PDA

View Full Version : Manual tranny mods?

Galanttuner
03-06-2003, 03:43 PM
Hi, I'm new here but not really new to cars. I have a 95 5spd S. I know that we share the same 'platform' as the spyders and the 2nd gen. eclipse, but I need to know if our trannies are the same or are alike. I have the b&m shortshifter for my car but that was for the galant, I want to know if the symbrosi kit (offered on rre and machv) can be used on my car.
I also need to know if the 2nd gen. eclipse flywheel, clutch, clutch disc, and shortshifters will work for my car as well? I want to beef up my transmission so that I can roast the tires easier and be able to have light to light power over the cars around here. Any other ideas besides getting a new flywheel, clutch,disc, and shortshifter??????

Thank you for any help and sorry if this post has been frequently seen. I looked in the archives and tried the search function but to no avail.

Kain
03-06-2003, 04:14 PM
How did that little playground ditty go..."Any thing they can use we can use better" 2g Eclipse parts. FWD turbo.

Galanttuner
03-06-2003, 10:21 PM
so everything from the 2nd generation eclipse will work on my galant without any modification needed?
Just to confirm....it has to be the 2nd gen. TURBO right?

Do you recommend changing anything else other than the clutch, flywheel, shortshifter????Do you think I would get noticable gains from these products??

Kain
03-07-2003, 08:33 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galanttuner)</div><div class='quotemain'>... everything from the 2nd generation eclipse will work on my galant without any modification needed?</div>

Umm, most parts will work. Every thing from a FWD turbo drivetrain will work, some of the engine/suspension parts won't though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Just to confirm....it has to be the 2nd gen. TURBO right?</div>

FWD turbo. some of the AWD dosen't work, and it's easier to just be sure and get FWD stuff.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Do you recommend changing anything else other than the clutch, flywheel, shortshifter????Do you think I would get noticable gains from these products??</div>

Without any engine mods? nah not really. Better launch maybe. Mod the engine (even just the basics) and you'll be able to enjoy the beefed up drivetrain.[/i]

Galanttuner
03-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Umm, most parts will work. Every thing from a FWD turbo drivetrain will work, some of the engine/suspension parts won't though.

Not to knock you or anything (cuz I don't know you)...but do you know this from experience or is it "relayed" information??? I know how online auto forums can be and there is a lot of people out there that just basically copy and paste what theyve read somewhere. I just want to be sure. Also, do you recommend upgrading anything else besides the clutch,disc, fly, and shifter??
Thanks.

Kain
03-16-2003, 04:47 PM
I don't have first hand experience, but I've done the research. I was going to put a 5 speed in the Galant but decided it was too much work for too little gain and never went any further. But CAPS says most of the P/Ns are the same. If you really want to go all out, you can start playing with gear ratios, making a frankenstein gearbox. But that's dicy water there. A couple of the Colt guys have mixed 1.5L Mirage transmissions with Eclipse trannys with good results, but for the Galant I don't know how that would work out.