PDA

View Full Version : For those who have done the 5 speed swap..

Galantman03
05-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Ok Here is the deal, I did the five speed swap over the past weekend, everything went pretty smooth, i just took my time. I had to adjust the fork pivot ball mount to adjust so i could shift into 1st(i think thats normal way to adjust the throw). But here is my problem, i cannot shift into reverse at all when the car is on. when the car is off, it shifts through all the gears no problem, so that means its not in the linkage right? I checked all the linkage, nothing is binding and everything centers out to nuetral. I did have the bell housing replaced, and the guys at that transmission shop said everything checked out good. I can't even force it into reverse when the car is running, I got it half way into reverse, and the whole tranny made like a high amp draw sound, if anyone knows what the means, but i took it out of reverse and put it into first and the sound went away... So anybody have any suggestions? Do i need to adjust the fork pivot out more, so that it well engage reverse? idk i'm at a lost. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Stewi
05-11-2010, 10:45 PM
The pivot ball has nothing to do with reverse engaging. It has to do with the clutch disengaging, and since you can go into 1st gear fine, the pivot ball adjustment is fine. It sounds like a problem with the reverse gear itself or the lockout. There is a lockout that prevents you from accidentally going from 5th into reverse, it could be stuck causing you to not be able to get into reverse, or the gear itself for reverse could be damaged or not be shimmed right for proper engagement. Either way its a problem inside the trans. There is a tutorial on club3g that explains how to take the trans apart and im pretty sure the reverse idler (i think thats what its called) can be removed with the trans in the car, you have to remove that black access plate under the front of the tranny and then remove a few of those bolts/pins on the top. Go on club3g and look for LSD install instructions and you will see it. It might be best to check that out first prior to taking the whole tranny out.

Galantman03
05-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks stewi, I'll give that a shot, hopefully this will fix it ha ha... So i reviewed the instructions and... all i have to do is drain the oil, and remove the acces plate, and then the reverse idler bolt, and the reverse idler is out? check it make sure its not damaged, and then where do i go from there, i mean how would i tell if its shimmed right? Once again, thanks stewi http://www.club3g.com/forum/performance/55880-how-quaife-lsd-install-instructions-pics-included.html

Cali
05-13-2010, 02:14 AM
so the problem is JUST reverse or is first somewhat difficult too?

Galantman03
05-13-2010, 07:35 AM
It was a little difficult at first to shift into all the gears, but I adjusted the throw, the pivot ball, so its easy now, but reverse is still impossible to get into at all. It just doesn't want to go in. At all lol

4g63lover
05-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Sounds like it might be the reverse lockout as Stewi suggested. Make sure the cables arent binding at all either. Also, you can adjust the shift lever on the trans if you need to.

Galantman03
05-13-2010, 07:15 PM
^Where on the trans can I adjust the shift lever? I looked for something, and all i saw, well it looked like a little pin, while i was looking for a set srew...

4g63lover
05-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Go to the Club3G link you provided, one of his pictures shows the shift select lever and where you can adjust it.

Galantman03
05-13-2010, 08:09 PM
you think adjusting that would stop the clunking?

4g63lover
05-13-2010, 10:06 PM
what clunking?

Galantman03
05-14-2010, 10:28 AM
the back and forth motion, from 1st to 2nd, 3rd to 4th, its very clunky sounding, almost like the shifter throw is to much on the tranny shift arms...

Galantman03
05-14-2010, 04:57 PM
alright so reverse works now... but i gotta quick question, the fridaza clutch came with a TOB, is that equivelent to the stock TOB? I have to shove the pedal all the way to the ground, to shift, when in reality i shouldn't have to... thanks guys

Stewi
05-14-2010, 06:03 PM
alright so reverse works now... but i gotta quick question, the fridaza clutch came with a TOB, is that equivelent to the stock TOB? I have to shove the pedal all the way to the ground, to shift, when in reality i shouldn't have to... thanks guys

im not sure if fidanza uses OEM TOB's, I know ACT uses OEM in their kits. You may just need to adjust the clutch master cylinder rod and extend it out a bit to allow for some more throw. You also might have a little air left in the line, It took me nearly 35 minutes to bleed my line so it was air free.

Galantman03
05-14-2010, 10:59 PM
well the master cylinder rod is all the way out, and the fork pivot ball is about 1/4 out... i bleed the system twice... the only thing i can think of its the TOB if is not as thick as the OEM one.. so i'm going to check it tomorrow..... i did drive it, and wow, it gets up and goes now lol but idk how fast i was going... no speedo :(

Stewi
05-15-2010, 12:48 AM
well the master cylinder rod is all the way out, and the fork pivot ball is about 1/4 out... i bleed the system twice... the only thing i can think of its the TOB if is not as thick as the OEM one.. so i'm going to check it tomorrow..... i did drive it, and wow, it gets up and goes now lol but idk how fast i was going... no speedo :(

is your master cylinder and slave cylinder new? another thing you can try is this extended slave rod, its only a few mm's longer than the stocker, but it might do the trick... and its only $15 so if it doesnt work, you didnt break the bank

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=17386&cat=691&page=1

Galantman03
05-15-2010, 11:41 PM
yep everything is brand new except the tranny... and today i actually made my own slave rod, and now it works great.... my next question is.... the shifter cable mount on the tranny.. and the two "C" shaped mounts that slide on to the cable it self, anyone have a part number? I think that is what is causing this hard to go into first gear problem... i took off the side to side cable, the one that allows you to go to 1st 3rd and 5th, off of the tranny pin, and the shifter centers out, but the pin is about 1/8 to 3/16 off of the hole on the cable to the drivers side... So moving the shifter into first gear selction, im actually trying to push the side to side arm, farther than it can physically go, i think lol, hopefully this makes sense...
EDIT: the TOB that came with the clutch kit by fridanza is OEM equivelent, meaning the thickness is the same, but it just has a shorter coller that rides on the input shaft of the tranny...