PDA

View Full Version : slave cylinder help {quickly please}

Poison457
05-27-2010, 12:08 PM
so i took off my slave cylinder today to install the extended rod, upon taking it apart, there was black brake fluid that came out of the boot area, the stock push rod is coated with a black residue. Now my question is i've cleaned everything up the piston seal looks like it's in good condition it's not torn or anything and it won't go back into the slave without lubrication, so it's in pretty good condition.

My question is should i just replace the slave then replace the push rod, just replace the slave without puting in the new push rod and see if it works, or see if this one now it's cleaned up new like will work with the new push rod, i'm realy tight on funds right now so i just need push in one direction or the other.

eclipsh
05-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Black fluid usually means things are worn out. You can try putting it back together with the longer rod and see how it does since funds are tight. Be sure to check the master cylinder boot too and put fresh fluid in.

Stewi
05-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Just put it back together and see what happens. The black fluid/residue can also be caused by the thing sitting in a junkyard exposed to the elements for god knows how long. Clean it out the best you can, lub the piston, put it back together and see what happens.

Poison457
05-27-2010, 03:54 PM
ok well i cleaned it up all nice and shiny like, put it all back together bled the hell out of it, it's stiff as shit now almost no play at all, i adjusted the pedal back down to right around stock, and at the floor it was out of gear, just a smiggin up and it started to engage, so i backed the pedal out 2 turns, and now it's got about 1/4in of play at the bottom where you can feel the flex plate completely disengage is that about right?

Stewi
05-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Yeah and its a pressure plate : )

Set the release point to where your comfortable, me personally I like it to be closer to the floor, people with short legs might like it higher.