PDA

View Full Version : how important is cat #2?

oakrdrs187
05-24-2010, 10:36 PM
how important is cat #2 on a cali spec 2.4?

reason why i ask is because i dont see an o2 sensor after it, what would be the downside of chopping it and going with an exhaust from the 2nd o2 and back?

Reelax
05-24-2010, 11:24 PM
depends where you live. check your state laws.

oakrdrs187
05-25-2010, 12:53 AM
I live in So-Cal, if removed would the car throw a code? If any idea if it will still pass smog?
Just brainstorming here....kinda bored

Reelax
05-25-2010, 01:44 AM
I live in So-Cal, if removed would the car throw a code? If any idea if it will still pass smog?

so-cal? you realize that california is the toughest anti-smog state in the country right? that's why if it is legal in CA it is deemed 50 states legal. don't even think about deleting the main cat unless you have a hook up at a smog shop and can pay to pass smog. it used to cost me $400 to pass my car when i had a downpipe on w/ no cats. it will never pass legitimately w/o a main cat; they'll fail it during visual inspection before they even hook it up to the sniffer. you could possibly get away w/ a header and code eliminator/emulator and adding a high flow main cat, but w/o a main cat you will fail every time.

kalvinsaid
05-25-2010, 01:52 AM
i wish there was a "like" button like on facebook. but if you're tryna pass without a cat you can always pay a shady smogger. works 60% of the time all the time.

dronesurfboards
05-25-2010, 03:02 AM
Smog in California is gonna get worse...theyre gonna do away with sniffer test soon and check emissions through the ecu in the near future. They wanna eliminate any type of "Magic Smog" tests.

oakrdrs187
05-26-2010, 07:26 PM
which is the main cat? The one right off the manifold or the one under the center of the car?

and yea cali smog sucks balls...large ones too. I was think about getting a custom exhaust with no cats to run all year and then bolt on the shitty stock one when smog came around.

Reelax
05-26-2010, 07:33 PM
which is the main cat? The one right off the manifold or the one under the center of the car?

and yea cali smog sucks balls...large ones too. I was think about getting a custom exhaust with no cats to run all year and then bolt on the shitty stock one when smog came around.

the main cat is the one under the car, the precats are the ones off the manifolds.

i used to run this which deleted the pre-cats and replaced the main cat with a hi-flow main cat:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff8/ooreelaxoo/115-1513_IMG.jpg

it probably gave me a little HP up top but cost me when it was time to SMOG. i have since gone back to stock (still have cold air intake and full mandrel catback exhaust which both pass SMOG).

ezekiel.glnt
05-28-2010, 01:03 AM

where in so cal are you? if u need some help passing smog pm me.