PDA

View Full Version : White Smoke/Exhaust

94Galant
06-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Ok to make long story short.

I have a 94 Galant LS that sat around for 2 years cause of blown head, well recently i got tired of my truck cause of gas prices, anyway...My dad just replaced the head/gaskets, radiator, thermstat, and few other things. Now i have been driving the car out of town for 1-2 days now, when parked the car at work today white smoke is coming out of the exhaust from the front to back.

Could this just be from the car sitting for 2 years and its burning off, or do i have some other issue like, burning oil, or maybe antifreeze in head. Until i can talk to my dad any thoughts would be appreciated

evil-G-nius
06-18-2010, 12:44 AM
well its hard to say....but I would drive it regularly for at least a week to see if anything changes. If the white smoke has a bluish tint to it then its burning oil...it could also be burning off some coolant as well. Is it only on start up? does it smoke when you accelerate?

mko
06-18-2010, 03:47 AM
dont forget to re-tighten your head bolts after 500-1000 miles

if antifreeze got to the exhaust then its proly burning it off

Hows the smoke - is it really thick at all times or light smoke only when you rev the engine

94Galant
06-18-2010, 06:33 AM
To answer evil-G-nius', it only does this after i have been driving, like yesterday after i got to work which is about 15-20 min drive depending on traffic on interstate.

Mko's question, its light smoke seems like its mostly coming out around the catalytic converter. When i park seem to mostly steaming out of those areas

I will also remember to tighten the head bolts cause its around the 500-100 mile mark now,

Spartan251
06-18-2010, 08:16 AM
sounds to me like its burning off oil that ran down the exhaust. since it has to get hot before it starts, and sounds like its coming off the exhaust not out of it.

make sure you arent leaking out the headgasket on the backside of the block.

when its cool I would see if you could clean the exhaust off, or just keep driving it. it will all burn off eventually. personally I would clean it.

gordonjj
07-16-2010, 10:37 AM
To answer evil-G-nius', it only does this after i have been driving, like yesterday after i got to work which is about 15-20 min drive depending on traffic on interstate.

Mko's question, its light smoke seems like its mostly coming out around the catalytic converter and exhaust (http://www.allexhaust.com) sections. When i park seem to mostly steaming out of those areas

I will also remember to tighten the head bolts cause its around the 500-100 mile mark now,

If the smoke does not disappear after the car is warmed, you have a problem. Check out the following:
Transmission fluid may be entering the intake manifold through vacuum modulator.
Check the Cylinder head gaskets.
Cylinder head(s) may be warped or cracked.
The engine block may be cracked.

wileynote
07-23-2010, 05:24 PM
what about kooks exhaust systems (http://www.allexhaust.com/)