PDA

View Full Version : O2 Sensor

89bri
05-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Alright...changing the post up because I don't want to make a new one and clutter the boards....so a simple edit is needed.

First...I drive a 2002 ES V6

The car won't start. I was just browsing posts to find something relevant to what I need and I read something that I didn't think was relevant when the car died but now I see that it might be. When the car died the RPM's stayed the same until I put it in neutral to try to get it to start up as I was rolling across a bridge...when it went into neutral the RPM's went down immediately. Now my husband and father checked the timing belt and saw that it was rotating when we tried to crank it but that was all. I'm not sure if it is cranking faster or not just because it never cranked long enough before for me to actually pay attention. My husband is out taking a closer look at it now since I told him about the RPM's...I just didn't think it was relevant before.

What's Been Checked/Replaced:
-Distributor Cap/Rotor - Replaced
-Battery - Replaced
-Corrosion off battery terminals - Removed
-No Spark to the spark plugs
-Fuel Pump - Checked/Fine

Need some help here people...I just don't know what to do but I need to get this car running again soon because I hate riding around in my husbands eclipse and I hate not being able to drive myself or my daughter anywhere

varroa
05-25-2010, 12:33 AM
I'm to fucking hot to even go get it
do you mean like you are a girl that's too hot, or the weather is extremely warm where you at?

there should be no more than 2 oxygen sensors on an 8g galant.

and the code should tell you exactly which one it is.

EDIT: i re-read the post, and want to point out that it was not in my intentions to hit on this person (you never know if someone is a woman or a gay dude, by them mentioning "my husband").

Reelax
05-25-2010, 04:09 AM
do you mean like you are a girl that's too hot, or the weather is extremely warm where you at?

EDIT: i re-read the post, and want to point out that it was not in my intentions to hit on this person (you never know if someone is a woman or a gay dude, by them mentioning "my husband").

the cali spec V6 (all '02+ V6's are cali spec) has at least 4. do u know the code? the code will tell you which one is bad.

varroa
05-25-2010, 04:02 PM
you're right, i meant to say that 4g64 has no more than 2 catalytic converters.

89bri
06-01-2010, 10:50 PM

first reading that made me about piss myself...It was just really freaking hot here that day

the cali spec V6 (all '02+ V6's are cali spec) has at least 4. do u know the code? the code will tell you which one is bad.

I have no idea what the code was but we have bigger problems...the Galant isn't running...no idea why...was driving through town and it just died as I was going across a bridge...thank god I was almost all the way across and could make it to the fire station to park it....everything we've been checking but it just won't start...it will try but it just doesn't start...we are trying to get ahold of the family mechanic and have him check it out but no word from him yet...i just don't know what to do and I miss my baby running...she's a beast when she's runnin:orangesighw:

03-Galant-ES
06-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Bri, when you crank it does it try to start over? Is the starter cranking.

We need a bit more info to help diagnose whats wrong. When you can get the code from the o2 sensor as well please :)

89bri
06-01-2010, 10:58 PM
the starters cranking...fuel pump is fine...timing belts fine....the plugs aren't firing though but we just changed them and the wires a couple weeks ago or whenever....as far as my husband can tell the coil pack is fine

03-Galant-ES
06-01-2010, 11:04 PM
the starters cranking...fuel pump is fine...timing belts fine....the plugs aren't firing though but we just changed them and the wires a couple weeks ago or whenever....as far as my husband can tell the coil pack is fine

cap and rotor possibly if the coil packs are fine, since the car was firing for the past 2 weeks and running fine and I drove for months with bad o2 sensor I would imagine its ignition, so check cap and rotor.

89bri
06-02-2010, 04:31 PM
cap and rotor possibly if the coil packs are fine, since the car was firing for the past 2 weeks and running fine and I drove for months with bad o2 sensor I would imagine its ignition, so check cap and rotor.

not the cap/rotor...just changed them and still nothing

89bri
06-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Alright...my president from my race team came out with his OBD II to see if he could get anything...the car isn't throwing any codes at all...so he's thinking that it just might be the timing on the rotor we just put on...he thinks that it might have shifted out of place and that's why it died and then we put it in there the same way it came out....so now I need to know how would if fix that??? lol...god lets hope this is it

03-Galant-ES
06-02-2010, 06:06 PM
I am not sure the timing on the rotor, but I do hope that is it.

Anyone have the order before I go nuts looking for it?

89bri
06-02-2010, 06:15 PM
I am not sure the timing on the rotor, but I do hope that is it.

Anyone have the order before I go nuts looking for it?

what order? lol

I updated the OP for some more information for everyone

89bri
06-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Alright...the husband just finished checking the timing belt(w/o taking it off) and he said its pretty loose....he said he can move it back and forth and that when he pushes down on it that it gives away pretty easy. He said the teeth that he could feel felt fine.

So would we just have to replace the belt then?

89bri
06-02-2010, 06:23 PM
my husband was able to try to turn one of the pulley things that holds the timing belt but when he did it tightened up my timing belt...first is it supposed to do that and second...is that a good thing or bad thing that he did that

M-Rod
06-02-2010, 08:35 PM
The rotor only fits properly one way. It may be the actual distributor itself if you're not getting spark. Also, check to make sure the wiring pigtail is plugged into it.

As far as the timing belt goes, if he doesn't know what is good and bad, he probably shouldn't be touching it. Yes, one of the pulleys is for tension, but there is also a hydraulic tensioner that presses against the bracket the tensioner pulley is bolted to. If adjusted incorrectly, your auto-tensioner could be damaged.

89bri
06-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Just wanted to update...Friday we changed the distributor and it started right up...we messed with the idle yesterday because it wasn't set right so it kept killin' out...but now she runs like a sexy beast again....BUT she still needs an O2 sensor...which we are gettin' friday(payday)

M-Rod
06-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Glad to hear it's up and running again.

89bri
06-14-2010, 09:54 PM
lol...you and me both....I hated havin' to have my hubs drive me all over the place...it was irritating as hell