PDA

View Full Version : Please help newbie who want a nice ride........(Coil overs)

uhupong
03-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Hi
I am newbie who don't know much about car. This is my story. I installed 17" rims for my 2001 es v4 galant just to have a good appearance. I notice that the car got higher in the fronts but the rears look fine to me. Everytime I ride my car , it's very bouncy and almost everyone riding my car have car sick. I did some search on this website ( This is a really good site for galant owner) and found out the way to fix this problem. I learned that some one recommend to install coil overs or install performance springs + shock. My question is

1. What is coil overs and how it work ?
2. The spring that come with coil overs , What does it do?
3. Do I always need new shocks instead of using stock shocks if install coil overs / springs ?
4. I am not a racing type of guy, all I need is a nice ride that not give my passengers a car sick.
5. Can coil overs and performance spring + shock install together ?
6. I have budget about $500, What is best for me ?
7. How much it usually cost for each of them (coil overs, shock , springs) and how can I get them since they are not really easy to find for galant.

thank you everyone for your help.......

ChromeGalant
03-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Well

Welcome to the board.. to answer your questions..many of which have been answered many time over....

Click on the SEARCH button (above) Im sure you will find what you are looking for..

Xavier22
03-07-2003, 11:52 AM
1ST OFF, u - like my man t said - these questions are all on the board if you search::::::::::::

here's a lil' help:
1.coilovers allow you to adjust your ride height, but isn't really necessary unless u plan to go to shows, or got a body kit on - allows you to adjust anywhere from 0 to 4" - brands - ground controls$400; obx$200; dropzone or aerospeed on ebay-dont waste your money, or any coilovers less than $100
2.The springs are just springs liek if you were to get just springs, homie- :wink:
3.yes, u need aftermarket shocks and struts, because a soon as u drop the g-ride, they're gonna blow - agx's are the brands we members on this board go with - they cost bout $345 shipped from cox imports - all four either shocks or struts - note::::when they blow, your oem shocks n struts, then you're ride is really gonna be shit!!
4.get progress/eibach/tein/intrax springs - pick one!!! it'll lower nice, improve handling, but each drops differently!!!
5. either coiloverz or springz - your choice - !!! but yes u can install aftermarket AGX's shocks and struts to make the ride firmer and the AGX's will allow you to adjust your settings!!
6.PROGRESS springs $150 + AGX shocks or struts for all
four cornerz = $500 - your ride is now riding better - plus u gotta add installation charges, unless u install yourself w/ friends etc.!!
7.they range in price from progress or eibach springs from $150 up to the best coilover brand we got which is Ground Control $400!!! - we can use the same suspension parts from a 3g galant - 2000+ - if u got a 4-cyl, look fro 4-cyl, if you got 6, look for 6 - !!!

now search for the rest!!!

enjoy the board, homie

Danger DANJ
03-07-2003, 10:52 PM
If you say that you are not into racing and you want a comfortable ride, then do not lower the car too much. I would go with Eibach springs. As for shocks, you don't really need to spend alot on KYB AGX's unless you want to be able to adjust the stiffness. The KYB GR-2's are a cheaper alternative since you can't adjust them. You can even get away with keeping the stock shocks with the Eibach springs, but getting aftermarket shocks is recommended.