PDA

View Full Version : so much great 411, but still need help with tire rub

everbeentoarack?
06-15-2010, 10:28 AM
In 04 I stepped away from the 99 special edition eclipse and into the 03 Galant es 4 banger. I immediately noticed the wheel similarity and before I got rid of the eclipse the stock 17"s were sitting on my 8G. 215/55 all around and never had a problem long as the trunk wasn't loaded. Since I had the recalled rims and they bent to crap after an excursion with parking lot speed bumps I slapped on a set of Motegi 17's, still runnnin 215/55's. I just went out yesterday and scored a pretty sweet deal on some Yoko's, same size, but am leaving the tire shop with TEMPORARY wheel spacers :(
The bottom of the insulator (coil spring) up front bascially sits in the tire. Now im used to not have MUCH clearance, but never had it rub the tire before. I have no drop, though i am looking forward to getting RID of that nasty empty space up front someday. Is my suspension just worn? I see folks with WAY more wheel and tire under there than I and NO problems with rubbing. Please help.... I have been here for the last 2 hours trying to find a thread so I apologize if i missed it somewhere. Also thank you very much for the glove box fit, i thought for sure i was just doomed to deal with it for life!! Thanks much in advance!

4g63lover
06-15-2010, 10:32 AM
215/55/17 might be a little too tall, and depending on the offset of the Motegi's that could be causing the rubbing. Whats the offset on the Motegis?

03-Galant-ES
06-15-2010, 10:48 AM
215/55 is too tall you should run 215/50-17 or 225/45-17

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=18010

polishmafia
06-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Temporary wheel spacers? Sounds like bought rims with a bad offset for our cars and have tires that are too big.

HungarianHunter
06-18-2010, 01:49 AM
Temporary wheel spacers? Sounds like bought rims with a bad offset for our cars and have tires that are too big.

That's what I did I think. What's the easiest way to get a bit of camber so the tops of my tires tilt in a but under the fenders? I'm gonna roll those too, but I don't think that alone will be quite enough.