PDA

View Full Version : Hub Bearing going out?

RayDub
06-15-2010, 03:24 PM
I have had new tires and my 3g eclipse rims put on about a month ago and when I drive at highway speeds, banking or turning slightly to the right following the road I feel a rough sort of vibration in the steering wheel, gas pedal, and it's audible (sounds like a whooomph). I thought I had balance issues and it feels like it's the front left wheel. Could it be the bearing? I also used to get this problem on the real right side I would guess before I had the tires and wheels replaced, again at highway speeds between 60 and 70mph. Could anyone guess what this would be?

Stewi
06-15-2010, 06:08 PM
could be the bearing, could be the axle (CV). Lock the steering wheel in place with the key out, jack up the the front on both sides, support it on jackstands. grab the wheel (the rim not the steering wheel) and pull back and forth on it, if it has play, something is worn out. Usually if has alot of play its the hub/bearing. If it has a little it could be the bearing or it could be the tie rod end but the tie rod wouldnt make a whoomph noise. If there isnt any play and it feels tight, I would check the axle.

keith6110
06-15-2010, 06:43 PM
if its been over 50k miles since you have changed them, its probably a good idea to do change your wheel bearings anyway. Even if it's not the problem, at least you narrowed it down.

RayDub
06-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Lock the steering wheel in place with the key out, jack up the the front on both sides, support it on jackstands. grab the wheel (the rim not the steering wheel) and pull back and forth on it, if it has play, something is worn out.

Do you mean wiggle the wheel side to side? moving it back and fourth is gonna happen because it's moving on the transmission in park I would think.

if its been over 50k miles since you have changed them, its probably a good idea to do change your wheel bearings anyway. Even if it's not the problem, at least you narrowed it down.

I can get a new hub bearing for just about $110 from a guy I know who owns a Big O. I'm looking at Partstrain.com and I can't really tell which ones are good for the money. Also, the assembly looks easier to do than to pay to have it done.

Stewi
06-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Do you mean wiggle the wheel side to side? moving it back and fourth is gonna happen because it's moving on the transmission in park I would think.

I can get a new hub bearing for just about $110 from a guy I know who owns a Big O. I'm looking at Partstrain.com and I can't really tell which ones are good for the money. Also, the assembly looks easier to do than to pay to have it done.

No like In and Out, like grab both sides of the wheel (two hands) and pull it toward you and then push it towards the car, if you hear clicking or feel play, its not good.