PDA

View Full Version : Five speed swap help

00galantguy
06-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Me and bsilver23 were working on the trans part of the 5 speed swap when we came across these problems. Main one is we couldnt get the bolt off the trans as pictured below. Also we couldnt get the passenger side axle out but we did get both bolts out. Help! We are going to try and get a breaker bar in there tomorrow just looking more for suggestions of what other people tried and had some success with. (hint: its the bolt the socket is on)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/transamlova212/SU1HMDA0MjItMjAxMDA2MTUtMjEzOC5qcGc.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/transamlova212/SU1HMDA0MjMtMjAxMDA2MTUtMjEzOC5q-1.jpg

03-Galant-ES
06-16-2010, 12:23 AM
use a longer bar to make more torque one of you hold it on the other lean on the long bar. The torque should loosen it up well enough for it to eventually be able to be done with a regular 1/2'' drive when reinstalling clean all bolts and holes and antiseize each bolt. I swear by that shit.

As for the axles I believe you just need to get them to loosen up there is probably alot of dust and grime seizing it in place. You may need to take a torch to it. Be gentle, but the heat may give you some extra room to get it to budge.

This is just general automotive experience, I would wait for someone with specific experience with swaps to reply saying yay or nay for my methods.

beam514
06-16-2010, 03:34 AM
My breaker bar wouldn't fit in that awkward position (yes.. it's very awkward.. especially with the distributor in the way) SO I used a piece of metal pipe that we have from an old vacuum cleaner. That metal pipe has served us well when it comes to giving us more leverage :)

as for the axle, do you mean it won't come out of the hub? or the transmission

00galantguy
06-16-2010, 03:51 AM
My breaker bar wouldn't fit in that awkward position (yes.. it's very awkward.. especially with the distributor in the way) SO I used a piece of metal pipe that we have from an old vacuum cleaner. That metal pipe has served us well when it comes to giving us more leverage :)

^^ both lol

beam514
06-16-2010, 04:08 AM
for the transmission side:
You know that little emergency jack kit in the trunk? it has the two-piece lug wrench thingy. Use the pry bar end of that one piece to get the axle out of the transmission. Gotta wedge it between the axle and somewhere on the transmission. That worked for me.

Hub side:
rubber mallet is all I can say. That, or using both people, find the "sweep spot" of the angle or whatever of the entire assembly that allows the axle to slide the easiest. Spray some PB blaster or WD-40 for good measure.

beam514
06-16-2010, 04:10 AM
and another question for you guys:
did you guys remove the water housing? It would make the swap a WHOLE lot easier once you're trying to put the 5 speed in. I didn't take it off and I still don't know how I managed to get the transmission correctly mated to the engine. A lot of angling with our engine hoist I guess

bsilver23
06-16-2010, 10:31 AM

actually the axle is out on the axle side but it is still stuck in there on the transmission side. although the first couple threads on the axle where it goes through the hub got messed up cuz my friend banged it out with a hammer, so now i have to file it down or something

bsilver23
06-16-2010, 10:33 AM
and another question for you guys:
did you guys remove the water housing? It would make the swap a WHOLE lot easier once you're trying to put the 5 speed in. I didn't take it off and I still don't know how I managed to get the transmission correctly mated to the engine. A lot of angling with our engine hoist I guess

we did not remove the water housing, but that should help a lot if it is off...i have no idea how to remove it, however.

Rizzzo29
06-16-2010, 11:00 AM
ill be there to today bsilver23^^

bsilver23
06-16-2010, 11:08 AM
oh nice, this will help you for when its time to do yours

Rizzzo29
06-16-2010, 11:17 AM
exactly :) except your v6 correct? not to much of a diff but..

got a spare clutch fluid resevoir or shifter cables?????? lol

bsilver23
06-16-2010, 11:19 AM
yeah im a v6, i dont have any spares sorry ha, but i do have an extra brake pedal

4g63lover
06-16-2010, 03:40 PM
I used a 1/4" ratchet and a 14mm socket to take the bellhousing bolts out. They shouldnt be giving you a hard time at all.

Galant306m
06-16-2010, 04:39 PM
you need help?? haha i can come help sometime this week

M-Rod
06-16-2010, 07:19 PM
we did not remove the water housing, but that should help a lot if it is off...i have no idea how to remove it, however.

You won't need to remove it.

beam514
06-16-2010, 07:27 PM
You won't need to remove it.

how in the world did you mate the transmission to the block? My transmission kept hitting the water housing where that little "U" on the top of the bellhousing is. It was nearly impossible to maneuver it around the water house without hitting the pressure plate or the K frame

M-Rod
06-16-2010, 07:47 PM
I have no idea how it went together so easily. My engine was sitting at a pretty steep angle though. And something funny that just came to mind. Remember when I called asking how the transmission is supposed to come out? I missed a bolt on the bottom of the bellhousing. My friend and I were giving each other shit about that bolt for the longest time afterwards.

bsilver23
06-16-2010, 09:55 PM
I have no idea how it went together so easily. My engine was sitting at a pretty steep angle though. And something funny that just came to mind. Remember when I called asking how the transmission is supposed to come out? I missed a bolt on the bottom of the bellhousing. My friend and I were giving each other shit about that bolt for the longest time afterwards.

were you still able to get that one you forgot about on the bottom easily or did you have to approach it in a different way since all the top ones were already out?

M-Rod
06-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Yeah, it was right out in the open on the engine side.

bsilver23
06-16-2010, 11:36 PM
did you just use a 14mm socket?

2 of the lower ones are on there pretty dang tight

beam514
06-17-2010, 12:30 AM
14mm socket + breaker bar is your friend. Those bolts were only torqued to about 60 or so ft lbs back at the factory, but that was like 10 years ago. Those things will be pretty tight when you try to loosen them now

Galant306m
06-23-2010, 01:26 AM
I have a question for you 8g guys....... yea

So the passenger side half shaft is two pieces with IDK WHY THE HELL THEY DID THAT CRAP. So the half that goes into the trans has to be the manual eclispe one but the bracket that holds the bearing does not line up on the block which is odd cause well the trans and the engine are the same. Any ideas on what the problem could be im thinking i need to disassemble that bearing bracket and get it to sit back a bit further????

beam514
06-23-2010, 04:49 AM
whoa whoa what do you mean it's two pieces? and how far off from the mounting holes on the block is it?

Okay so you got a half shaft with the bearing and bracket still attached from the JY I assume? If so, you just bolt that whole thing up and then attach the normal driveaxle. Or did you take something apart?

Galant306m
06-23-2010, 06:53 AM
he said that we had to switch the brakets plus the mushroomed over the threads on the half shafts so we replaced them with new ones. Now we have everything back together, when we put it in the trans the mounting bracket is not lining up right.

beam514
06-23-2010, 01:49 PM
so what exactly from the A/T are you using and what from the M/T?

bsilver23
06-23-2010, 02:26 PM
we are using the half shafts from an eclipse and the passenger side intermediate shaft from the eclipse also

beam514
06-23-2010, 02:31 PM
ahh this is confusing. Okay you are using both the drive axle and the intermediate axle shaft from the M/T Eclipse. You swapped over the bracket for the intermediate shaft from.. what? any pics of what's going on?

Galant306m
06-24-2010, 03:33 PM
new problem, we are bleeding the clutch system, the old slave was bad picked up a new on for 20 bux but still after bleeding it for a while it is not working properly, how does it engage with the clutch fork? the slave and everything works properly but will not move the clutch fork, i thought that the fork should move back and forth with the rod from the slave. Please help me if you can maybe it is working the right way but i dont think that it is cause the throw out bearing will not be working right.

beam514
06-24-2010, 03:43 PM
You know the little black lever that the slave pushes? have you pushed that to the right yet to engage the TOB to the pressure plate? Then fill the hydraulic system and bleed it. After you're done bleeding and you push in the pedal, is there any fluid coming out anywhere? Is the slave rod moving at all?

bsilver23
06-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Forgot to put this little circle thing on the end of the TOB. Now we have to remove the transmission again to put it on. That is why the fork would not catch onto the pressure plate

Galantman03
06-24-2010, 11:16 PM
^the pivot ball? oh snap... lol

beam514
06-24-2010, 11:24 PM
circle thing on the end of the TOB? I have no idea what you're talking about lol

bsilver23
06-25-2010, 01:01 AM
its okay we got it figured out..just finishing up now

bsilver23
06-25-2010, 04:59 AM
swap finished!! but the brake pedal was kinda stuck down and i didnt adjust it prior to driving the car....so i pretty much messed up my pads and rotors.:thumbdown:

beam514
06-25-2010, 05:08 AM
all right! I guess your axle problem magically went away? lol

now break in that clutch, replace those pads and rotors, then have fun :)

Galant306m
06-25-2010, 05:53 AM
Yea didn't know that the v6 was a pull style clutch had to put the engagement ring in works well now that it all adjusted but yea brakes where a bit messed up lop three times in and out with that trans to get it right lol I'm now a pro at it

bsilver23
06-25-2010, 10:42 AM
when we were driving the car, the speedo wasnt working...mitch hooked up the speedo harness on the car to the plug on the trans, is that right or is there something different you are supposed to do?

beam514
06-25-2010, 01:18 PM
that should be it for the speedo. I'm not aware of any speedo problems for the 99-01

4g63lover
06-25-2010, 04:28 PM
congrats!

M-Rod
06-25-2010, 04:34 PM
speedo sensor on the trans could be bad.

Galant306m
06-25-2010, 05:01 PM
thats what im thinking matt, should put the one from the auto in the manual i think they are the same thing, my 5spd was missing the speedo sensor i just put the one from the auto in the manual lol ill see if it works if i ever the get this car started.

4g63lover
06-25-2010, 05:20 PM
I used the auto speed sensor in my car, it SHOULD work.

bsilver23
06-25-2010, 07:54 PM
yeah it doesnt work still...ha and my odometer isnt working either lol, the mileage is stuck at 114001...i wish it was one mile less that would be great

i love my car so much now!!!

Galant306m
06-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Well if it can't read how fast you are going how would it know how many miles you have gone

SPD_FRK
06-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Glad to see you guys got the stuff sorted out, have to admit it was kind of funny talking to Mitch and finding out something was forgotten lol.

thats what im thinking matt, should put the one from the auto in the manual i think they are the same thing, my 5spd was missing the speedo sensor i just put the one from the auto in the manual lol ill see if it works if i ever the get this car started.
The 5spd and A/T Speed sensors are identical. If you need a new one let me know

bsilver23
06-26-2010, 12:51 AM
ah man my whole body just sunk to the ground when i heard that the transmission had to come back out

i think i may need a new sensor because it is plugged into the transmission

Galant306m
06-26-2010, 05:06 AM
Brian just change it out for the one on the at its not that hard to do just two 10mm bolts pops right one and goes right in.

SPD_FRK
06-26-2010, 08:45 AM
ah man my whole body just sunk to the ground when i heard that the transmission had to come back out

i think i may need a new sensor because it is plugged into the transmission
Yea, it sucks when you have to go back a few steps. It happens though

Brian just change it out for the one on the at its not that hard to do just two 10mm bolts pops right one and goes right in.
x2 hopefully that will get you a working speedo

Stewi
06-26-2010, 10:06 AM
I used the auto speed sensor too and worked for me.

dknight3
10-30-2010, 04:09 PM
You know the little black lever that the slave pushes? have you pushed that to the right yet to engage the TOB to the pressure plate? Then fill the hydraulic system and bleed it. After you're done bleeding and you push in the pedal, is there any fluid coming out anywhere? Is the slave rod moving at all?
I almost shat my pants when i saw that the slave cylinder was already fully engaged, and i was trying to bleed it. i thought i was gunna have to start over right after i got both axles in, hahaha