PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

jbragg10
06-04-2010, 11:05 AM
I have a 2000 Galant. When I first got it (new) ... I had the full works on it.
Then I took everything off.

After a few years of everything being off ... I am looking for some advice.
I would like to add some rims, but don't want to lower it (wife complains about bumpy) :)
1. Is it even worth buying rims if I can't lower it?
1a. If so ... what size would be good, so it doesn't look too bad (the front gap)?
2. Is there any other modifications I can make to help the style look of it? I want it to be sleek but not overboard. I don't want a body kit or anything like that (maybe a lip kit would look nice?).

I just need some advice from people who know more than me.
Thanks for your help.

Ruslik
06-04-2010, 01:21 PM
welcome to tgc
well first go on different websites like tirerack and see what wheels fit ur car and ur budget

endlessgwing
06-04-2010, 01:29 PM
i'm no expert, but here goes!

1. my 8g back home (left on my sig) is on 17x8 front and 17x9 back, stock ride height, looks a lot better than the 15", but sometimes when i look at it, it looks like it's on stilts because of the gap, lol, but still worth upgrading imo.
2. go jdm! they're not considered body kits since those are oem, right? :)

endlessgwing
06-04-2010, 01:31 PM
and go here, it's cool:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/interactive.do?yr=2002&vid=013410

jbragg10
06-04-2010, 01:38 PM
thanks guys ... I know very well about those two sites. I have looked at them several times, but I just don't know if it's worth buying new rims if I don't plan on lowering it. Tough decision.

blue8g
06-04-2010, 02:45 PM
if you go with tein lowering springs on new struts/shocks it won't be bumpy, very comfortable imo

E_Emerson88
06-04-2010, 02:56 PM
1. If you want to get wheels, i suggest search around Craigslist and buy some on there. Look for some good quality, nice wheels. It may take some time to find some good ones but dont rush. Then buy new tires at a reputable shop.

2. 18's are nice for wheels. 19's fill the gap up a bit better but tires are expensive. New rims change the look of your whole car so its worth it IMO.

3. Like others said Tien springs and new shocks/struts will be a nice ride, not bumpy.

G-spot
06-04-2010, 03:01 PM
If you have
Adobe Photoshop you can lower your car in every pic and post it here but can still be driven at stock height. Best of both worlds I guess....

Reelax
06-04-2010, 03:17 PM
to me, getting bigger wheels and not lowering is a waste since bigger wheels will accentuate the wheel well gap and your car will "look" even taller even if ride height hasn't actually changed (if you get the right wheel/tire size combo maintaining the same overall total diameter as stock). some have thought that getting a taller overall diameter (stock is around 25") by using taller tires to fill wheel gap will let them circumvent lowering, but you open up new problems by doing this... speedo calibration, transmission and braking problems. whatever you your overall diameter for the wheels and tires should be as close as possible to 25" total.

EIBACH springs will lower it about 1.2" (the least lowering of popular lowering springs) and still yield the most acceptable lowered ride quality. many members that have lowered on these report almost stock ride quality.

jbragg10
06-04-2010, 03:25 PM
if you go with tein lowering springs on new struts/shocks it won't be bumpy, very comfortable imo

what struts/shocks would be good to purchase?

blue8g
06-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I was on KYB GR2, most prefer AGX

tbh IMO it doesn't make much of a difference they're both stock length dampers

Only difference to my knowledge is the adjustable dampening on the AGX's (variable ride firmness) which you prolly won't mess with

plus GR-2's are a lot less

E_Emerson88
06-04-2010, 05:33 PM
if your only doing a small drop, then you can get away with GR-2. But the AGX's are recommended