PDA

View Full Version : top speed limiter

txreaper
06-15-2010, 08:23 PM
i am trying to find out if any1 out there has any idea on removing or overriding the speed limiter aka "govenor" lol. its annoying n just keeps me frm really seeing where i can max out. desperate for answers of advices or suggestions so get back at me.

M-Rod
06-15-2010, 08:29 PM
it's there for a reason. Plus, I highly doubt your car is stable/safe at those speeds.

2 things I can advise you:

1.) Modify the suspension and brakes to handle high speeds properly.
2.) I hope you plan on doing this at an actual track. Doing this on a public road would simply be idiotic.

blue8g
06-15-2010, 08:39 PM
it's there for a reason. Plus, I highly doubt your car is stable/safe at those speeds.

2 things I can advise you:

1.) Modify the suspension and brakes to handle high speeds properly.
2.) I hope you plan on doing this at an actual track. Doing this on a public road would simply be idiotic.

x1,000,000,000

johnygezony
06-15-2010, 08:42 PM
A kid i know did that with his Grand Am and he blew his transmission lol, needless to say he was an idiot

txreaper
06-15-2010, 09:16 PM
actually i already have a set of rims n tire set in my eye sight just waiting for da note to get paid off, second i do plan on installing slotted rotors with premium pads n shoes. and finally well ive gone racing on both street and drag before but i want to be able to go and compete on 1/4 miles tracks. theres nothing like the feeling of joy and proudness of knowing that you can actually go up against a v6 possibly a v8 lol

txreaper
06-15-2010, 09:18 PM
does any1 know about this ecuflash, cause ive been reading some threads reagrding this and from my point of view it seems like ppl are sayin that u can tune ur galant ecu wit this EcuFlash

dronesurfboards
06-15-2010, 09:40 PM
no need to override the speed limiter, our cars wont go past 100mph in the quarter with the mods youve done so far. worry about that later when start doubling or tripling your horsepower. just the honest truth

02redgalant
06-15-2010, 09:42 PM
actually i already have a set of rims n tire set in my eye sight just waiting for da note to get paid off, second i do plan on installing slotted rotors with premium pads n shoes. and finally well ive gone racing on both street and drag before but i want to be able to go and compete on 1/4 miles tracks. theres nothing like the feeling of joy and proudness of knowing that you can actually go up against a v6 possibly a v8 lol

did i miss something? lol usdm 8g's are uber slow

txreaper
06-15-2010, 09:48 PM
just cuz vr4 have stock turbos that doesnt mean u cant get a 8g 4g64 running just as fast or even more, so i wudnt count on judgeing a car just by its appearance or name. just saying

The_fresh_Galant
06-15-2010, 10:04 PM
I didnt kno our cars came with limiters on em???...i dont think mine has one..ive got it up there pretty good

Galantman03
06-15-2010, 10:11 PM
^ I've had mine up to 127ish... BUT I HAD SPECIAL PERMISSION FROM LOCAL SHERIFF, and he clocked me on an empty blocked off road....

M-Rod
06-15-2010, 10:11 PM
rims and tires don't exactly make your car ready. Also, drilled and slotted rotors won't make much difference if they are still the stock size. Needless to say, you won't need to worry about any top speed unless your 4g64 is turbo.

The_fresh_Galant
06-15-2010, 10:36 PM
^ I've had mine up to 127ish... BUT I HAD SPECIAL PERMISSION FROM LOCAL SHERIFF, and he clocked me on an empty blocked off road....

Yea mine was about 125...WAAYYYY out in one of those "No one will even be close to sight" places...since ive got 17"s an huge tires now..it wont do it again....But my point is why would some have a limiter an some not..jus ranges from different models and years?? I guess.

M-Rod
06-15-2010, 10:54 PM
IIRC, 4cyl Galants were limited to approx 128 and V6 models were around 138. I may be wrong but somehow I think that's what I read a few years ago.

blue8g
06-15-2010, 11:22 PM
just cuz vr4 have stock turbos that doesnt mean u cant get a 8g 4g64 running just as fast or even more, so i wudnt count on judgeing a car just by its appearance or name. just saying

Dude we all know the potential of the 4g64, what you don't realize is that removing a limiter will not make your car accelerate any faster.........There is ZERO chance of your stock 8g reaching 128 in the 1/4........or even 100 lol

I like the 4g64 alot but in stock form its pretty well worthless, it's a 2.4l yet it's only putting out 110ish whp.....that's awful

The auto is a pos for performance......

If anyone disagrees with my post please correct me

SPD_FRK
06-15-2010, 11:32 PM
does any1 know about this ecuflash, cause ive been reading some threads reagrding this and from my point of view it seems like ppl are sayin that u can tune ur galant ecu wit this EcuFlash
EcuFlash will do absolutely nothing for you unless you have performed some serious work to the engine. Even with a simple intake an exhaust done you will get very little gain in performance from those parts, or even with a tune.

Even with a tune, you will never reach the speed limiter in the 1/4, not unless you are spraying or running a turbo. Even if you wanted to remove/raise the speed limiter, what is the point/purpose? Unless you are road racing a closed course at a minimum of 90mph consistently and the engine is built to run in the higher RPM and speeds...then it is completely useless.

FYI, even the V6 platforms don't mess with the speed limiter...and that includes those racing the 1/4.

G-spot
06-15-2010, 11:41 PM
This thread reminds me of Bloody Arro's first thread on how he wants a governor so he could limit his speed to 75 mph.

SPD_FRK
06-15-2010, 11:46 PM
This thread reminds me of Bloody Arro's first thread on how he wants a governor so he could limit his speed to 75 mph.
That is more reasonable for some of these people...but I think 55 is a "fair" number for beginners :orangebiggrin:

02redgalant
06-16-2010, 12:03 AM

Dude we all know the potential of the 4g64, what you don't realize is that removing a limiter will not make your car accelerate any faster.........There is ZERO chance of your stock 8g reaching 128 in the 1/4........or even 100 lol

I like the 4g64 alot but in stock form its pretty well worthless, it's a 2.4l yet it's only putting out 110ish whp.....that's awful

The auto is a pos for performance......

If anyone disagrees with my post please correct me

wow couldn't of said better myself....reaper do us all the favor when you "have the feeling of joy and proudness of knowing that you can actually go up against a v6 possibly a v8" and watch them disappear into the distance...please do it on the track lol

03-Galant-ES
06-16-2010, 12:08 AM

This is a good response to you keeping up with a v6 or v8 right now

I had my car up to 212 MPH.

Then I woke up in a cold sweat and a big smile.

roflcopter.

The 8G 02-03 is limited at ~118mph clocked on gps. OP like the other said your car is slow...my car is slow, most of our cars are slow. Stop racing on the streets...and unless you're doing 1 mile or 1/2 mile drags on a track there is no reason to worry about the limiter right now. In autox or a real track you most likely wont hit over 100. Tires and brakes don't prepare your car to go fast so get that out of your mind. I am lowered on wide tires and have sway bar up front, but I dont think by any means it is safe for me to do certain speeds except in a closed off area. I prefer whipping a car around a corner at 30 then trudging past 110 very slowly. The human body doesn't feel constant speeds so if you want an adrenaline rush go out to a track where that shit belongs doing 30-40 around cones. If you have a death wish then keep it away from everyone else. Because you keep racing on the streets you will make a mistake and at best you will kill your car at worst you will kill someone else and you're somewhere in the middle.

galant doesn't really have a top speed. its just gets cut off when u hit the rev limiter at last gear, either it be 90 mph driving agains the wind of 200 falling off a cliff...

PS. The ecu limits fuel at the speed governor whatever year you got 99-01 is 127ish I believe and 02-03 like I said is 118 with our shitty ecus. When you have the power with your 4g64(most likely turbo) you will need new fuel maps with a standalone or piggybacked ecu which can also remove the limiter.

rez887
06-16-2010, 12:27 AM
theres nothing like the feeling of joy and proudness of knowing that you can actually go up against a v6 possibly a v8 lol

dude dont under estimate it, you can even catch up with V12

but only when youre sleep

03-Galant-ES
06-16-2010, 12:29 AM
dude dont under estimate it, you can even catch up with V12

but only when youre sleep

I said something similar already...or VegasMatt did. :-P

txreaper
06-16-2010, 09:56 PM
how can you even copete in a track with a car having its potentional held back. i owned a 96 4.6l t-bird , so when small 4cyl. came up to me i wud smoke them pretty easy, which is y i want better performance. i do plan on addin spray, and well if i didnt feel comfortable goin at those speeds i wudnt be doin it. my point is im a tuner fanatic and just want to be able to yeild as much as i can out of my ride. this isnt my first ride and i do familiarize myself with performance mods, so i appreciate all negative and positive feedback. every1 is entilted to there opinion, so keep sending them cuz all is positive feedback for me, regardless of wat it says

M-Rod
06-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Simple as this. The stock 4G64 is what's holding you back. If you want to stay N/A, you would need to fully build your engine by raising compression, etc. Otherwise, you need to go turbo. Other than that, it will always be slow no matter what.

starh4x
06-17-2010, 12:55 AM

lol k. pretty sure my stock vr4 would crap on your 8g even after you put an ebay intake and exhaust on.

03-Galant-ES
06-17-2010, 01:50 AM
how can you even copete in a track with a car having its potentional held back. i owned a 96 4.6l t-bird , so when small 4cyl. came up to me i wud smoke them pretty easy, which is y i want better performance. i do plan on addin spray, and well if i didnt feel comfortable goin at those speeds i wudnt be doin it. my point is im a tuner fanatic and just want to be able to yeild as much as i can out of my ride. this isnt my first ride and i do familiarize myself with performance mods, so i appreciate all negative and positive feedback. every1 is entilted to there opinion, so keep sending them cuz all is positive feedback for me, regardless of wat it says

If you really want my feed back then here it is. Keep the speed off the streets "tuner fanatic" speed limits on roads are there not only for your safety, but the safety of others as well. You are blasting down a street that is set at 40 at over 90mph someone is turning off the side streets and expects you to be doing around 40. Their judgement of wether or not they can make it is based off that speed limit. They decide they can normally make it, you plow into them at 90 mph on their driver side door and kill them congrats you got jail time. I dont care if this is your hundredth car each car reacts differently under different circumstances.

As I said in my last post, you want to go over 120 do it on a track, in order to go over 120 on the track you will have to be able to change your fuel maps and other tuning setting. So once you have coilovers, 17s with nice tires(preference) 225 or larger width up front 225 in rear, and other suspension mods as well as a turbo and a 5spd with evo ecu or other standalone then by all means on the track go over 120.

But right now going over 100 on the streets with your slow ass jap grocery getter makes you not a tuner fanatic but a straight up ricer. Take what you want from this, but please have consideration for others on the road.

Sphinx
06-17-2010, 02:01 AM
I enjoy the speed and performance of my G. Its difficult to maintain that admiration at times, especial after borrowing the best friends Audi.
To have fun day-in day-out I simply lowered my standards of performance! LOL Really, its true.

I look at what was a car of necessity and began to see the admirable traits. My G has a good basis to go from and thats what Im doing. In the process of making it a long term member of the family Im replacing worn out OEM parts with some after market fun parts. It gets the job done while adding charm and character to an other wise dull mid size family sedan. As i have a mid sized family its a very good fit for us.

Ill keep the real expectations for performance set aside for the motorcycle in my future.

2 cents.

E_Emerson88
06-17-2010, 02:40 AM
where is the turbo kit that Auto posted before so he can go faster???

WhiteGalant
06-17-2010, 02:47 AM
Hahahahaahah I remember auto LOLOL

AktionCat
06-25-2010, 03:44 PM
I use forza 3 as my tuning/base/ideas/driving/whipping/speeding/crashing.

Then transfer said details into REAL LIFE. Results yield excellence & increase whp by v12 fold.

True story brose :>