PDA

View Full Version : For those with shortram

JiP
03-07-2003, 01:57 AM
Anyone who has a shortram filter , or their filter atatched to the MAS still under the hood...GO CAI or go back to your stock airbox.

Curious about the air temperature differences, while I had my shortram the Intake Air Temp (IAT) was 140 F. Stock airbox setup is a mere 60 F.

These readings were taken at around 60-80mph and around 35 degress outside. I'll let you know the IAT of a CAI when I get around to actually putting one in.

BEAST
03-08-2003, 03:42 AM
Even so the short ram will still help ya a lot more than the stock air box no doubt about it. Even though it is warm air you are bringing in you are still sucking a lot more of it.

peanotation
03-08-2003, 05:06 AM
i put a thermometer sensor inside my CAI, and i get a constant IAT inside the cabin so i can monitor the air temp. on hot days (80-90 degrees F) the CAI runs at a blazingly hot 130 sometimes, since the ambient engine heat warms the surrounding air. on good days with 60 degrees F air temperature, the intake temperature in my CAI is a nice 70-75 degrees. not only does it sound more throaty and rumbly, but it feels more powerful, more responsive and at higher end RPMs it climbs faster. i need to install a heat shield one of these days.

krazienluv10
03-08-2003, 02:17 PM
does any body know how much of a difference it makes... thats a pretty big difference in temp soo how much hp of difference is there??

JiP
03-08-2003, 02:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krazienluv10)</div><div class='quotemain'>does any body know how much of a difference it makes... thats a pretty big difference in temp soo how much hp of difference is there??</div>

I can tell you this much, my datalogger shows at idle and partial throttle I pull a lot more air then normal becuase of the 60mm tb. When you compare throttle position with airflow they usualy are almost identicle for your average car, but with my 60mm tb there is much more airflow for a givin throttle position. That is with an aftermarket filter.

With stock fitler I am not seeing the increased airflow at low throttle points only at 60%+ throttle do I see a major increase, but its a little lower then with an aftermarket.

BUT with all that considered, I have MUCH better pickup, and 0-60 time increased as well with STOCK, not shortram. So the doubled air temperature makes a huge difference in response. I also am leaning towards the shortram being the cuase of my 14mpg as now im back up to 24 with stock filter.

Moosh
03-09-2003, 12:05 AM
That is weird. I have a K&N shortram installed and I haven't seen a difference between stock air filter miliage.

JiP
03-09-2003, 12:13 AM
I said "leaning toward" not definite https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Only things I changed where plugs and put stock box in. The old plugs were platniums only 2 months old. A shortram with 140 degree air is not a performance mod. You would be better off with your stock box. The SMALL gain in airflow ur getting with a shortram is being negated by the doubled air temperature, and lack of burnable oxygen.

GalantSpeed
03-18-2003, 11:40 AM
i have i guess you would call it a "medium air intake, it's not fully cold air but the filter sits where the battery was (battery is in the trunk), i haven't really noticed a difference in gas mileage but i have notices a huge difference in performance, my question is, what if i got some thermol wrap and wrapped my intake piping? wouldn't that cool the air down a lot?

JiP
03-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Your air would have to be moving pretty damn slow through the intake to be greated heated by the pipe's temperature. So no its not gona make a real difference.

This is what I did yesterday..havnt taken datalog yet, probably today. You know the stock airbox, the 3" hole that goes to the pipe behind the battery to suck air in? Took 3" dryer hose clamped it down to that hole, and the hose runs down to the side openning in the bumper facing into the air stream. Its like a CAI with stock box.

Removing the stock box and putting a nice K&n and new piping will USUALLY make you lose some low end power, and gain some high end. I spend most of my time in the low end spectrm here in the city so I'd like to keep my quick pick up and tire screatches.

Dark Anghell
03-18-2003, 10:28 PM
I would have to disagree on the thermal wrap. Try taking a little pipe, warm it up and start blowing air through it. The air will get warm. Same thing happens to the intake pipe. For the same reason the stock piping is so thick, less heat will go through, while the CAI piping that's like what 1/18" thick, that thing will heat up in no time.

Stock airbox will work, or if you route the intake into the battery location and build a heat-shield around it, or better yet, make a custom air-box that will completely surround the filter from all sides and the top, I bet it will help out with the air temps.

As for stock filter vs aftermarket, it's pretty simple. MAF senses increased airflow, it send the signal to the computer, and computer gives more fuel, thus the gas mileage is going to suck ass. K&N filters are very restrictive, that's why the gas mileage doen't go down as much. I have Blitz on my car (one of the least restrictive filters) and I get about 260miles on a full gas tank during city driving.

Another way to get better gas mileage is to lean out your car with SAFC if you have one. I can see a big difference. Especially in the 3200-4000RPM eange. It feels like a turbo kicking in, before the car is very sluggis with no power, but as soon as i reach that RPM level...I'm gone.

Half of this stuff is off topic...oh well

JiP
03-18-2003, 10:37 PM
The air will heat up, but it depends how fast its moving. But now that I think about it, I agree and say gay with thermal wrap, idle and low rpm response will be better.

As for stock airbox, Im using stockbox with stock filter. they do make K&n free flow filters for stock setups. The stock filters dont flow well thats why the mas dont read much increased air. But according to my datalogger...there aint much of an increase, every little bit helps though.