PDA

View Full Version : Axels CV joints or whatever you call them lol. help!!!

Corey2kG
05-07-2010, 09:29 PM
well heres the scoop i need driver side and passenger side axels i can get reman from autozone for $45 each without the core(my connection) was wondering if i could get them cheaper somewhere else...any suggestions? oh i got a v6

Cali
05-08-2010, 01:39 AM
that's actually pretty cheap...why are you having to replace them? it's not just because of ripped boots is it?

Stewi
05-08-2010, 08:24 AM
off topic....great avatar you jackass!!! LOL

Corey2kG
05-08-2010, 11:54 AM
that's actually pretty cheap...why are you having to replace them? it's not just because of ripped boots is it?

yeah the driver side just went a couple weeks ago i had the crazy vibration when i dropped it and now that its back up i still have the vibration and now i have vibration on hard accel. and one of them is making noise on decel. when i press the gas or brake the noise goes away. so i gotta replace them. but the problem is both axels are frozen in both hubs so im gonna have to replace those as well.

Cali
05-08-2010, 01:02 PM
yeah the driver side just went a couple weeks ago i had the crazy vibration when i dropped it and now that its back up i still have the vibration and now i have vibration on hard accel. and one of them is making noise on decel. when i press the gas or brake the noise goes away. so i gotta replace them. but the problem is both axels are frozen in both hubs so im gonna have to replace those as well.

use some PB blaster on the hubs and let it soak overnight...take a BFH to it in the morning...
if that doesnt work heat the hub with a torch.

off topic....great avatar you jackass!!! LOL

LOL thanks man.

beam514
05-08-2010, 01:29 PM
PB blaster or WD-40, then use a rubber mallet if necessary while pulling out on the hub assembly

Cali
05-08-2010, 02:05 PM
PB blaster or WD-40, then use a rubber mallet if necessary while pulling out on the hub assembly

a rubber mallet isn't gonna cut it; he already said they're frozen and he's replacing the axle anyways...BFH for the win.

M-Rod
05-08-2010, 02:33 PM
I had to take a torch and melt the axle out of the hub. Talk about a pain in the ass. Salty winter roads FTL.

Corey2kG
05-08-2010, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=Cali;589605]use some PB blaster on the hubs and let it soak overnight...take a BFH to it in the morning...
if that doesnt work heat the hub with a torch.

wouldnt that mess up the bearings?

Corey2kG
05-08-2010, 05:13 PM
oh trust i got a bfh in my shop lol about 10 lbs or 15. my whole thing is is that i dont wanna mess up the hub. that would $50 each hub. and its my dd and the only car i have so i gotta do it almost right away cant have it sit.

4g63lover
05-08-2010, 06:02 PM
How are your guys' axles freezing to the hub. My axles popped right out of the hub. Tha transmission side however, took a little bit off convincing to come out.

beam514
05-08-2010, 06:15 PM
How are your guys' axles freezing to the hub. My axles popped right out of the hub. Tha transmission side however, took a little bit off convincing to come out.

same here. But corey as long as you hit right on the head of the axle, and not at an angle, it should be fine. Basically what I'm saying is to ensure that you're not really applying any force except for in the direction of the axle.

Corey2kG
05-08-2010, 11:26 PM
i have no clue how orwhy they are frozen they are oe from 2000 they had a good run. i forgot why but a couple months ago i tried to take the driver side out for some reason and it would budge. i used that tool that you connect to the bolts of the hub i used an air hammer all but the bfh cuz i wasnt gonna replace it. the air hammer mushroomed the tip of the axel so i had to grind down the tip just to get the axel nut back on. honestly im not sure if the passenger is frozen. but when i dropped it the hubs hung for a bit while i was at the spring compresser and the axels came out from the inside and had to put them back in place. now question??? the passenger axel does that go all the way across the car? like ill try and draw it with the keys lol. starting from the outside(the cv joint) ok the cv joint,shaft,the end ---0------0----(<the passenger side) now the third set of lines is what im referring to im sorry but its hard to explain. if you know what im talking about a little help lol.

and mind you i live in new england which as the shittyest unpredictable weather lol.

02redgalant
05-08-2010, 11:31 PM
careful you dont bfh it too much...you can flatten the ends making it next to impossible to get out...i had this happen to me..heating it like call said or using a puller you can rent at auto zone

the passenger cv is longer then driver...seems like you have a V6 it also has a bracket that holds the axel....since your swapping cv's if your gonna drop anytime soon do the lowering washer mod while your there

edit:just noticed that happened to you before lol good luck man..

Corey2kG
05-09-2010, 12:03 AM
careful you dont bfh it too much...you can flatten the ends making it next to impossible to get out...i had this happen to me..heating it like call said or using a puller you can rent at auto zone

the passenger cv is longer then driver...seems like you have a V6 it also has a bracket that holds the axel....since your swapping cv's if your gonna drop anytime soon do the lowering washer mod while your there

edit:just noticed that happened to you before lol good luck man..

i saw that thread on galanttuner my instrutor said i could use an axle washer to do that is that possible im not really sure how to do that.

Corey2kG
05-09-2010, 12:04 AM
and i used a puller and it didnt budge.

Corey2kG
05-09-2010, 12:05 AM
and yes i have a v6 glad you could understand my illustration lol

02redgalant
05-09-2010, 01:01 AM
it sucks...when it happened to me i bfh'd all day,broke a puller,heated it,pb blasted it and nothin right when i was i about to call a quits and take out the knuckle i gave it one big ass good wack with a sledge and it broke free but i had to dremel the flattened end to get it out..it was pretty gay....if you look in the FSM you can find a clear breakdown what bolts and torque..

Corey2kG
05-09-2010, 12:28 PM
it sucks...when it happened to me i bfh'd all day,broke a puller,heated it,pb blasted it and nothin right when i was i about to call a quits and take out the knuckle i gave it one big ass good wack with a sledge and it broke free but i had to dremel the flattened end to get it out..it was pretty gay....if you look in the FSM you can find a clear breakdown what bolts and torque..

Likin the new sig lol! I'm just thinking to get new hubs and axels and find the washer to fit between and bolting them up. my hubs are OE anyway. So they might go bad soon. Anyways I have a crazy rotational on the driver side as of 3 days ago, and it only goes away when i press the gas and the brake. What you guys think it could be?