PDA

View Full Version : Engine performance based on oil volume

galantebeige
05-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Here's an intriguing observation:

I was driving my G for a time of 3+ months with the engine level just above the minimum (on the oil dipstick).

As usual, we people get accustomed to things. So the car felt such a way as it was set and it was OK.

One day, when I had some time (and remembered) I decided to add more oil, thinking that it would be a good idea to have some more for safety. So it went up and almost 2mm below the maximum line in the dipstick.

But then, after driving my car after I did this I could swear I noticed that the engine felt a bit more sluggish/heavy/tired/slower ...whatever word you like to describe.

So, before it seemed more zippy/light/brisk/snappy or what have you.

Now, I don't think the difference was great (could have been), like night and day kind-of-thing but probably more subtle, and something, say the average driver out there, would never notice. Just the guys like us LOL.

Anybody experienced this?

varroa
05-22-2010, 05:53 PM
not me.

it's probably in your head, unless you put in a wrong oil or actually overfilled it.

03-Galant-ES
05-22-2010, 06:41 PM
As long as you didnt put like 75-90 gear oil in there I dont see why it would have this effect. I have been running synthetic 10w30 and my car is never too low or high so I dont know if it would have this affect, but neither of my other cars had issues like this and one of them burned and leaked oil everywhere but still ran at 206k same with low and filled oil <3 Mitsus :)

Frankv
05-23-2010, 02:57 PM
I too have thought about perfomance gains when it came to adding so much oil compared to the norm. For the most part, all i notice is the noise level of the engine inside the cab when its filled @ the min line When full, the engine runs quieter, but i may be trippen. Also the type of oil can affect this aswell. I use royal purple and notice the diff immediately. So thats why i choose to spend $50 for an oil chnge.

polishmafia
05-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Theres a reason why engineers decided to use a certain amount of oil in an engine. Its not like they said "ah screw it, 4.5 quarts should be ok".