PDA

View Full Version : radiator problems

ericbla03
05-15-2010, 03:05 PM
After running my car for about 10 minutes my radiator starts smoking. but my temperature gauge does not indicate overheating at all. the fans do not turn on unless i turn the a/c on, then they will turn on and off intermittently.

this started happening after i replaced a leaking coolant hose. A friend suggested that when i replaced the hose, i allowed an air pocket to enter the system, and that was causing the problem. So i took the cap off the radiator and ran the car for about 20 minutes, the radiator burped up a few small bubbles, but nothing too significant. and the radiator is still smoking.

Anybody have any suggestions?

RedLine DOHC
05-15-2010, 06:50 PM
is the rad leaking?

ShiZnitH
05-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Do the water have a good flow? If not the hot water will gather up in the radiator and just overheat.

ericbla03
05-16-2010, 07:22 AM
no, there are no leaks at all.

how would i go about increasing the flow of the coolant??

pinoyesv6
05-16-2010, 12:51 PM
seeing that the radiator is what cools the coolant, if the radiator is overheating, so would the car.

where is the radiator smoking from?

02redgalant
05-16-2010, 01:13 PM
I would say drive the car around...when i installed the past 2 radiators both smoked on first startup...as long as the car isn't overheating it'll disappear after good drive..

Corey2kG
05-16-2010, 01:42 PM
You could of spilled coolant somewhere and its burning off.

ericbla03
05-16-2010, 08:12 PM
seeing that the radiator is what cools the coolant, if the radiator is overheating, so would the car.

where is the radiator smoking from?

The temperature gauge does not indicate that the car is overheating at all. The radiator is smoking from the main body of the entire radiator (the fins) its not smoking from any specific part, its the entire radiator that is smoking.

I would say drive the car around...when i installed the past 2 radiators both smoked on first startup...as long as the car isn't overheating it'll disappear after good drive..

I have driven the car short distances 3 times since the problem has arised, and this keeps happening, im afraid to drive it too long like this because i dont want something to get seriously damaged.

You could of spilled coolant somewhere and its burning off.

i dont think this is the case because its the entire radiator that is smoking, and it doesnt really smell like burnt coolant.

LatinoX20
05-16-2010, 08:18 PM
it could be a bad radiator cap... low pressure = low boiling point, so it might be it

polishmafia
05-16-2010, 08:34 PM
When you ran the car for 20 minutes with the radiator cap off, did you turn the heat on full and allow the theromstat to open?

johnygezony
05-16-2010, 10:16 PM
When you ran the car for 20 minutes with the radiator cap off, did you turn the heat on full and allow the theromstat to open?

To add to that have you ever replaced your Thermostat ?

ericbla03
05-17-2010, 02:06 PM

no, i did not, i will try that.

To add to that have you ever replaced your Thermostat ?

no, i havent.

ericbla03
05-17-2010, 07:58 PM
ok so i just ran it for about 20 minutes with the heat on full blast. And i pulled the throttle several times and a few bubbles came out of the radiator , but it was still smoking like crazy towards the end. The fans never came on...

any other suggestions before i limp it over to the mechanic...

Dominicano
05-17-2010, 11:05 PM
so its smoking from the fins themselves? i had a slight crack on top of the radiator and it only started smoking after the pressure kicked in with the heat and it was not leaking after that. could be that in the fins themself there is a slight crack somewhere