified emissions shop, to get a diagnostic done.
My rear catalytic converter is toast. I spend $168.33 on diagnostics to get a waver for 1 year to get my tabs.
I go back to emissions testing and I fail again, which was expected. I show them my receipt for the minimum $150 spent on emissions diagnostic/repair. They pop my hood, and immediately refuse to give me a waver...
Why? Because I have an Aftermarket intake system (Injen). WTF right?

So I'm kind of posting this as a hail mary. If you guys didn't know, I lost my job not too long ago and I'm at a part time job that pays minimum wage and only gives me 9 hours a week. I'm in no position to spend this kind of money to get this fixed or get the parts I need to replace.

If there is any one out there that feels it in their heart that they can help me with an OEM intake/filter box, and a rear catalytic converter, you have no idea how much you'd be helping me.

Thanks,
Justin

Reelax
05-06-2010, 07:32 PM
does your intake have CARB EO#

Conjee
05-06-2010, 07:36 PM
For the Cat, you could buy some $5 spark-plug non-fouler, use a 1/2 bit and drill one of it out and put it on your oxygen sensor to shut off the light. For the Injen Intake, you can install your stock intake then after you pass, you can reinstall the intake. Or goto a different shop. I had the same problem as you, cat is bad and have air intake, I had a cool mechanic, passed no problem.

Chaps
05-06-2010, 07:37 PM
i have no idea what that is... the injen intake was on the car when i bought it, so idk what's on there or what's not

Chaps
05-06-2010, 07:38 PM
For the Cat, you could buy some $5 spark-plug non-fouler and put it on your oxygen sensor to shut off the light. For the Injen Intake, you can install your stock intake then after you pass, you can reinstall the intake. Or goto a different mechanic.

yeah that's the problem, i don't have oem intake, i bought the car with the injen installed already

Reelax
05-06-2010, 07:45 PM
i have no idea what that is... the injen intake was on the car when i bought it, so idk what's on there or what's not

CARB EO# = California Air Resource Board Exemption Order #. basically, California has the toughest anti-smog laws/restrictions, and if it is legal in california it is legal in all states. look on your intake, there should be a sticker stating the CARB EO#. if it has this sticker, and the number matches your car model, the intake is exempt and thus legal. usually both INJEN and AEM have these certifications, the cheaper intakes do not.

RedGalant2k1
05-06-2010, 07:46 PM
CARB EO# = California Air Resource Board Exemption Order #. basically, California has the toughest anti-smog laws/restrictions, and if it is legal in california it is legal in all states. look on your intake, there should be a sticker stating the CARB EO#. if it has this sticker, and the number matches your car model, the intake is exempt and thus legal. usually both INJEN and AEM have these certifications, the cheaper intakes do not.

Another reason to buy AEM and Injen over cheap intake kits.

qnz
05-06-2010, 07:49 PM
the Injen should be carb legal. There should be a sticker on the Injen that says it carb legal. And why did it cost your $150 to get the diagnostic code from firestone. Thats usually free in most places

Chaps
05-06-2010, 07:58 PM
the emissions rules in the state of WA say that if i fail i need to spend at least $150 at an emissions certified shop. and the bitch that popped my hood said that anything aftermarket, legal or not, she will not give me a waver.

Conjee
05-06-2010, 08:08 PM
That's absurd. You should find another shop...

Boosted
05-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Yes really, most people don't pay attention to aftermarket parts such as CAI, headers, etc. You should have went to Autozone and they would have ran a free diagnostic for you.

varroa
05-07-2010, 12:07 AM
yo chaps. so i lived in WA for two years, registered the car once and re-registered once, but never had to do any emissions tests... do you know something i don't?

Chaps
05-07-2010, 01:23 AM
yo chaps. so i lived in WA for two years, registered the car once and re-registered once, but never had to do any emissions tests... do you know something i don't?

Yeah I know something you don't, you're really lucky!