PDA

View Full Version : power window question

biggie6924
06-04-2010, 08:04 PM
i haven't been able to find this answer anywhere. my drivers side window stopped working replaced the switch, ran a hot wire to the plug on the door to i think the regulator ,or the motor, and i got nothing, so i am guessing it is either one of them. but my question is, the master switch is not working , the old or new one, the power door locks works but i can not control any of the other windows, but i can roll them down with each individual switch. i need to buy a continuity tester before i start buying a motor and regulator. just wondering if it is the motor or regulator would it cause the master switch to lose function to control the windows, or am i heading into a electrical nightmare, and not sure if it is related but the relay that controls the fan and a/c is acting up, only working when it wants, if you tap it it works, don't think it is related to the windows. sorry for the long post but bored at work and can't find the answers.

RedGalant2k1
06-04-2010, 08:11 PM
The motor and regulator for the power window is the same thing. As for the A/C, start with simply buying a new relay and see if that solves the problems.

biggie6924
06-04-2010, 08:23 PM
what do you think about the master switch though does that make sence that it is not controlling any of the windows now

Reelax
06-04-2010, 08:40 PM
make sure the harness is attached to the master switch. wiggle it. sometimes even if it is plugged in the contacts are not all completely engaged.

biggie6924
06-04-2010, 09:42 PM
checked all that that last thing i did was roll it up, when i tried to roll it down it made a crckly noise almost like a sizzle but not really. checked as much of the harness as i could with out completely disecting it. just figured i would try to get some other input before i replace the motor and god know what everelse

ezekiel.glnt
06-04-2010, 10:31 PM
i haven't been able to find this answer anywhere. my drivers side window stopped working replaced the switch, ran a hot wire to the plug on the door to i think the regulator ,or the motor, and i got nothing, so i am guessing it is either one of them. but my question is, the master switch is not working , the old or new one, the power door locks works but i can not control any of the other windows, but i can roll them down with each individual switch. i need to buy a continuity tester before i start buying a motor and regulator. just wondering if it is the motor or regulator would it cause the master switch to lose function to control the windows, or am i heading into a electrical nightmare, and not sure if it is related but the relay that controls the fan and a/c is acting up, only working when it wants, if you tap it it works, don't think it is related to the windows. sorry for the long post but bored at work and can't find the answers.
get a light tester and probe each wire before and after the connection while under a load to check for power , also that "crinkly" sound u heard could be the cable that pulls the window up n down,mine did that 2 weeks ago,the cable had ripped in 2.

biggie6924
06-05-2010, 02:15 PM
i will check for the ripped cable, thanks for teh heads up. i am just at a lose, because the power door lock button works on the master switch just none of the window buttons on either switch. when i am off next week i am going to pull the motor out and bench test it, lets keep our fingers crossed if anyone else has any input it would be helpful thanks again

BX-NY-7G
06-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Try opening the master window switch and see if there is any condensation on the contacts. Use a light sand paper and clean off any debri on the metal contacts. Be very careful. I had an issue where my passenger side window wouldn't go up or down from master switch , but worked fine on the individual door. I cleaned the switch up and it works perfect.

biggie6924
06-07-2010, 03:05 PM
nope tried both switches both looked fine. power door locks work fine on the master switch just will not control any of the windows. i don't get it. if the mot is gone in the drivers window will that affect the switch?